U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:16 PM

25 posts, read 32,698 times

Advertisements

I am so sick of where I live. A small insane town NE of Seattle. I want to move away to San Diego and enjoy the sun and a new begining. I obviously know I need to find work first though. I've been working in accounting for 12 years and I also have experience as a server. I am only 31 and want to do this while I'm still young. How is the job market? The people? Do I stand a chance? I am coming down next month to check it out and hopefully get some interviews beforehand. Mabye I could get by cocktail serving until I found an accounting job?
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 03:25 PM

2,984 posts, read 4,188,138 times
do you have an accounting degree and or cpa? i'm sure you would be fine finding SOMETHING with your experience and either a degree in accounting or even better being a CPA.

my dad just found his 2nd job in SD as a tax accountant at nearly 56 years of age. He's making above 6 figures as well so there are jobs to be had in accounting

Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 PM

25 posts, read 32,698 times
No, I am more an accounting clerk. As in I do AR, AP, payroll...that sort of thing...which every company needs. I do not have a degree, but I do have a lot of experience, great references, and work history.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 10,020 times
Hello JoJoMoGo and GMUAlum08,

I strongly apologize for getting into your discussion, but I certainly couldn't help it. I have to inform that I am also tired of living where I am at. As some people in the forum knows, I have lived in Las Vegas, Nevada for most of my life and want a new start in a city with good weather. I look frequently at the posts since I became a member of this forum and I have to mention that your posts really interested me because I am interested in the accounting field. I also need some help finding a job to move as soon as possible and I consider that you guys can give me some necessary advice and useful information. I actually want to know how to start getting some experience in the accounting field, because I actually have taken some accounting courses in college (I almost have my Bachelor's degree) and want to pursue a career in accounting. I want to know how hard it is to start getting the necessary experience in accounting at San Diego. I have experience in other types of jobs because I have had to work to pay for school, but I actually don't have any experience in accounting. I plan to continue my education at SDSU or UCSD and hopelfully thier career services can help me get at least an internship. I have to inform that any job in the business field is useful for me. Please let me know of any job openings because I am a young lady that only wants to finish school to become a CPA. I actually need an entry level job not only for experience, but to continue my education. I will certainly keep looking for positions because I have great references and work history (non-accounting related). I noticed that you guys wrote your posts earlier today, so I hope I receive a reply from you guys soon. I will certainly appreciate your advice and information. I will finish this message by thanking everyone for all the help and support I have recieved. I know that with all that help and support I will soon be out of Las Vegas.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:42 PM

14,714 posts, read 29,365,615 times
And they're a dime a dozen here, just like cocktail servers.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoMoGo View Post
No, I am more an accounting clerk. As in I do AR, AP, payroll...that sort of thing...which every company needs. I do not have a degree, but I do have a lot of experience, great references, and work history.

That's fine...like I said I'm sure you will be fine finding something given your experience but a lot of the clerk jobs pay 18-20 an hour from what I've seen

Old 08-29-2012, 05:55 PM

Carbm2000 are you getting your bachelors degree in accounting? If so you should start looking for entry level accounting positions and note on your resume that you are almost done with your degree and mention the specific accounting areas of study you have taken courses in. Then after you earn your degree, you will have to keep taking accounting and business courses to reach the 150 credit hours required to become a CPA.

I am in the process of earning my second degree in accounting while working full time as a staff accountant. Once I finish school next summer I am moving to San Diego where I plan to take the CPA exam. Becoming a CPA is the main goal when working in accounting. Once you are a CPA with experience you will be a valuable commodity with pretty good earning potential. Good luck

Old 08-29-2012, 07:45 PM

5 posts, read 10,020 times
Thank You for the advice and useful information GMUAlum08. I really appreciate it. Yes, I am planning in getting my bachelor's degree in accounting. I don't want to finish my degree here in Las Vegas, Nevada because I don't like the changes they have made to the higher education system since there has been alot of budget cuts. I have to also inform that here in Las Vegas, Nevada there is only one main university (UNLV). I consider that it is better for me, anyways, to finish my education in California because I want to take the CPA exam and start my career there. I am hoping to have better educational opportunities in California to meet the 150 credit hours. Can you recommend me some companies where I can search for entry level positions in accounting? What type of companies are the best to work for if you want an entry level position in accounting? It seems that I can receive very useful information and advice from you because you are working in your second accounting degree and working as a staff accountant. I know that you will soon be taking the CPA exam and become an accountant. I don't have anything else to inform for the moment, but I hope I receive a response to this message with an answer to the questions I already made. Good Luck to you too!

Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,790,786 times
Check out Accountemps or OfficeTeam and see if you can register with them. They might be able to find you a temp job that will tide you over until you get something better. No, you won't get rich, but you will get enough to pay the bills.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:14 PM

5,178 posts, read 11,837,643 times
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: