Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:35 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Excuse me? BMW on a Kia budget?

Yes, because $649 for the entry level phone is SUCH a bargain.

This pretty much says it all.

Seriously, man, people were telling me they were so disappointed with Apple because the maps function didn't work well and they were looking forward to the voice turn by turn.

I was like, really? My freaking Palm Pre had voice turn by turn. It's been standard on Android phones for YEARS.

Not impressed pretty much sums it up.
Amen, brother. It not only costs more but virtually every feature is inferior in every way. The only thing better is the look of the phone itself with the glass top and aluminum case but both of those scratch so easy the esthetic value doesn't last. Then there is Apple's outright BS like uninstalling Google Maps after you install it just to try to force people to use Apple's inferior map app. Oh, and that map app isn't going to get better any time soon either.

I understand why Apple wants to try to get a piece of Google's profits in maps/mapping but they're a third rate competitor compared to Google and only a retarded fanboy would use Apple's offering instead of Google's vastly superior in every measurable way app. That's why Apple had to take measures to try to force people to use Apple's app; which isn't the sign of a good product.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Shmoov,

I totally agree with you it's amazing what Apple has been able to do. Their numbers are always impressive. I know you're not a Fanboi. LOL. But the point is that Apple has millions of them that are. I have tons of friends that love them and got the new phone the first day.

I have to admit, I love Apple products but I agree with you this Maps fiasco was a clear tell sign of things of the direction of things. I seriously doubt Steve Jobs would have let the Maps fiasco happen. I see Tim Cook even had to come out with a public apology about it. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I upgraded to ios 6 and saw they automatically deleted Google Maps and replaced it with THAT junk. That's a clear mistake and a sign that management isn't making good decisions and signals a clear shift in their thinking and decision making process.

But I totally agree with you the numbers are impressive for only being a week or so and selling millions upon millions of phones in only a few countries. Any company would love those kinds of numbers.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Shmoov,

I totally agree with you it's amazing what Apple has been able to do. Their numbers are always impressive. I know you're not a Fanboi. LOL. But the point is that Apple has millions of them that are. I have tons of friends that love them and got the new phone the first day.

I have to admit, I love Apple products but I agree with you this Maps fiasco was a clear tell sign of things of the direction of things. I seriously doubt Steve Jobs would have let the Maps fiasco happen. I see Tim Cook even had to come out with a public apology about it. Quite frankly, I was shocked when I upgraded to ios 6 and saw they automatically deleted Google Maps and replaced it with THAT junk. That's a clear mistake and a sign that management isn't making good decisions and signals a clear shift in their thinking and decision making process.

But I totally agree with you the numbers are impressive for only being a week or so and selling millions upon millions of phones in only a few countries. Any company would love those kinds of numbers.
I work with one of these dudes. It's ironic that we were talking heat wave starting tomorrow. He was fumbling around on his ipad trying to find it

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I think this maps thing is the beginning of the end for Apple when it comes to the future of mobile and what emerging stuff will look like. What we are working on from a software perspective is tying all of that location data, personal data and making it a seamless experience vs clunky apps. Apps integration will be at a different level. Guess who control all the data right now. Google and Microsoft. You can start hedging bets now that when it comes to licensing any type of that data, they are going to make out like bandits.
Of course that's why Apple wants to get in on the data banaza but also as usual Apple is incompetent and delivers and inferior product which costs more. That's why Apple tried to block the competition and users to only use it's crappy product. Fortunately there are articles like this one:

Miss Google Maps? Here’s how to get it back on your iPhone | Stuff Middle East

The only problem is no doubt Apple will eventually release a firmware update which destroys people's phones who have done this because Apple wants to keep you fenced in and only using their stuff so they can be the gate keeper. Screw that and screw them. Open source is the only way to go but Apple's whole business model in the phone market is to close everything and to eliminate choices for consumers. That's just another reason not to ever purchase anything from Apple.

Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I thought many of the features on current samsung phones were "borrowed" from apple technology?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/te...gnet.html?_r=0

Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
Initially, I loved the phone, the features, the big, vivid touch screen. After a few months, things wents south...

Very short battery life, the phone was always rebooting, difficulty pairing bluetooth to my cars (Acuras) unless I reboot/reset the phone back to its original state, the phone got hot to the touch, touch screen non-responsive then had to remove battery constantly and restart, bad customer support. OS upgrades were hit and miss. Some features would stop working and you'd be wondering if upgrading the OS would be a good idea.

Iphone 4s has been great since I first got it in February.
This is why I am an iPhone user. It just works. It may not have as many features as some other phones, the the processor might have a slightly slower bench speed, but Im not a "techie" so I don't care. It's plenty fast for me.

I much prefer a metal cased phone over a plastic one also. I switched my computers ove to apple a few years ago, and am much happier as they are don't crash like my pc's always did.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I thought many of the features on current samsung phones were "borrowed" from apple technology?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/26/te...gnet.html?_r=0
Apple lost the exact same suit in several other countries and so far it has only been successful in Apples on backyard (the bay area) and even that one will likely be over turned on appeal. I mean claiming that a phone with rounded edges is a copyright feature? The old 1960's bell labs telephone my parents had when I was growing up had rounded corners for Pete's sake!

Trying to copyright common generic features and then suing everyone in sight is a sure sign that Apple knows it is losing in the market place so now it is just trying legal delaying tactics which will eventually backfire or get tossed out.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This is why I am an iPhone user. It just works. It may not have as many features as some other phones, the the processor might have a slightly slower bench speed, but Im not a "techie" so I don't care. It's plenty fast for me.

I much prefer a metal cased phone over a plastic one also. I switched my computers ove to apple a few years ago, and am much happier as they are don't crash like my pc's always did.

Absolutely Axxlrod! I don't blame Apple users at all. I was a lifelong PC guy up until about 3 years ago. All my friends kept telling me to switch but I didn't want to bother after using PC my whole life. I'm the type that was getting top of the line PCs with the highest spec possible. I'd literally sometimes spend up to $5,000 on a laptop (and keep in mind this was several years ago). And it would always crash. I don't care what brand I tried. Sony, Dell, IBM. They all would crash all the time in Windows and I'd get the blue screen of death more times then I can remember.

I haven't had my computer crash in 3 years and super fast. I did buy Parallels to run Windows programs that weren't in Mac but to be honest I never even bother using it anymore as most of the popular programs are in Mac now.

As far as the Ipad, I haven't tried any other tablets but I really love the ipad. My wife's old iphone lasted several years with no problems. I'll never go back to Windows again. Love the Macbook Pro and the 27' iMac. Beautiful machines.

People talk about how expensive Macs are (which I agree with) but I remember getting some expensive PC laptops and having them be rubbish. Funny, I just found a receipt from the last PC laptop I owned. And it was more expensive than a Mac and it crashed shortly after the warranty ended. This is back from 2007! I will NEVER go back to PC again. Macs may be expensive but at least they last a long time.

Product: B2NBSU07-LBOM
Component: No Engraving
Component: Video Standard with BD
Component: Microsoft Office 2007 Basic
Component: Large Capacity Lithium-ion Battery (BPL9)
Component: Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection (802.11a/b/g/n)
Component: Microsoft Windows Vista Business
Component: 17" WUXGA
Component: DVD+-R Double Layer / DVD+-RW Drive with Blu-ray Disc support
Component: 500GB (250GB x 2) SATA Hard Disk Drive
Component: 4GB PC2-5300 (2GB x 2)
Component: Intel Core2 Duo Processor T7700 (2.4GHz)
Per Unit Price: $4,889.99
Quantity: 1
Total Price: $4,889.99
Description: VGN-AR 570 with Blu-ray
Description: Sony VAIO® AC Adapter
07/27/2007
Subtotal: $4,979.98
Tax: $412.52
Shipping Charges: $20.00
Order Total: $5,412.50

Last edited by earlyretirement; 09-28-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 12:58 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
I am completely indifferent and am about two-three years ahead in planning for mobile devices from what you are seeing in stores.

The only difference is I can be objective about the pros and cons of all sides. I could care less who likes what either way. What I care about is why people care and how a company can come up with one phone per year, have people go crazy charge a premium for a product that clearly is spec inferior to sevreal devices out there. But you have heard the arguments. It just works. I cant see why that is such a diffcult concept to understand for Android fanbois. What other reason do you need to hear. You have your reasons for choosing Android they have theirs. So what? You all access the same email with the same protocols, share the same network.
So when it comes to Jack and Jill ready to buy a phone for $199 in a sea of phones and choices, they get the look and feel of what Apple puts out because they sell the experience.

As far as my car analogy, a BMW is a great car, has some stunning lines and very good electronics. There is a look and experience that BMW builds upon. They have crowned themselves the "ultimate driving machine" because clearly a car is way too inferior for them to associate with. Its about brand image for a car that is very good, but not the 'best' based on spec. There are several cars in the same class which probably do things better in some fashion. You are fooling yourself otherwise.

With an iPhone, users get the feeling of svelt luxury in the brand and experience, not necessarily the nuts and bolts. The experience is passable and works. I dont see why that is a problem when consumers have those choices. No one is holding a gun to anyones head.

All of the bantering benefits not only my business but the entire industry. When Apple wins we all win in this business because it only pushes competitors to keep making better devices.
Without Apple, Android would likely have never existed in the way it has now. Symbian was far more advanced than anything that was out there.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:03 PM

I am literally baffled by people who claim PCs crash all the time. The one thing I have found is the people making these claims almost universally tend to be older and to be not very tech savvy so I can only guess they're doing something seriously wrong because crashes simply aren't a problem for me or anyone I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego