Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,347,404 times

Advertisements

For anyone who may have moved from the downtown area with an SUV with a U-Haul 4'x8' cargo trailer attached, I need your tips. My bldg mngr wasn't able to offer much info as all tenants seem to use a truck rather than trailer. The problem is trailer length once attached to the car.

Here it is: U-Haul: Equipment specs

Of course I can't fit both into my parking space underneath my bldg (I can barely get my Honda into the space)... so I need to street park whilst loading, which should take 1 to 1.5-hrs at most, depending upon elevator access & how quickly we need to move (like if our parking spot isn't optimal). We could also move all boxes to the street level first, then drive the trailer around (good fortune... the U-Haul trailer p/u is 100-ft from my bldg ), then load up quickly. I've no furniture save for 2 small table sets & mattress, so most belongings are in boxes & loading should be quick. Of course, that leaves 1 of us guarding my boxes of shoes & handbags (moi) & only 1 (him) doing all the work...

A loading dock area with the yellow painted lines is on the corner of my bldg (Island & Third for those of you who know the downtown area), but I've noticed that trucks/commercial vehicles sometimes stay there for hours, particularly in evenings... actually, often overnight. If I can't gain access to that legal loading area during the day, am I able to legally:

1. Take up 2 parking spaces (parallel parking) if I pay for both spaces?

2. Park in a perpendicular space (on Third would be the easiest) if the trailer sticks out beyond the painted spot... as long as traffic isn't blocked? The spaces look rather long, so I was hoping it would be okay since again, it should be rather quick. Honestly, would a police or traffic car really say anything if they see we're loading up to go??

3. Double park with flashers on? I've seen UPS, Fedex & large delivery trucks do this for up to 20-min. I thought as a last resort, we could push it & take our chances until/unless we're asked to move... then drive around & return in 20-min for the remainder, if necessary.

4. And, lastly, if we're hung over a barrel, the Horton Hotel 15-min unloading area is directly across from one of my bldg's exits. I'm guessing it's mainly for hotel guest un/loading, although I've seen the UPS truck parked there with flashers on for 10-15 min at a time, sometimes when she runs to grab lunch. It's also not a busy un/loading area. Don't mean this to sound daft, but is it only for the hotel or can anyone who is un/loading use any loading area designated by yellow painted lines?

Further throwing a spanner into the works is we're moving near Halloween. My apt mngr said to definitely be gone before the 30/31 as various streets in the Gaslamp will be closed down at varying times, which also means we should move in the morning, I'm guessing? The SO said if it becomes impossible, he'd just rent the $19.95 U-Haul van, easily park on the street, leisurely load it up, then bring it over to the U-Haul facility on our same street & force them to let him unload it into the trailer on their property once it's attached to the car. Not sure if 'force' involves fancy ninja footwork & nunchcuks, stare downs with his best Chuck Zito impersonation or pleading, praying & tossing fistsful of cash. Seems like an awful lot of work & a pain since the U-H place is 1/2 block away... it also means once we load up, no matter which method, we need to get on the road since we can't park anywhere with the trailer for too long, if at all, so I'm hoping we can leave that aggro double-packing/unpacking step out of the mix. I'll round up the Chinese throwing stars, steel toe Doc Martens & pepper spray, just in case.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 12:38 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I've always found it more challenging with trailer in tow.

As for parking and loading it seems to help when you have a person at the vehicle at all times... most police officers will tell you to move if given the opportunity... at least my experience.

On the other hand... a rig unattended with questionable parking invites a citation.

Most moves are done with box vans so trailers seldom come into play.

Pay for each space you take if metered... that is what I do.

I find trailers lower to the ground and the open ones very easy to load because of no overhead restrictions...

Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've always found it more challenging with trailer in tow.
Hiya Ultra, cheers for replying. I quite agree, but since I've an SUV & not too many possessions, this is our cheapest option for a 1,500-mi commute. Coming out here, I UPS'd 8 boxes of clothing which cost $430... I can rent the trailer for less than 1/3 that cost & not need to toss anything that won't fit in the trunk, as I had to last time.

Quote:
As for parking and loading it seems to help when you have a person at the vehicle at all times... most police officers will tell you to move if given the opportunity... at least my experience. On the other hand... a rig unattended with questionable parking invites a citation.
Fair enough. Good advice. I think if we bring everything down 3 floors (should only be 2-3 elevator trips) to the street, even the most wonky parking should be okay for the short time it should take to stuff it all in. It's one of the hazards of downtown living... moving in or out. If it's not completely secure, we can stop at the nearest rest stop or parking lot to reposition.

Quote:
Most moves are done with box vans so trailers seldom come into play. I find trailers lower to the ground and the open ones very easy to load because of no overhead restrictions.
Yes, this does seem more cumbersome & I'm not looking forward to driving, but it will be a learning experience. I like that open trailer, too, but we'll be taking our time, stopping along the way in various towns to make a quasi-vacation out of it & staying in hotels... unpacking nightly into the hotel room would be rather unpleasant.

Quote:
Pay for each space you take if metered... that is what I do.
Okay. I'm holding good thoughts that we'll get the loading dock area at the time we need it. It makes for very easy packing as the space is 8 steps from the exit. I think revising plans & leaving very earlier in the day will be best. Thank you again!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,769 times
Can you unhitch the trailer in your parking space, then rehitch once loaded?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:53 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Or, you can park away from there, ditch the trailer and use the vehicle to transport your things.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Can you unhitch the trailer in your parking space, then rehitch once loaded?
Hiya CGal, thanks for replying. I wish it were that easy... my parking space is so tight to get into/out from & of course has to be underground, 'round 2 tight corners, down a steep incline & next to a pole. I believe Mario Andretti once refused to park there. As a life-long city dweller, I can normally drive backwards on 2 wheels across a median & into a parking space on the first try. But, this space is tough. Not complaining... glad I have one... but, for moving with a trailer attached, the space won't cooperate, I'm afraid. Good idea, however. I'll keep that in mind for future moves... if I don't instead decide to invite the neighbors to a toasty bonfire.

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 10-15-2012 at 12:19 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Or, you can park away from there, ditch the trailer and use the vehicle to transport your things.
Hiya ATPayer. You know, I hadn't thought of that & it just might work if we can't get the loading area space. I'll have to run it passed the SO. He's in Denver for 2-wks finding us a humble abode... & I'm trying to find out about the packing part of it... which is like asking your 4-yr old to guard the b'day cake.

In fact, I just returned from U-Haul to have a hitch installed onto the SUV. There's a wire which now lights up on the hitch when I un/lock my car... from what I understand for the directionals to work on the trailer. When we p/u the trailer, they will connect it for us. I'm sure the SO can connect it or disconnect (in fact, I know he can), but he's got a recent muscle tear in his arm & I'm trying to make it easier on him by pestering all of you in the SD C-D forum!

My only concern would be that the parking area is close enough... don't want the trailer to go missing whilst we return home for another go 'round. It's only the 4'x8' model.

Great advice, thank you. One Angry Taxpayer... One Good Packer... yuk, yuk, yuk...

Old 10-15-2012, 07:51 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,369 times
You'll be fine. Someone I know parked the trailer right by the gates that open and loaded her stuff up. She was there for hours. Parking enforcement is pretty decent about this. They know what's up. If you leave it there all day, then you're in trouble. If you are in the act of loading it up, they have mercy.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
You'll be fine. Someone I know parked the trailer right by the gates that open and loaded her stuff up. She was there for hours. Parking enforcement is pretty decent about this. They know what's up. If you leave it there all day, then you're in trouble. If you are in the act of loading it up, they have mercy.
Hiya Tony. That's good to know. Was this by 3rd or Island? I asked Gerry about parking on the sidewalk, like the workers who just finished up the yoga studio & jewelry store on Island. Three giant trucks were parked there for 2-3 weeks... I had to almost crawl under them on a few days to get out of that door. Now that the stores are opened, Gerry didn't think they'll care to manage unless we pack after 6pm. Come to think of it, that might be a good option... picking up the trailer before closing since it's just 1/2-block away at Ballpark Storage & packing up then. Good idea, Tony.

Although, I'm all for tossing it over the balcony on 3rd & parking near those gates. Don't worry, my boxes will be fine... all those cars should break the fall.

By the way, my projection is when we return next spring, that jewelry store will be closed. Perhaps the yoga studio as well, since they're across the street from another more established place & that hidden location certainly can't do any business well. At least the chiropractor left a bench out on the sidewalk, I think in an effort to build new clients. Try to take that corner too fast in the morning, stumble to your knees & one becomes an instant patient.

Thanks, T!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM

50,247 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Hiya ATPayer. You know, I hadn't thought of that & it just might work if we can't get the loading area space. I'll have to run it passed the SO. He's in Denver for 2-wks finding us a humble abode... & I'm trying to find out about the packing part of it... which is like asking your 4-yr old to guard the b'day cake.

In fact, I just returned from U-Haul to have a hitch installed onto the SUV. There's a wire which now lights up on the hitch when I un/lock my car... from what I understand for the directionals to work on the trailer. When we p/u the trailer, they will connect it for us. I'm sure the SO can connect it or disconnect (in fact, I know he can), but he's got a recent muscle tear in his arm & I'm trying to make it easier on him by pestering all of you in the SD C-D forum!

My only concern would be that the parking area is close enough... don't want the trailer to go missing whilst we return home for another go 'round. It's only the 4'x8' model.

Great advice, thank you. One Angry Taxpayer... One Good Packer... yuk, yuk, yuk...
Put a padlock and cable on it. The cable can go through the wheel. The lock goes on the hitch so that doodad can't go up to get on the ball
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego