Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 12:53 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by millr View Post
The OP said he left Miami, because he couldn't stand the heat.
Yeah I just saw that. Honestly, from everything the OP is posting. He is NOT in a good situation/position to move to San Diego. No offense, but this is exactly the type of situation where you shouldn't be moving to San Diego unless you have a small fortune or lots of savings and solid, stable cash flow each month from investments/pension/etc.

Sometimes in life I think you can't always have what you want or necessarily live where you want. I lived in Dallas for many years. Not necessarily because I wanted to but the job market was very strong, cost of living was low, no State income taxes.

And now I live in San Diego. Sometimes patience pays off, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 12:55 PM

353 posts, read 814,300 times
Yes Miami is very humid and unbearable to me at least.....

Old 08-26-2012, 01:02 PM

353 posts, read 814,300 times
And I can speak ,read and write Spanish fluently. I also can understand,more than I can speak Brazilian Portuguese.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:05 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
If you're fluent in Spanish, you may be able to get a fast food job, but even those jobs require applying online.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:44 PM

61 posts, read 290,636 times
There's a HUGE difference between Miami and San diego.
San diego has perfect DRY heat.
Miami is hooot and humid.

As far as saving for enough money
You never will

You'll never have enough.

My philosophy is if you can do it,
Do it now
Or forever wish u did

Old 08-27-2012, 01:41 PM

316 posts, read 666,089 times
After coming out here a few months ago with two college degrees (a Bachelor's in Information Technology and an Associate's in Criminal Justice), all I can say is this: there ARE jobs available here. Whether anyone gets back to you, however, is another thing.

I've worked for a temp agency for the last five years. When I decided to come out here, I contacted the local office regarding a transfer. Through those discussions I felt confident I would have *some* work available; maybe not full time, and maybe not every day, but *some* work. The one thing I did not expect, and was unprepared for, was to be blown off - not just by the person with whom I was communicating with at the temp agency, and not just by the local office of the temp agency as a whole, but by EVERY position I have applied for. The temp agency even had several positions listed on their website for which I was qualified; I applied but never heard back. I followed up about a week after submitting each application- no response. I then inquired if the position was even still available. Still no response. A Navy friend had mentioned that a contracting company that did work on her ship was looking for people. She gave them the contact info for the temp agency, but nothing ever happened. She then gave them my contact info under the premise that they would just hire me direct. I still never heard anything. I came out here [primarily] so I could apply and go through the process for the San Diego Police Department, who is currently hiring. I had previously been told it takes 3-4 weeks to review the application, and if found qualified, to schedule a test date. It's been just over eight weeks, and no [official] word as of yet.

I guess that's the "flakiness" of San Diego I had heard about. I've been sleeping on a friend's couch, who fortunately doesn't require rent (as I house/dog sit for her), but regardless, I can't afford to wait any longer and find myself having to go back to NM with the hopes that I can try all this again at a later time. It's unfortunate, because I fell in love with this area and really wanted to call it home. Maybe even (egad!) raise a family here. I followed my dream, but it appears we got separated. Your mileage, of course, may vary. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times
hang in there Matt and don't give up yet. 2 months of job searching really isn't that long.

try taking your resume to some places in person. my dad just did that and wound up getting hired by that company a week later. i'm sure things will work out for you

Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
After coming out here a few months ago with two college degrees (a Bachelor's in Information Technology and an Associate's in Criminal Justice), all I can say is this: there ARE jobs available here. Whether anyone gets back to you, however, is another thing.

I've worked for a temp agency for the last five years. When I decided to come out here, I contacted the local office regarding a transfer. Through those discussions I felt confident I would have *some* work available; maybe not full time, and maybe not every day, but *some* work. The one thing I did not expect, and was unprepared for, was to be blown off - not just by the person with whom I was communicating with at the temp agency, and not just by the local office of the temp agency as a whole, but by EVERY position I have applied for. The temp agency even had several positions listed on their website for which I was qualified; I applied but never heard back. I followed up about a week after submitting each application- no response. I then inquired if the position was even still available. Still no response. A Navy friend had mentioned that a contracting company that did work on her ship was looking for people. She gave them the contact info for the temp agency, but nothing ever happened. She then gave them my contact info under the premise that they would just hire me direct. I still never heard anything. I came out here [primarily] so I could apply and go through the process for the San Diego Police Department, who is currently hiring. I had previously been told it takes 3-4 weeks to review the application, and if found qualified, to schedule a test date. It's been just over eight weeks, and no [official] word as of yet.

I guess that's the "flakiness" of San Diego I had heard about. I've been sleeping on a friend's couch, who fortunately doesn't require rent (as I house/dog sit for her), but regardless, I can't afford to wait any longer and find myself having to go back to NM with the hopes that I can try all this again at a later time. It's unfortunate, because I fell in love with this area and really wanted to call it home. Maybe even (egad!) raise a family here. I followed my dream, but it appears we got separated. Your mileage, of course, may vary. I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks for sharing your story Matt. I'm sure this is the type of thing that happens over and over to many people that move out here. The big difference is that people tend to only post on this board when things work out for them but most of the people in your situation don't come back here and post things like this.

But it's also good to read about posts like yours which is a realistic situation. There is just a tremendous demand from people looking I think many employers just don't have time to personally even email back. I've heard stories like that over and over.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, for every post you read about "San Diego working out for me" there are probably 100 people where things didn't work out and they packed up and quietly left. I do wish you the best of luck and hope you find something here eventually. But I also do believe you have to set a time limit and goal of when you have to find a job by and if you don't find something that works, you have to face reality and move to a city where it makes sense for you and your finances and future.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Many of the jobs posted by agencies not only do not exist but never existed. They are fishing expeditions by recruiters to get resumes and shop them around to hiring managers. Just desperate recruiters trying to build up their book of business in SD.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:30 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post

There is a lot of nepotism In the government contracting business right now!
I just turned down a job recently With a company contracted by the government.
I Guarantee i would not have got the job offer if my friends dad didn't Co-own the business.
The whole family and his friends all work there.
I still would like to know how They circumvent EOE
Anyways stay At it man you'll find something
Start making you face know around business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego