Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 PM

389 posts, read 916,778 times

Advertisements

I will be staying In a hotel at Sports arena complex. I noticed there is a bus stop next to my hotel "sports arena Bi & 3737". It looks to me it's route can take it where I wanna to to in San Diego, sea world, gas lamp, uss navy, bolboa park, prom to Coronado Island. I will be staying there for 2.5 days. How often is bus stopping? Is it on time? I hope it will be stopping at least every 15 minutes. Can I easily get a bus or cab to Mission Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 12:31 AM

110 posts, read 382,621 times
Public transportation is awful in SD. If you want to hit up all those places (which are all over SD), your best bet is to rent a car or have a buddy chauffeur you around.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
Public transportation is awful in SD. If you want to hit up all those places (which are all over SD), your best bet is to rent a car or have a buddy chauffeur you around.
Could be more specific? Just saying its awful is not very credible to me. It does not have to be excellent like in Chicago or New York but quite adequate for a medium size city.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,944 times
To get from one of those places to another would take about 15 minutes in a car but if you wait around for a city bus then it will probably take two hours and involve at least two transfers. Just spend the $35 per day, rent a car, and know that you will be a lot happier. This is a major tourist town so there are signs every where and navigating around should not be an issue. If you are feeling extra skittish about finding your way around pay the extra $10 per day to get a sat nav in the car and it will give you turn by turn voice instructions.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 AM

111 posts, read 326,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Could be more specific? Just saying its awful is not very credible to me. It does not have to be excellent like in Chicago or New York but quite adequate for a medium size city.
The bus system sucks here, especially in the north county. I am not as familar with MTS as I am with the NCTD routes it takes hours to get anywhere because of how the routes are planned, you must transfer sometimes more than once too. What takes 30/40mins by car usually takes about 2hrs by bus. Also the sprinter up here is not as fast as people think, it is a 20mile stretch and takes one whole hour to go from Oceanside to Escondido, why because of the stops and the train stops at each stop unlike the bus. Some bus routes have 40stops but of course not always people getting on or off at each one

These people that praise the bus system or act like oh just take the bus, how about you try it and see, it is not a quick ride!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
"sports arena Bi & 3737" turns out to be 3737 Sports Arena Blvd. (address of the Sports Arena).

That's probably the bus route 9. It doesn't seem to go directly to many areas. So you'll need to transfer at least some of the time.

Here's the public transportation site for San Diego, so you can investigate your options: Transit.511sd.com

Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
"sports arena Bi & 3737" turns out to be 3737 Sports Arena Blvd. (address of the Sports Arena).

That's probably the bus route 9. It doesn't seem to go directly to many areas. So you'll need to transfer at least some of the time.

Here's the public transportation site for San Diego, so you can investigate your options: Transit.511sd.com
I see if I decide to go south, it will require at least one transfer. There is light rail that goes to downtown. Is it frequent on weekdays, on time? Northbound route seems ok and works for me though.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,916,964 times
Quote:
I will be staying In a hotel at Sports arena complex. I noticed there is a bus stop next to my hotel "sports arena Bi & 3737". It looks to me it's route can take it where I wanna to to in San Diego, sea world, gas lamp, uss navy, bolboa park, prom to Coronado Island. I will be staying there for 2.5 days. How often is bus stopping? Is it on time? I hope it will be stopping at least every 15 minutes. Can I easily get a bus or cab to Mission Beach?
I was in SD in July in the "south park" area. I somehow got the idea that I could walk to the museums from normal hts! In south park area, I waited for a bus that never came or was too slow. There is a very reliable bus that leaves from the airport (992, i think) $2.25/ 1 way. You might get a better rental car deal when you rent at an "off airport" location, which is what I normally do. There is an Enterprise between 9th and 10th (by an old post office), an easy walk to a bus that I take to get back to the airport.

You're much better off getting a rental car. Trust me on that.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM

15,109 posts, read 32,119,385 times
Quote:
I see if I decide to go south, it will require at least one transfer. There is light rail that goes to downtown. Is it frequent on weekdays, on time? Northbound route seems ok and works for me though.
It all depends on where you want to go. Check the MTS website for trolley times. Public transportation doesn't run as often on the weekends as they do during the week, and you could be waiting quite a while if you have to transfer.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:54 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
My car broke down in Bay Park. I took the bus, 2 hours to work off the 94 and I rode my bike the next day in 1 hour. Bus = no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego