Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM

7 posts, read 23,489 times

Advertisements

I grew up and went to school in Poway. I now rent a house in Mira Mesa and have children who will be starting school soon. Mira Mesa obviously has a lot of diversity and I'm not sure the exact population of white people but I would say maybe 50% where Poway is maybe 80% (those are just guesses). Anyway, I have a lot of friends and family saying I should move back to Poway, in with my parents, just so my kids can go to school in Poway. They are not saying this just because Poway is a better school district but because they say my kids will fit in better in Poway and will feel out of place as white kids going to school in Mira Mesa. I am not racist what so ever but ofcourse I would never want my kids to feel out of place. Everyone tells me that Asians are "clicky" and white kids are out of place in Mira Mesa. I would love any feedback and opinions from students in Mira Mesa or parents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
Your racist friends are right, although for reasons they probably don't quite understand. Unless there is some reason you can't move, there's no good reason to send your kids to Mira Mesa when you could do Scripps ranch or better still PUSD

Its Self segregation via socioeconomics moreso than racism. The First gen immigrant kids test well but are not nearly as affluent and educated as the kids east of 15

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-03-2012 at 11:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 12:50 AM

Thanks for your reply. We can move from Mira Mesa to Poway but it would mean giving up our own 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house that we rent from a family member for only $500 a month to moving in with my parents and using two of their bedrooms for my family of 4. Ofcourse I would rather live in my own house with my family than move back in with my parents but if sending my kids to school in Mira Mesa is really that bad of an idea, than I will. TOUGH DECISION!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 AM

6,418 posts, read 11,540,597 times
My work colleague's three (white) kids all went to Mira Mesa schools. I haven't heard from her anything remotely suggesting that there's a problem with cliques beyond what every school has, or that the schools were lacking in any way.

If you move to Poway and have to shoehorn yourselves in to your parents home, then your kids might feel out-of-place for economic reasons rather than ethnic reasons.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
at the elementary level I wouldn't worry about it. You have time to figure this out, at least a few years. I'd say given your situation you don't really have much of a choice.

The trick to choosing a school is to identify the social and demographic environment of the student body and their parents and align it to your own. If you are upper-middle-class and highly educated you will not likely be satisfied with a student body who's parents do not share your background. Test scores, ethnicity etc are not always going to paint this picture. As an example, would you want to send your child to a school with a 9 API but 50% of the kids are of a single ethnic background and all are 1st generation english speakers? That's not to say it's a bad school, but it is not reflective of my child's social or demographic environment at all. The values, cultural norms, and communication are so different my son would be a social outsider, which is unacceptable to me.

We look at a number of factors, most importantly the % the student body who is ELL (English Language Learners), free/reduced lunch, and the parents education levels. The ability of the student body to perform well on state tests is unfortunately usually a good indicator. Those tests are very easy. API is often misleading because the quality of California's schools are in decline so the fact that a school scores in the top percentile of a sinking ship is not a great indicator of anything. Generally speaking, high english language proficiency, income and education levels are good indicators of the school significantly outperform in terms of the teacher's ability to move through the curriculum with enough speed and depth. This generally leads to mastery of subject matter which is almost impossible when students cannot communicate or are not supported via their parents.

I know at least a few 30-somethings who grew up in Mira Mesa in the 80's and 90's and they all moved away and would never send their kids to school there. Several were pulled out of MM high in the 90's after their parents moved to Scripps Ranch. For all it's mundane suburban middle class elements Mira Mesa it is one of only a very few areas in San Diego that still has drive-by shootings. The gang culture that has taken hold among the younger kids scares a lot of middle class people away.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-04-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the reply guys! I never thought about my kids feeling out of place for economic reasons if we moved to Poway and lived in my parent's home. We would hopefully only live there for a couple years, saving up to buy our own home in Poway. My kids are 2 and 4 now so I would say we DEFINITELY wouldn't live there beyond their elementary years. At what age I wonder would a child feel out of place with their family living with their grandparents?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:23 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,944 times
Mira Mesa has good schools but Poway has some of the best in the nation. Mira Mesa actually has some pretty good test scores but Poway has better test scores. Also, yes, in Mira Mesa whites are about 50% and east Asians make up most of the other 50%. Last I heard "others" are 5% or less. So whites are still a slim majority with most of the rest being east Asian.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 AM

601 posts, read 1,443,093 times
The local stereotypes I've heard:

Mira Mesa has Gangs, Poway has the Klan and White Supremists, Scripps Ranch has Snobs, Elitists and Social Class Bullies.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,871,944 times
Mira Mesa does not have gangs nor does Poway have the klan. I grew up as a white kid in that area and never had any problems to speak of nor did I remotely feel like an "outcast" for being white. Some of you people are living in a fantasy world instead of the real one.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,111,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy5 View Post
Poway has the Klan and White Supremists

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!Seriously?

OK, as someone who went through PUSD (8th-12th grade), I DO have to point out that, while the system may be predominantly white, it's not like it's all whitey except for the token black and asian kid. I went to RBHS (Class of '00), and my classmates used to joke that you couldn't be do/say anything remotely racist even if you wanted to because you'd be pissing off at least a third of the school population. I don't have exact stats, but a VERY good portion of my classmates were minority, with the largest minority group being Asian/Pacific Islander, followed by Latino (or perhaps Middle Eastern. like I said, No real stats). Of course, the exact makeup would vary school to school (MCHS had more asians, PHS probably more white), but never did I see or hear anything resembling intolerance, let alone Klan/Neo-naziism.

OP, I think Sassberto has it right. Up through elementary school, it's probably not a huge difference so long as you remain heavily involved in your kids' schooling. Past that, though, if you have the opportunity to get your kids into PUSD, why wouldn't you? It's the better system, and the stats prove it.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego