Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:56 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times

Advertisements

I've only been gone 5 days.....what the heck is happening out there? Just paid $3.61 here in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM

371 posts, read 637,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Had a wave of nausea when I saw gas at $4.99 this morning at the gas station by the Hospital in Hillcrest. What a nightmare. Anyone have an idea when it's supposed to go back down?

If it was the Shell at Washington and 4th, no worries -- that one tends to be more expensive than others in the area. I used to live near it, and it usually had higher prices even 10 years ago.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:35 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
This morning KPBS said the price went down a little. Brown's move to allow gas stations to use the winter blend will help.

Bottom line is that there are only a small number of refineries that make the gas we use, and if you take two of them offline, the price is going to go up.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
If it was the Shell at Washington and 4th, no worries -- that one tends to be more expensive than others in the area. I used to live near it, and it usually had higher prices even 10 years ago.
Yeah, it was that one. I never go there anyway because you're right, they do tend to be 20+ cents more expensive than everywhere else...but it was still a shock to see it so high

Old 10-09-2012, 11:36 PM

94 posts, read 172,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benshaton View Post
The Oil Companies are now getting $4 Billion annually of corporate welfare despite gouging us while they're raking in record profits...

Folks, we have an industry that has no transparency and is not being held accountable to either the taxpayers or consumers.
Why should the oil companies be accountable to consumers for the price of their product? It is determined by supply and demand. Just look at natural gas prices being at record lows due to the large supply. If energy companies were "gouging" you then why aren't they gouging on natural gas prices either?

Also, taxpayers don't pay taxes to oil companies, so no accountability is needed on that front either. Every industry gets cost of business deductions. Oil companies aren't getting anything that every other industry doesn't also get.

Why are you entitled to free or inexpensive gasoline?

Are you entitled to cheap cell phones too?

Cheap beer?

Cheap Perrier?

Why should I have to take a pay cut so California can ban drilling and then demand a handout in the form of cheap energy from the energy producing states?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:54 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonProfessional View Post
Why should I have to take a pay cut so California can ban drilling and then demand a handout in the form of cheap energy from the energy producing states?
Maybe because you're getting more in federal revenues than you send to uncle Sam and we're funding this to the tune of $0.22 out of every dollar that goes there?

And don't flatter yourself. Most of the oil that goes into refineries in California comes from places other than Texas.

Further, it's not an issue of the supply of oil. It's an issue of the supply of the refined product, which Texas does not send to California. The only refineries that make it are in California.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:12 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
Maybe because you're getting more in federal revenues than you send to uncle Sam and we're funding this to the tune of $0.22 out of every dollar that goes there?

And don't flatter yourself. Most of the oil that goes into refineries in California comes from places other than Texas.

Further, it's not an issue of the supply of oil. It's an issue of the supply of the refined product, which Texas does not send to California. The only refineries that make it are in California.
It doesn't matter where California gets oil from, other than the cost of conditioning/refining it to meet California's environmental regulations.

When oil is produced anywhere in the world it increases the global supply, which decreases the average cost. More (or less) production in Texas will indirectly affect the price we pay at the pump.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
A gas station where I paid $4.07 this weekend was $4.45 tonight.
I am not understand why you are so upset. Oil and the products from it such as gasoline appear to be a limited resource. The State of California does all it can to reduce the usage of oil for environmental reasons. Gasoline will continue to rise in price. Calm down and enjoy our cleaner air and water.

Becoming upset is counter producive to your health and blood pressure. Embrace the Future!!!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
If it's still like this next week then I'll be biking to work.

Maybe off-topic but, do you like Poway? How pricey is the economy there? It looks like a pretty place. A cousin might have a job in the area.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Maybe off-topic but, do you like Poway? How pricey is the economy there? It looks like a pretty place. A cousin might have a job in the area.
I love Poway. There are affordable neighborhoods and not-so-affordable ones.

Schools are some of the best in California.

People are honest. Crime is low and almost non-existent.

It is not very trendy, though. There are things to do at night, but it lacks that urban feeling that some people enjoy in other areas of San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego