Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 PM

8 posts, read 9,252 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Naples, Florida to San Diego and would like to rent an apt near Friars Road. Does anyone know if the rents are comparable between the two areas. I'm having a hard time figuring it out. For instance, is a 1/1 for $1100 in Naples equivalent to 1/1 for $1400 in San Diego. I'm also looking for a real estate agent or a good apartment directory that will guide me accurately as I will have to make a decision based on photos. Apartmentguide seems to lead toward expensive properties. My move is scheduled for December 2012. One more question, how far is the closest beach to the Friars Road area (I know Friars Road is long).

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 02:07 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Too funny... I grew up in the Fort Myers area and now live off Friars Rd!

As far as your question, Mission Valley is one of the slightly more pricey areas, due to its central location. I live in a detached condo for around $2000/month. You'll probably getting a better deal leasing a condo from a private owner rather than large corporate apartment complex. For Mission Valley I'd say $1200-1400 for a 1/1 is probably accurate.

I can't begin to go on how much more I prefer San Diego, by the way. You couldn't pay me a million dollars to move back to SW FL.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
I disagree from Pink Squid on why Mission Valley is pricier than some other areas. I think it has more do with the apartments being new with lots of amenities. There are plenty of 1/1 apartments in San Diego for under $1000/month. However those apartments won't have in unit W/D, DW, AC, or secured parking.

The OP is correct that Apartmentguide caters to the higher end apartments. There many cheaper options out there. I would look at Craigslist for less expensive apartments, and maybe people still advertise in the Union-Tribune.

Mission Valley to the beaches would probably be a 15-30 minute drive depending on the specific beach, the time of day, and time of year.

By the way, why are you choosing Mission Valley? Simply because so many apartments are being advertised there, or because it works from a commuting stand point?

Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Yeah, I would stay the hell away from Mission Valley. Unless you like generic suburbia, with mall followed by office building followed by gas station followed by generic chain restaurant.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I disagree from Pink Squid on why Mission Valley is pricier than some other areas. I think it has more do with the apartments being new with lots of amenities. There are plenty of 1/1 apartments in San Diego for under $1000/month. However those apartments won't have in unit W/D, DW, AC, or secured parking.
You might be right about that kettlepot. The premium might very well be from the newer/fancier complexes. However, I do think that the location must have some sort of effect (considering, for example, you could get an equally as "nice," newer apartment in the Otay Ranch area for $200-300 less per month).

Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 AM

Awesome coincidence. You made me feel better. I have been really geared up but after reading some of these posts today, I became hesitant. You helped changed that. I grew up hear and moved away to different parts of Florida but I just don't like it here. I really don't like the heat. I'm really hoping the weather is cooler out there consistently. So, do you think the rent being pricier out there is comparable to the salaries. Meaning, I shouldn't worry too much. If i can afford a 1/1 at $1100 here, I can probably afford a 1/1 at $1400 there?

Thanks Kettlepot and thepinksquid and tonynsd. I'm choosing the area because my job is off of friars and I don't want a long commute. I figure if I have to spend money on high rent, I need to make up for it in gas. But if Mission Valley is boring, I don't want to live there, really. I'm a young female and single and ready to meet new people. I just looked online and found Archstone in different areas. I'll get back to the post tomorrow. It's 2:00 am EST and I must work in the A.M. thanks everyone.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 PM

I worked in Fashion Valley for a little over a year, and I made the commute from downtown. It was 20 minutes door to door. And that included parking my car and walking from the lot to work.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
I worked in Fashion Valley for a little over a year, and I made the commute from downtown. It was 20 minutes door to door. And that included parking my car and walking from the lot to work.
Fantastic. Then I will look downtown and see if I can afford the rent. I know its high but I must look. Any suggestions. upgraded max $1400-1450 with pet rent???

Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM

100 posts, read 428,103 times
Hillcrest, university heights and north park are on top of the mesa that overlooks Mission Valley and has more fun stuff and a more urban/fun vibe, less big box stores, gated communities, shopping malls etc. Cheaper too, but the housing stock is older. 5-15 minute commute depending on the specifics.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1992 View Post
Fantastic. Then I will look downtown and see if I can afford the rent. I know its high but I must look. Any suggestions. upgraded max $1400-1450 with pet rent???
That definitely can be done.

PantejiTwist is moving. Ask her about her apartment. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: