Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 11:59 PM

7 posts, read 23,606 times

Advertisements

I grew up and went to school in Poway. I now rent a house in Mira Mesa and have children who will be starting school soon. Mira Mesa obviously has a lot of diversity and I'm not sure the exact population of white people but I would say maybe 50% where Poway is maybe 80% (those are just guesses). Anyway, I have a lot of friends and family saying I should move back to Poway, in with my parents, just so my kids can go to school in Poway. They are not saying this just because Poway is a better school district but because they say my kids will fit in better in Poway and will feel out of place as white kids going to school in Mira Mesa. I am not racist what so ever but ofcourse I would never want my kids to feel out of place. Everyone tells me that Asians are "clicky" and white kids are out of place in Mira Mesa. I would love any feedback and opinions from students in Mira Mesa or parents. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
I think it's largely down to your kids' personalities. What's the diversity of your kids' friends now? Do they seem like they have trouble fitting in? If they don't, they're probably be fine wherever they go. If they do, then they're going to still have trouble fitting in no matter where they go.

There are cliques in every school - sometimes ethnic-based and often based on other things.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Mira Mesa is about 50% asians, 30-40% whites, and the rest is other ethnic backgrounds. I am not racist at all but when I am driving down the road and see all the kids getting out of school I just see so many big groups of asian kids. My kids are blonde hair blued eyed and I just dont see too many of them ever mixed in these large group of asian friends. Right now my son goes to preschool here and his class has 8 kids. Himself and one other boy are white. That boy is his one friend in the class. I ask if he plays with the other boys and he says no. He obviously isn't racist at 4 years old but asians and indians can be so culturally different and I think it is natural you bond with people who are most like you.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:33 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
I am not white, but I went to a very diverse elementary school when I was growing up. Every race you could think of, White, Blacks, Asians (Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos), Indian's (India), Mexicans, Samoans (Big Kids). I turned out fine, if anything it gave me a better insight on how different races and cultures of people live.

I had a bunch of neighborhood kids that I used to hang out with back in the day, some were Asian, my best friend named Akil was Indian we used to play basketball together, and man did his house stink like indian spices all the time!!!. My friend Calvin who was black, he was really cool and we also played B-ball together. White friend Matt, and I my Mexican friend Chris were also kids that I used to hang out with during my elementary years. The thing is, that we all hung out together, rode bikes and played basketball together, White, Black, Mexican, Indian..we all came from different ethnic backgrounds, yet we all perfectly got along and race was never a factor on us being friends. At that age, you don't think like that.

So diversity is a good thing, I'd say have your kids go to the Mira Mesa school first, see how they like it and responds to other kids in there class, if you see that they dont like it or can't make friends, then maybe a Whiter school for them will be better. Regardless, one day the real world hits every person in the face, and we have to deal with it, if we like it or not. So it's either now or later.

BTW every diverse school or schools in general have "clicks" or "groups" where kids strictly hang out together. It's not a bad thing, it's a way for students to recognize who they relate to among their peers. In HS it's gets even more "Clicky", so be prepared when your kids are at that age.

We all don't have to like or approve of one another, what holds us together as a society is RESPECT and common courtesy. As long as we have that, we should be ok, unfortunately that's not always the case in the world we live in.

Last edited by sdlife619; 10-05-2012 at 11:44 PM..

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 AM

601 posts, read 1,451,417 times
Diversity in Mira Mesa is what makes it special, not bad. All the negatives you "see" in particular ethnic groups, happen in "all" ethnic groups. I wouldn't make it an issue.

Put yourself in the "ethnic" groups' shoes when they first came to America and tried to fit into the "white" schools and "white" American society.

Everyone will adapt and make allies. Not based on race but based on character.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:22 PM

Thanks for your replies. My son started Kindergarten last week at an elementary school here in Mira Mesa and so far, so good.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,862 times
Default Mira Mesa Schools

I think that the quality of education in Mira Mesa is comparable to or better than anywhere in San Diego County, and frankly, the racial mix has nothing to do with that. Trust me, anyone can be "clicky". One advantage of the rich culture that Mira Mesa provides though is broader acceptance of people that are different from one's self. I think this provides substantial benefits to Mira Mesa youths as they grow up and leave the community. Two of our schools, Challenger Middle School and Mira Mesa High School are California Distinguished Schools. Certainly that speaks volumes not only for the schools themselves but for the Mira Mesa "feeder" schools as well.

I certainly have nothing bad to say about Poway schools; like you I have heard they are great. That said, I can speak first hand about Mira Mesa schools because I have meet many of the teachers and administrators and think the world of each. I urge you to look closer for yourself by visiting a school your child might attend and speaking with the principal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash858 View Post
I grew up and went to school in Poway. I now rent a house in Mira Mesa and have children who will be starting school soon. Mira Mesa obviously has a lot of diversity and I'm not sure the exact population of white people but I would say maybe 50% where Poway is maybe 80% (those are just guesses). Anyway, I have a lot of friends and family saying I should move back to Poway, in with my parents, just so my kids can go to school in Poway. They are not saying this just because Poway is a better school district but because they say my kids will fit in better in Poway and will feel out of place as white kids going to school in Mira Mesa. I am not racist what so ever but ofcourse I would never want my kids to feel out of place. Everyone tells me that Asians are "clicky" and white kids are out of place in Mira Mesa. I would love any feedback and opinions from students in Mira Mesa or parents. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: