Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times

Advertisements

When we were renting a condo, water was paid by the owner We are landlords for a property in another state and we pay the water for our tenants usage so it is not out of the ordinary for landlord to oay water for a condo. we recently bought in SD and for 2 people the water bill was less than 70 for 2 months. My husband showers at the gym 4 days a week, i take all showers at home, and we have some garden plants to water and rinse off after swimming a few times a week,so it's not too bad. Our first electric /gas bills were under $35 ( hello coastal living), but then the last was $47 because we have been running the air at night. Not bad, but our house is very small. We got rid of our tv not long after we moved -partly because cable is a rip off and now mostly because it's nice not to have an idiot box. We have wireless through cox.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
These two links I thought were really interesting. Someone posted it on another forum where we were discussing water bills in San Diego and the area.

http://www.cbia.org/go/cbia/?LinkSer...92948EF86E49EA

http://www.calwater.ca.gov/Admin_Record/D-046947.pdf

Also, at least SDGE is consistent. We were gone this summer on vacation about 2.5 months. For the 2 full months when we weren't here the electricity/gas bills were almost exactly identical both months.

We had our water heater set on vacation mode and no one was in the house at all. We turned off the timers on the lights for all our outdoor lights except the front door and porch light which was only on from 8 PM until 10:30 PM. Of course we had everything plugged in our house like fridge/freezer, etc. Our monthly bill with no usage at all was $45 per month for everything so that was good to know that what we are paying just to have things plugged in.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:06 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,164 times
We pay for water at our rental and it's about $75 for the two of us (billed every 2 months).

Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
... But the water bill was quite an eye opener because we weren't here at all except for 5 days of the billing cycle. ....
One of my colleagues saw her water bill nearly double, all of a sudden. After a couple of months, she discovered that some outdoor water pipes were on the point of collapse. They'd apparently been leaking loads of water for those couple of months.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
When we were renting a condo, water was paid by the owner We are landlords for a property in another state and we pay the water for our tenants usage so it is not out of the ordinary for landlord to oay water for a condo. we recently bought in SD and for 2 people the water bill was less than 70 for 2 months. My husband showers at the gym 4 days a week, i take all showers at home, and we have some garden plants to water and rinse off after swimming a few times a week,so it's not too bad. Our first electric /gas bills were under $35 ( hello coastal living), but then the last was $47 because we have been running the air at night. Not bad, but our house is very small. We got rid of our tv not long after we moved -partly because cable is a rip off and now mostly because it's nice not to have an idiot box. We have wireless through cox.
This ^^

We actually spend less now with a SFH than with the condo we had downtown.

The condo had central AC (900 sw ft condo) which had to be run every evening because our unit had all street facing windows and it would get loud at times. Our bill was easily between 90-120/mo. Electric washer and dryer too.

In the 1k sq ft house we have now, with the exception of this summer, our electric/gas bill has been a steady $40/mo. In the winter it may jump to $60 for using the furnace for a few days when its chilly.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I'm in a 2B/1BA, no A/C (which has totally sucked the past couple weeks and I can't get a window unit because the windows aren't made for one -sorry, mini rant), not sure the sq. ft. but it's definitely more than 750 and my SDG&E bill has hovered around $25-30 a month since May. Goes up in the winter months when I turn up the heat but I don't think I've ever paid more than $50.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:05 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I have a 400sqft 1br/1ba cottage. My SD&G bill runs me $18-$20 during the summer, using two ceiling fans, and two box fans, and about $45-$50 in the winter, because I use a space heater.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 7,632 times
Thank you everyone so much .. Bad news the apartment I really wanted didn't have a/c so my boyfriend didn't want it .. I'm looking to live in hillcrest or ocean beach pb area but none of those have a/c units !! Any ideas on where to look .. I was thinking mission valley since they are newer buildings

Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
You don't really need a/c here, because it's only hot enough for it for a couple of months. You may find it hard to find a place that has it.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:09 PM

111 posts, read 328,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've never lived in a place where I had to pay for my own water. There are no other units in my building. I lived in a stand-alone, detached cottage, so it's just me.
Most Large apartment complexes make you pay for water/sewer/trash. None of the ones I rented had separate meters either they do the "average" so if your neighbor uses a ton, you and everyone else pays for it.

I wont rent anymore places that do this after last place the bill would jump from $60 to $100 and when I called the company (the apts have a third party biller) they blamed it on fees for the trash like when the dumpster is overfilled or someone put a sofa in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego