Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 04:52 PM

34 posts, read 141,620 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving into a great place in Hillcrest, 1-2 blocks from Washington, and near 5th Ave. It seems like a really vibrant, good area for us to plant our feet, since we love downtown and want to be in an urban setting.

I searched the forums and didn't find too too much on Hillcrest as a neighborhood. As a mid-20s girl that's only been to Empirehouse a couple of times, and walked the streets a little bit, I'm not overally familiar with the vibe of the neighborhood, (other than its gay population).

- Is Hillcrest relatively safe? Safer than North Park and University Heights?
- Will we feel out of place being a straight couple, as far as nightlife goes?
- Is there anything else you can share about Hillcrest?

We can't wait to finally be in San Diego! (We started our journey in Hermosa Beach and realized LA just wasn't for us).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times
I think its a great area. Its a little too noisy and conjested for me (to live), but I am older than you. Not dangerous but there are plenty of tweakers out and about, although they are nicely mixed in with a huge variety of other people so it dilutes that aspect some. Hillcrest is just as strait friendly as gay friendly. Safety wise I would say it is similar to the parts of N.Park or Univ heights that have as dense a population or are as heavily visited. Obviously use common sense as there are a lot of panhandlers around. They leave you alone of you have your wits about you but I imagine if you leave your purse sitting on top of the car while you take your gorceries upstairs the temptation might call.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:32 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Although it seems like you are putting the cart before the horse; you're already moving in, Hillcrest will be a great place for a young straight couple that wants an urban vibe. I concur with Clevelandgal in that it's a little too noisy and congested for me now (we did live next to the Georgia St. bridge for years though)- parking, or even just driving through the area is a hassle- it is a fun and vibrant neighborhood when you are walking. I would say it is mostly safe, with a few bad apples either passing through or hanging around ready to take advantage of a situation- keep your urban street sense about you- stick to some muscle gay boys to take you under a temporary protective wing if you find yourself out without your bf and feel vulnerable for any reason.

San Diego and Hillcrest have thankfully matured mostly beyond a gayborhood and defined demographics mentality in bars and restaurants into a much more inclusive vibe. I bypass the gay bars of my youth and we head out with our mostly straight friends/couples to places like Nunus and the Imperial House with the infamous Rick Lyon at the keyboard for our fun in the neighborhood. Just like our neighborhood here- nobody cares much about who you date or are partnered with, just whether you are chill, fun and interesting to be around

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Hillcrest is a very diverse neighborhood, and by that I am NOT referring to the people. I'm referring to the dense apartment buildings along Balboa Park, around the hospitals, and on either side of University Avenue as you head east into North Park. Opposite of that, in areas west of 4th Avenue and the canyon you will find single family homes which you will also find just north of Balboa Park in the Morley Field area.

As for walkability, areas around the core of Hillcrest are very walkable, while if you end up renting off Reynaud way, you will find yourself in a very UNwalkable area. Same for the apartments along 4th, 5th, and 6th Avenues, those immediate areas are unwalkable, but unlike Reynaud way, within a few blocks you will find yourself back into the walkable core of Hillcrest.

Wherever you live, ask about parking. Don't assume parking is included. If you don't see a washer and dryer in the unit, ask about a laundry room.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM

643 posts, read 1,393,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love4travel86 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving into a great place in Hillcrest, 1-2 blocks from Washington, and near 5th Ave. It seems like a really vibrant, good area for us to plant our feet, since we love downtown and want to be in an urban setting.

I searched the forums and didn't find too too much on Hillcrest as a neighborhood. As a mid-20s girl that's only been to Empirehouse a couple of times, and walked the streets a little bit, I'm not overally familiar with the vibe of the neighborhood, (other than its gay population).

- Is Hillcrest relatively safe? Safer than North Park and University Heights?
- Will we feel out of place being a straight couple, as far as nightlife goes?
- Is there anything else you can share about Hillcrest?

We can't wait to finally be in San Diego! (We started our journey in Hermosa Beach and realized LA just wasn't for us).
Most people in Hillcrest are gay. You may have a hard time fitting in.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Wrong! Most people in Hillcrest are certainly not gay- you'll find more old retired folks living in the many apartment buildings marketed to them there than gays. There certainly are some more prominently gay marketed businesses (clubs, restaurants) there and that demographic will show up but just because there may be a few percentage points more than in other core neighborhoods doesn't get them anywhere near the majority.

That's like me saying most folks in El Cajon are redneck, truck driving yahoos and racists...

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Congested, noisy, somewhat walkable (depends), great access to parks and attractions, lively and relatively large commercial district. Most nightlife caters to the gays but otherwise it is much more diversified than it was in the 90s. Safety is relative, it is high population, hospital, tourist area so there is more crime than in other areas. I never feel unsafe there. Late nights after bars let out there is some street crime. Washington st corridor around the 163 canyon and west seems to be a magnet for transients, some harmless but many are hardcore meth addicts. Overall it can be a very very nice place to live depending on the property and your lifestyle. It is as close as it gets to "urban" in San Diego.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:23 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
Stereotype much? That's completely untrue.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 PM

244 posts, read 333,076 times
It is a great fun area for a young couple who like the downtown vibe without being right in downtown. Not to mention it is so close to Balboa Park, which I really miss. It is by far my favorite park in the world. (I miss you, San Diego ;_. North Park is right around the corner, but it is not a dangerous area at all. I had friends in both areas (North Park and Hillcrest) and spent lots of days/nights there. I never felt North Park was dangerous or crime infested. Hillcrest has great restaurants and yes, there are gay bars, but many straight people frequent them. It is culturally diverse, and I think you will love it.
Best of luck to you.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:48 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
Hillcrest was one of the first places I looked into before I decided I really wanted to be downtown. I think it's a cool place. Yes, it's louder than a suburban cul de sac and yes, there are more homeless and drunks, but that's what you get if you live in a more urban neighborhood. Hell, there are drunks and homeless in La Jolla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego