Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:19 PM

19 posts, read 41,763 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone has moved to San Diego from Boston. I'm looking for a comparison of cultures between the two places. Are people friendly? Is it easy to make lasting friendships? What are typical things that San Diegans discuss?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,978,417 times
The closest west coast counterpart to Boston is San Francisco in terms of culture and urban layout.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
I think San Diegans are more friendly than Bostonians - friendly in a "fake", surface-friendly sort of way. It takes a lot to try to get to know people around here. Small talk is what SD is all about.

At the coffee shops I hear natives talk about all sorts of things like - the Chargers, Padres, shopping, the latest Bar Method class or Yoga trend, the newest non-paleo style air diet, etc. Light talk, if you will. You won't hear San Diegans talking about Nietzsche or the current chatter from the Cato Institute, that's for sure.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
There are plenty of people in SoCal from Boston/Massachusetts areas. Boston and San Diego are two different universes. If that's what you're looking for (something completely different), then you will like it here. If you are looking for SD to be alot like Boston, it isn't anything like Boston and you won't like it. If you do a search for Boston on this forum there are alot of posts on comparing the two cities and might answer alot of your questions.

I agree with previous poster, people are generally friendlier but true friendships are more difficult to find. But like any other place, if you get involved in like-minded activities, it makes it easier. But this is a good city if you are young/single, IMO. SD is all about small talk and is a much more laid back city, where Boston is pretty aggressive.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post

At the coffee shops I hear natives talk about all sorts of things like - the Chargers, Padres, shopping, the latest Bar Method class or Yoga trend, the newest non-paleo style air diet, etc. Light talk, if you will. You won't hear San Diegans talking about Nietzsche or the current chatter from the Cato Institute, that's for sure.
Oh please, most people in Boston talk about the Patriots, Red Sox and how it's wishes it were more like NYC.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Oh please, most people in Boston talk about the Patriots, Red Sox and how it's wishes it were more like NYC.
Don't forget the Bruins and the Celtics.

In some ways, Boston has the same complex with New York as San Diego does with LA.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM

304 posts, read 871,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Don't forget the Bruins and the Celtics.

In some ways, Boston has the same complex with New York as San Diego does with LA.
Im biased because I am from Boston, but I dont think that is true. Boston knows its much different than New York and likes it that way (generally). I mean I know New York is massive and may be the first city that comes to mind when thinking of the U.S., but its not like Boston is lacking in name recognition, things to do, and likeability

Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM

304 posts, read 871,495 times
Ive had a few family members move from Boston to San Diego, and they love it. They love the climate.

They tell me San Diego is a little slower-paced and more conservative (at least economically so) than Boston, but a really cool place.

I believe San Diego is also hard to get around without a car than Boston is.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
Im biased because I am from Boston, but I dont think that is true. Boston knows its much different than New York and likes it that way (generally). I mean I know New York is massive and may be the first city that comes to mind when thinking of the U.S., but its not like Boston is lacking in name recognition, things to do, and likeability
I think we're talking about the same thing. Boston doesn't WANT to be like New York, even though New York thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. And thinking a little deeper, it's not just Boston that's like that. It's the whole eastern seaboard. DC, Baltimore, Philly...

In the same way, San Diego doesn't want to be like LA, and it's not just here. San Fran doesn't like them either.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallahasseehero1 View Post
I was making a tongue in cheek comment. Boston is definitely a great city. Although surprisingly, you get plenty of results when googling "Inferiority Complex Boston". It seems to be mostly related to sports and written by New Yorkers LOL.

inferiority complex boston - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego