Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:17 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times

Advertisements

sassberto's point is to be considered.
I have friends who grew up in MM and scripp's-while living in MM as adults, they have had random bullet holes in their cars-ie, overnight while parked. And they are professionals and not related whatsoever with this type of activity otherwise.

While the gang issue may not be specifically MM high school related, it does inform the reader of the 'lifestyle and cultural influences' of the area...not that *all* or even a large portion of MM is like this; but, it's enough of an influence to be affected by it while living there.

Also, my spouse is a SD native, and says that MM has always (hold onto your hat and clutch your pearls b/c this is not PC) been referred to as 'Manila Mesa'.

The driving is fairly atrocious in that area-though in part owing to the insane MM blvd.

Okay, off point for OP.
Poway is the best disctrict in the county at the moment,and for the forseeable future....
I agree, it's a no brainer.

Also, as for your kids 'feeling out of place' living with extended family/grandparents????
I think it's fine.
Socioeconomic segregation is huge in SD/so cal though....
we live in an apt. in carmel valley, ,and most of our neighbors are first generation, india, korea, iran, etc.
the wealthier kids at school who 'look like my kids', are surprised with our 'status', but, hey, just gives them pause to consider and realize that how much money you have means nothing when determining whether or not you are fun/cool/nice to hang out with....I could care less b/c i simply am not impressed with their gauche new money square footage, anyway...but i don't even think-gasp-san diego is 'the best place ever! to live anyway-....

I'm so tired of the socioeconomic bullying of this region.
Then again, I grew up in new england, where good public schools are standard for most.
I would be concerned with lack of space for your family, living with the parents....but other than that, children actually LIKE hanging out with their family; it is media/school system that conditions this out of them.

My experience.
You have time anyway, as mentioned.
But def. go to Poway when the time comes. The have a great rec center, and a fabulous cinco de mayo run benefiting a school in the district! (:

Last edited by lrmsd; 11-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
I lived in the Mira Mesa/Scripps Ranch area for 30 years and I can say not only didn't I or anyone I know EVER find a bullet hole any where but I can also say we never even HEARD of such things happening. Further more the crime rates show it to be about average crime wise in a city with EXTREMELY low crime rates.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:21 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I lived in the Mira Mesa/Scripps Ranch area for 30 years and I can say not only didn't I or anyone I know EVER find a bullet hole any where but I can also say we never even HEARD of such things happening. Further more the crime rates show it to be about average crime wise in a city with EXTREMELY low crime rates.
I have to agree with you. I lived in Poway and worked in Sorrento Valley so I drove along MM Blvd. every day. We also visited friends, shopped, and went to restaurants in Mira Mesa. One of my very good friends went to Mira Mesa High school. He did very well getting his EE Master's from UCSD. Yes, Poway has a lower crime rate but I certainly wouldn't consider Mira Mesa to be dangerous.

The stereotyping of people due to socio-economic status is bogus. So many people look for problems where they don't exist.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times
I graduated from Mira Mesa high school class of 2008 and my sister is a current student. Here's my two cents.

Yes there are gangs in Mira Mesa... namely the Asian Crips and most everyone knows about this. But, if you want to take part in gang-related activity you really need seek it out yourself. I personally knew several people who were in or had ties to the ACs and I interacted with them on an acquaintance-esque basis, but it was just an unspoken rule that I would not be pressured to so much as think about joining a gang unless I brought it up first. Like I said, people must seek it out themselves and these people often have unfortunate problems at home that lead them to do so. The only real interaction I had with these people occurred toward the beginning of high school, when I was still taking classes like P.E. and beginning-level foreign language. From junior year on I only interacted with others in my honors and AP classes so I no longer saw any gang members after that.

In terms of overall safety, yes there are sometimes violent crimes but I think these are overblown. I've lived in Mira Mesa since I was born, and I felt safer there walking alone at night than I do here (in Los Angeles near Bel Air). Regarding drugs, yes there drug dealers scattered throughout the other students at Mira Mesa. Yes there is kind of a booming ecstasy trade but let me put it in perspective. I had a friend who transferred from a ritzy private Catholic school to MM and commented on how there were so many fewer drug dealers at MM... and so many fewer people doing drugs. Furthermore, at the fairly prestigious university I attended, I can assert with a doubt that a significantly higher percent of the students did drugs there that at MM. There was also more peer pressure at my university.

Summary of how to keep your kid out of gangs in Mira Mesa: 1) Make sure they are doing well in school. 2) Give them a good home life so they will have no reason to join a gang.

In other words, just don't be a crappy parent.

Now to answer the OP. I am mixed (white and asian) and I don't think your child will have any trouble fitting in with the asian crowd. From my experiences at MM, the idea that your white child would feel excluded in any way just seems so absurd to me. It just won't happen.

I'm not trying to say that I recommend Mira Mesa. I hated it there but not for any of the reasons the above posters mentioned. I hated it because the neighborhood was boring and the people were even more boring. Once I left Mira Mesa I never looked back. But that's how it goes with suburbs, and Poway is no different.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,835 times
Default Mira Mesa has only wanna be gangsters

I have lived in Mira Mesa since birth. I can honestly say that it is one of the safest place in San Diego. There is a wanna be Asian gang there calling themselves the Asian Crips. There are many of them, but they are all midgets & very weak. Yes they carry weapons and have tattoos but the only time there was a shooting that involved them was when other gangs, from the more dangerous parts of San Diego, came to Mira Mesa to shoot them. One of them was actually shot to death while sitting in his car on Mira Mesa blvd by a rival gang member which did not reside in Mira Mesa. Needless to say, they are more of a nuisance than a real problem. But seriously, a gang in Mira Mesa? That's like saying I'm from La Jolla crips. It's just a bunch of confused misguided midget misfits. The majority of these Asian Crips are actually police informants. The cemetery in Mira Mesa is full of their dead "homies", they are really just victims. These Asian Crips claim to be a gang but they get preyed on by the real gangs of San Diego who do not reside in Mira Mesa.

Last edited by DavidAnderson619; 08-24-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM

23 posts, read 31,161 times
Kash (OP), what did you end up deciding to do? Are your kids enjoying MM or Poway schools? Any tips for a family considering the same things you did a few years ago?

Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 PM

813 posts, read 1,272,063 times
The OP hasn't posted in a while, but from the looks of this past thread, the kiddos went to MM schools. //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...a-schools.html

Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 PM

23 posts, read 31,161 times
RainbowHope, thanks for the link! It's nice to hear that some people value diversity over perfect test scores (not that MM scores are low by any standards). As an elementary teacher, I don't see test scores as an indicator of a great school. School culture is much more important to me. Thanks again for taking the time to send that thread!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
My wife went to MM High and she her circle of friends were Vietnamese (she is not asian).

If it were in SouthBay or East County, Mira Mesa high would not get such a bad rap, it just happens to be next to Scripps Ranch High and has much different demographics and is their rival.

Mira Mesa High

Filipino28%
Hispanic/Latino21%
Asian19%
White16%
Two or More9%
African American6%
Pacific Islander1%

Scripps Ranch High

White44%
Asian22%
Hispanic/Latino15%
Filipino6%
Two or More6%
African American5%

Source: School-Rating DOT COM.

Old 02-27-2015, 10:36 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Mira Mesa High

Filipino28%
Hispanic/Latino21%
Asian19%
White16%
Two or More9%
African American6%
Pacific Islander1%

Scripps Ranch High

White44%
Asian22%
Hispanic/Latino15%
Filipino6%
Two or More6%
African American5%
Why aren't Filipinos Asian....... or Hispanic....... or even Pacific Islander...... since all three of those apply one way or another?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego