Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
you have your masters in accounting therefore I'm assuming you are a CPA? i don't think finding work will be an issue. My dad is a tax CPA out there in San Diego and found work quickly when he moved there last year.

i'm in a similar situation to you. i'll be moving out there with 5 years experience in finance/accounting (degrees in both) and sitting for my CPA once i get out there. I have over 50k saved and no debt as well as family who will be letting me stay with them until i find work. I think that last part is the biggest difference between my situation and yours.

That being said, you have plenty of savings and work in a good field for finding work quickly. i think you should go for it if thats where you want to live
No, I am not a CPA. Why would you assume that? I am not interested in public accounting. I prefer to work in industry (private companies). For example, the tax department of a corporation. CPA work is extremely stressful and requires massive amounts of overtime. I used to work for Deloitte and it was hell. Even small public accounting firms are hell to work for in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 01:13 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
If I were you I would set up appointments with hiring managers in firms which you think might suit you. It is competitive so you will have to get your foot in the door so to speak with the phone, charm and persistence. That means knowing the company well enough to find out where and what they lack or directions that they are going. You can do that over the phone or by sitting as a guest in the company cafeteria and making new friends. Central to your questions are what you know that they may want or (need). The worst outcome IMHO is that you will have made contacts shown up dressed sharp and looking smart and may attract some attention and/or inquiries. Give it two weeks here. You can also price living accommodations and areas which you might be interested in.

I cannot recommend that you relocate without first finding a job. Good luck hunting....

Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No, I am not a CPA. Why would you assume that? I am not interested in public accounting. I prefer to work in industry (private companies). For example, the tax department of a corporation. CPA work is extremely stressful and requires massive amounts of overtime. I used to work for Deloitte and it was hell. Even small public accounting firms are hell to work for in that regard.
me too. i've never worked for a public accounting firm (i work as a staff accountant for a small consulting firm), but for someone to have a MS in accounting I would assume they would have gone all the way and passed the CPA exam. being a licensed CPA is the gold standard when it comes to working in accounting, private or public.

IMO, that's throwing away lots of earning and promotional potential by not passing the CPA exam even if you work in private industry.

no way am I trying to work in public accounting, but its naive to think you only need a CPA to work in public accounting

Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I agree with GSU... of the all the certifications I've received over the years, my CPA (now inactive) was always the most valuable. Working in public accounting sucked and I only worked for a big firm for a few years. But being a CPA always kept me employed in both hot and cold job markets.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Yes you are going to love San Diego. It hits all of your requirements and then some. I would imagine you will end up in Hillcrest, which is the predominate Gay neighborhood in SD. It is very liberal, gay, safe and friendly. The weather here is unparalleled in the continental US.

Yes I think you can move here without a job. It sounds like your going to have about 40k which should last a while if you are frugal and willing to rough it for several years. You may have to work in a restaurant or some other transitional type of job so as not to deplete your savings. It will be rough but worth it if you are thinking 5 to 10 years down the line.

San Diego has about 3 million people in the city and surrounding county and there are about several million more just south of the border. There is alot of business and international trade here in San Diego so you should be able to find something reasonable.

In New York and the northeast you can find a dream job. In San Diego you should be able to find a job you can tolerate but have a dream lifestyle.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM

136 posts, read 161,708 times
Unfortunately you are priced out of San Diego real estate by a pretty long shot based on your criteria. You are also looking at about 1/2 the year having high temps less than 70, so you will be too cold at least 1/2 of the year. You may want to look at South Florida.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:52 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post

In New York and the northeast you can find a dream job. In San Diego you should be able to find a job you can tolerate but have a dream lifestyle.
LOL. Truer words never spoken said spouse and I after a hard day watching the sun sink into the pacific.Streaky blazes of orange and red and sea air make bad days go bye. FAST.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
To the OP, everything but the $250k budget for a house seems spot on.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:56 PM

289 posts, read 396,417 times
Before even considering some of your criteria I would have to ask; why would you consider moving to an area that you haven't ever been to?

You'll never be able to get definite answers to whether or not you'd like the area or if you will find a job. Both are to personal for anyone online to give you an absolute answer. If you're serious about relocating then hit the ground during a visit and see as much as you can in person.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM

192 posts, read 251,501 times
I agree with Toroid...plan a week visit and explore the area and then decide if you still want to move. Perhaps set up some appointments with recruiters while you're visiting.

A master's degree means nothing. I have an MBA, went to one of the best universities in California and I have 10 years of marketing experience. When I was laid off from my last job, it took me 6 months to find another one. Recruiters actually told me to take the MBA OFF my resume and just tell the employer later I have the degree just so I can get my foot in the door. I refused...finally ended up working for a biotech. That changed my whole career. Now, I am being transferred to the San Diego office. I would never have the opportunity to relocate if it wasn't for the job I have. When I was unemployed, I was willing to move ANYWHERE and the only interviews I could get out of state was Seattle and Alaska. Being in town is the best and aiming for companies that see a grad degree as an asset not an intimidation.

If you are laid back, you may want to look at Ocean Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego