Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
My folks live in Ramona facing the valley where the airport is. The plane noise is not bad with the exception if there is a fire in the area and the bombers take off.
Thanks for the information.

I do not think that Ramona will be a great big hub for anything...not too worried about expansion.

Any idea what those mysterious buildings house on the airport grounds...hangars....maintainence shed???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
They have several small hangars, but I think those are mostly for private rental.

If they have shippers or any kind of meaningful cargo, it is not noticeable, at least to me.

Give them a call: (760) 788-3366.

Also, their web site seems to indicate that they are not open at night.

BTW, the picture that I posted yesterday is from Highland Valley Rd., about a mile from the air strip.

Kool, thanks again, thanks for the number...great pic!

Old 08-29-2012, 01:20 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Here is the listing for the airport from AirNav.

AirNav: KRNM - Ramona Airport

If you're worried about noise, here is something relevant

VOLUNTARY JET CURFEW 2200-0700. NOISE ABATEMENT: TKOF CLIMB ON RY HDG UNTIL 1900 FT MSL.

So that means while there's no rule against a jet aircraft taking off between 10PM and 7AM, they frown upon it. Also, you've got to fly straight out until you get to 1900 feet, by which time they figure there will be enough distance so you won't make too much noise.

The runway is long enough for business jets to get in and out of there but it's not large enough for large passenger jets to do it. It gets hot there in the summer, and that means an aircraft is going to need more runway to get off the ground.

Here are the aircraft operations.

Aircraft operations: avg 290/day
72% local general aviation
27% transient general aviation
<1% military
<1% air taxi
for 12-month period ending 31 December 2011

So you've got about 290 takeoffs or landings per day. Much of that, as you can see, is for local general aviation. That's guys taking flying lessons or taking their aircraft up for fun. Then you've got 27 percent for transient general aviation. This is where you will find either guys doing cross countries for training purposes or business jets flying in and out.

If I were to guess, I'd say about 90 percent of the aircraft operations will be single engine prop planes. These make the least amount of noise -- it's like a lawnmower in your neighbor's yard. And the good thing is that you get very little operations involving military aircraft. Those are the noisiest. Nowadays, commercial jets use high bypass engines, which are quieter and more efficient but they also take time to spool up and generate thrust.

Military aircraft need to be able to give you all their power just like that and they need higher thrust to weight ratios. Fuel economy is not as much of a concern, so they go with low bypass engines. These are also a hell of a lot noisier.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:27 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
The same traffic as the one here in Clairemont and it is not bad at all. You do hear the occasional small jet.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Four dead in head-on crash near Ramona:
Four dead in head-on crash near Ramona | UTSanDiego.com

Old 08-29-2012, 10:11 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Four dead in head-on crash near Ramona:
Four dead in head-on crash near Ramona | UTSanDiego.com
Had to be someone trying to pass another car. People haul a$$ on that road.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Here is the listing for the airport from AirNav.

AirNav: KRNM - Ramona Airport

If you're worried about noise, here is something relevant

VOLUNTARY JET CURFEW 2200-0700. NOISE ABATEMENT: TKOF CLIMB ON RY HDG UNTIL 1900 FT MSL.

So that means while there's no rule against a jet aircraft taking off between 10PM and 7AM, they frown upon it. Also, you've got to fly straight out until you get to 1900 feet, by which time they figure there will be enough distance so you won't make too much noise.

The runway is long enough for business jets to get in and out of there but it's not large enough for large passenger jets to do it. It gets hot there in the summer, and that means an aircraft is going to need more runway to get off the ground.

Here are the aircraft operations.

Aircraft operations: avg 290/day
72% local general aviation
27% transient general aviation
<1% military
<1% air taxi
for 12-month period ending 31 December 2011

So you've got about 290 takeoffs or landings per day. Much of that, as you can see, is for local general aviation. That's guys taking flying lessons or taking their aircraft up for fun. Then you've got 27 percent for transient general aviation. This is where you will find either guys doing cross countries for training purposes or business jets flying in and out.

If I were to guess, I'd say about 90 percent of the aircraft operations will be single engine prop planes. These make the least amount of noise -- it's like a lawnmower in your neighbor's yard. And the good thing is that you get very little operations involving military aircraft. Those are the noisiest. Nowadays, commercial jets use high bypass engines, which are quieter and more efficient but they also take time to spool up and generate thrust.

Military aircraft need to be able to give you all their power just like that and they need higher thrust to weight ratios. Fuel economy is not as much of a concern, so they go with low bypass engines. These are also a hell of a lot noisier.

Thanks a LOT tonyinsd, great information and link..........very helpful.

I guess you would be doing pretty good if you do not line up with an area under the takeoff path. I wonder if that 1900 feet ascent before banking is a rule, regulation, law or just a recommendation??

Old 08-31-2012, 09:34 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Thanks a LOT tonyinsd, great information and link..........very helpful.

I guess you would be doing pretty good if you do not line up with an area under the takeoff path. I wonder if that 1900 feet ascent before banking is a rule, regulation, law or just a recommendation??
It's only a recommendation. However, pilots generally follow the noise abatement procedures. You are trained from the get go to treat the neighbors with respect. You don't want to be the pilot who causes the airport operator to get noise complaints.

Yes, the airport was there when you moved in, and yes, you should expect aircraft noise. That doesn't mean a pilot has to be a jerk about it.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
It's only a recommendation. However, pilots generally follow the noise abatement procedures. You are trained from the get go to treat the neighbors with respect. You don't want to be the pilot who causes the airport operator to get noise complaints.

Yes, the airport was there when you moved in, and yes, you should expect aircraft noise. That doesn't mean a pilot has to be a jerk about it.

Thanks Again tonyinsd, great information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego