Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,333,787 times

Advertisements

I can remember the 70 gas shortage as well. In the DC area you could only by gas certain days of the week, based on the numbers on your tag. If that ever happened now, my spouse could work at home and I could easily take the bus to work so luckily we are that dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 06:01 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If I had to I could find plenty of ways to get around greater SD by bus or the trolley anyway. I have done it before I could do it again.
See, this is one of the things that kills me. I was watching a news story about how bus/trolley ridership has jumped since gas got expensive. Public transportation is obviously a viable option for a lot of people, but most people would just *rather* drive a car. Honestly, if it was even remotely possible to get to work by means other than driving, I'd be all over it. As it is I avoid driving my car when I'm not commuting to BFE as much as I can. Maybe... And I know this isn't a popular opinion... Just maybe, if gas prices stayed stupid....

Old 10-13-2012, 07:05 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,889,864 times
Well, San Diego does have [i]some[/i\ mass transit options and it is possible to get places using only mass transit but we have not invested anything with in two orders of magnitude to make mass transit as safe, clean, fast, or efficient as has been done in the rest of the industrialized world. There for it takes three times longer and costs more and is less convenient compared to how it could be if we simply invested the same amount everyone in the developed parts of Europe and Asia already have done.

But, hey, at least we continue to pay subsidies to politically connected companies for things they WITHOUT QUESTION would still be doing even if we didn't give them subsidies. Oh, and we flush $1 trillion per year down the toilet on the military mostly on stuff which not even the Pentagon thinks we need but which Congress forces them to take because they've been bribed with "campaign donations" to do so. Oh, and most (not some but MOST) of those "campaign contributions" end up in the pockets of the politicians, their friends, or family so it literally is just old fashioned corruption and bribery.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 PM

6,418 posts, read 11,567,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
... Public transportation is obviously a viable option for a lot of people, but most people would just *rather* drive a car. ...
Hmmm ... define "rather" and define "viable".

I'd love to take public transportation to work, instead of driving by myself in my car.

Looking at the trade-off:

Car: 10-15 minutes door to door.

Public Transportation: Walk 20 minutes to the bus stop. Wait 20-30 minutes for the next bus. Get dropped off .5 miles from work, and walk 10 minutes to work. 20+20+10 = 50 minutes vs. 10-15 minutes. Even longer on the way home since it's an uphill walk from the bus stop.

I don't agree that most people would just *rather* drive a car. I believe that most people don't have a viable option for public transportation.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:25 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,032,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Gas prices are how much?
Looks like my neighbors partner

Old 10-14-2012, 03:08 PM

32 posts, read 67,631 times
Not worth it, you will burn the gas at the border lol!

Old 10-14-2012, 05:17 PM

22,626 posts, read 24,472,602 times
[quote=shmoov_groovzsd;26487329]Yeah the apocalypse is here. Cross the border to save 20 bucks? Maybe you will run into Mad Max while you are there.[/quote]

Somebody who finally gets it!!!

Get your gas in the USA, not worth the risk or expense of going down to TJ......you may be in for a rude awakening:

//www.city-data.com/forum/scien...-possible.html

Old 10-15-2012, 08:10 AM

50,142 posts, read 46,785,137 times
We have driven down with a big drop tank for diesel but they started refusing to fill up anyone with a bed tank. Not worth it now.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:28 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Hmmm ... define "rather" and define "viable".

I'd love to take public transportation to work, instead of driving by myself in my car.

Looking at the trade-off:

Car: 10-15 minutes door to door.

Public Transportation: Walk 20 minutes to the bus stop. Wait 20-30 minutes for the next bus. Get dropped off .5 miles from work, and walk 10 minutes to work. 20+20+10 = 50 minutes vs. 10-15 minutes. Even longer on the way home since it's an uphill walk from the bus stop.

I don't agree that most people would just *rather* drive a car. I believe that most people don't have a viable option for public transportation.
None of that seems bad to me, really, except the waiting part, but even that affords a chance to read a good book or the newspaper or do a crossword or something. If I could get to work in under an hour on the bus/public transit, I'd likely do it. The walking 20 minutes and walking .5 mile are actually GOOD things in my book (even the uphill part!). You can always ride your bike to the bus stop, put the bike on the front of the bus, and ride that last .5 miles to work

I do get it though. it takes 2.5 hours to get from North Park to Escondido via public transportation, and that really isn't viable for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:28 AM

9,511 posts, read 16,441,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
None of that seems bad to me, really, except the waiting part, but even that affords a chance to read a good book or the newspaper or do a crossword or something. If I could get to work in under an hour on the bus/public transit, I'd likely do it. The walking 20 minutes and walking .5 mile are actually GOOD things in my book (even the uphill part!). You can always ride your bike to the bus stop, put the bike on the front of the bus, and ride that last .5 miles to work

I do get it though. it takes 2.5 hours to get from North Park to Escondido via public transportation, and that

really isn't viable for me.
Your correct in that scenario 2.5 hours from North Park to Escondido, would be a waste of time on public transit. You really have to live in an area where the options for transit are at their best. Such as North Park to downtown, or on one of the trolley lines to various destinations. When you try to go way out in suburbs with little service you do run into 2.5 hours from point to point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego