Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM

44 posts, read 63,860 times

Advertisements

I am dying to live somewhere that's warm all year round and close to the ocean with skyscrappers. I have been living in Boise Idaho almost 10 years, and it's really time to move out and explore more.

I am 27 gay male. San Diego is one of the city on my list to live in, is there an area in San Diego that the rent is decent but safe and nice neighborhood? I am thinking of hillcrest, but rent there is expensive.

If you have other major cities that you would like to suggest, I am not against that. I am just doing my research now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
Line up a job first.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Yes, be sure that you've got a job. Jobs here are scarce, and don't pay well. Plus, it's expensive to live here. I can recommend University City. It's close to everything (mall, beaches, La Jolla, downtown, hiking trails, shopping centers), and is a very walkable area. Most people living there are families or older folks, but it's nice and convenient.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,218,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybie View Post
I am dying to live somewhere that's warm all year round and close to the ocean with skyscrappers. I have been living in Boise Idaho almost 10 years, and it's really time to move out and explore more.

I am 27 gay male. San Diego is one of the city on my list to live in, is there an area in San Diego that the rent is decent but safe and nice neighborhood? I am thinking of hillcrest, but rent there is expensive.

If you have other major cities that you would like to suggest, I am not against that. I am just doing my research now.
Well pretty much everywhere in SD is gay-friendly. If you are looking for areas with gay nightlife outside of Hillcrest, look at University Heights and North Park. It's not on the level of Hillcrest but they tend to be more affordable compared to Hillcrest and there is also some gay nightlife in both of those 'hoods. I'm a 26 y/o gay male and I love where I live in UH. And it's a quick cab ride to Hillcrest for dining/nightlife/etc. Normal Heights, Kensington and South Park are also areas to look at if you like the density/walkability level of Hillcrest, but they are a bit further away. But I definitely agree with the other posters about getting a job first.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:31 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
It would help us to help you to better understand at what point rent goes from high to decent. But as noted above, outside of Hillcrest you should look at:

University Heights
North Park
South Park
Normal Heights

You might also have to consider Golden Hill and western City Heights (between the 805 and the 15 - south of Normal Heights) if our rents shock you coming from Boise. You're a young man so even those these last two aren't as nice as the neighborhoods listed above, that shouldn't be a big issue for you. Outside of these two additions, you could look at apartments in Talmadge, College, El Cerrito, and Rolando. They are further east. After that, it's the suburbs.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:30 AM

10 posts, read 41,655 times
Default Golden Hill is not a "might have to kind of place."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
It would help us to help you to better understand at what point rent goes from high to decent. But as noted above, outside of Hillcrest you should look at:

University Heights
North Park
South Park
Normal Heights

You might also have to consider Golden Hill and western City Heights (between the 805 and the 15 - south of Normal Heights) if our rents shock you coming from Boise. You're a young man so even those these last two aren't as nice as the neighborhoods listed above, that shouldn't be a big issue for you. Outside of these two additions, you could look at apartments in Talmadge, College, El Cerrito, and Rolando. They are further east. After that, it's the suburbs.
So not to be rude, but I'm gonna have to say here that this poster might not know much about the Golden Hill / South Park area. It is a great place to live - not even close to what he refers to as "you might also have to consider..."

Also, for the OP who says that he is gay - you would love Golden Hill & South Park. I am gay and there are a lot of "the gays" here its a very artsy - progressive walkable neighborhood with a lot of dogs (because its so walkable and surrounds Balboa Park... My partner and I deliberately chose Golden Hill because its not a "gayborhood" per se, but still lots of gays and just progressive ppl who like an urban lifestyle - but without the large bar/club crowds and more diversity - as in a variety of people, ethnically, income level...walks of life. it also has its very own cute farmers market on B street. It may be a LITTLE more affordable right now...and I think that has to do with its past as one of the later neighborhoods to clean up - but in my opinion - Golden Hill is WAAAAAAAAY nicer then North Park (which is also very cool) and Normal Heights, which is just OK - In my opnion. If you work downtown, its so easy to either hop on the #2 bus or especially - if you are like a lot of us Golden Hillers - take your Fixy Bike

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
Uh, folks, he said he wants skyscrapers.

He needs to be downtown.

But you will NOT be able to find housing for anything near what you're paying in Boise. Want a one bedroom downtown? Plan on spending $1,300 to $1,400 a month. You may find cheaper, but then you'll find that they don't have things that you need, like parking.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
How close to the ocean do you want the skyscrapers to be?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:18 PM

44 posts, read 63,860 times
Wow guys, a lot of good information here. Skyscrappers or no ocean or something that I need to forgo to be able to live there for a while until I am more financially secured to move up to fancy locations would be ideal. Thx for all the replies.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbrian View Post
So not to be rude, but I'm gonna have to say here that this poster might not know much about the Golden Hill / South Park area. It is a great place to live - not even close to what he refers to as "you might also have to consider..."

Also, for the OP who says that he is gay - you would love Golden Hill & South Park.
I know, right? Golden Hill is probably my favorite next to my own neighborhood. It's hardly a place where one might need to consider as second best. I love it. Nice and urban, diverse, lots of community spirit. I was there today for work (used to go all the time when we lived downtown), and I felt homesick! Anyway SD is really gay frlendly. That's not your Issue, your issue is getting a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: