Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM

242 posts, read 184,184 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are seriously contemplating a cross-country move back to our beloved North County, and are considering these three schools for our five year old son. From our point of view, they would each be a possibility and we really like different aspects of each. Of course before we apply we would be taking a scouting trip out to check them out. Just wondering if any of you had any experience with any of these schools or know anyone who has a first hand opinion. Thanks much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM

Anyone?

Old 10-22-2012, 03:47 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Perhaps people currently on this forum don't have any experiences with these schools, but if you search this sub-forum you will find some info. I just did and info on Encinitas Country Day was found.

Also try looking at San Diego Parent magazine and web site.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:58 PM

Ah, thank you futbol!

Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
You're welcome.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickgirl View Post
Hi all,
My husband and I are seriously contemplating a cross-country move back to our beloved North County, and are considering these three schools for our five year old son. From our point of view, they would each be a possibility and we really like different aspects of each. Of course before we apply we would be taking a scouting trip out to check them out. Just wondering if any of you had any experience with any of these schools or know anyone who has a first hand opinion. Thanks much!
I have two young children (5 and 8) and we live in Encinitas. I don't know anyone who has ever sent their kids to any of these schools. Make of that what you will. I don't know where the kids come from.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:47 PM

384 posts, read 980,555 times
Yes, if you live in Encinitas, I'd think that the public schools would be good enough. My neighborhood in Oceanside, however, has many people homeschooling or sending their kids to private schools.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks Encinitan and janineg! I know that two of them have around 300 kids and one has a lot less, so that could have something to do with it. Our son is currently in kindergarten but pulled out into a 3rd grade math class. I was under the impression that the public schools would have less flexibility with something like that, at least they do here, and that was one of our major reasons for doing private. Over here, they don't even test for the GATE type programs until 2nd grade, so that would be a couple of years of boredom for him. We also like the smaller type situation because he thrives in an environment like that, whereas a larger class size would be more overwhelming, although I know the Encinitas public schools are some of the better in the county. Do you know what the average class size is?

Old 10-23-2012, 03:20 PM

54 posts, read 99,678 times
Rhoades would be a good choice for a gifted child. When I was going through the Encinitas system, GATE was tested but there was little emphasis on it (mid 80's). Parents sent their GATE kids to Rhoades when it opened for parts of elementary school and were happy with it. I think GATE has drastically been improved in the district. Looks like average class size is 22 (according to greatschools.org). I'm not sure what the privates' ratios are, but I can't imagine it would be drastically less. I can't speak for elementary, but I don't believe kids that are going to the local private high schools (Cathedral, Santa Fe Christian) are getting into drastically better colleges on the whole than kids that are on the AP/Honors track at LCC, San Dieguito Academy or Torrey Pines).

Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the information Marinadistrict. 22 students in a public school class is not too bad by CA standards. Right now there are 13 kids in my son's class and anywhere from 10-20 seems to be pretty ideal, depending on the students and their needs. One of his preschool classes had 18 and that was fine, but the other had 13 and the poor teachers were overwhelmed with the combination of personalities! (same teachers, different years) So, small class size is never a garuntee, but the higher the number goes, the more difficult it is on the teachers and the stress levels just go up. Some of my friend's kids have 40 students in their elementary class and it is much more difficult to learn, that is just way too much.

We aren't too concerned about top level colleges at this point, so that's not really a deciding point between public/private. In fact, my husband never went at all and managed to be successful despite it, and we could care less about choosing a school for the "prestige". Our main concern is nuturing our son's love for learning by providing an appropriate environment where he will be challenged at his level of learning, so as not to become bored and unhappy. We want him to be successful and be able to choose a path that is meaningful for him, and if that includes a top college or none at all, then so be it.

ETA: So it may not be private for him the entire way through, as you said, there seem to be good public high schools and I guess we will make that determination when we get closer. We just want him to be able to keep the love of learning in his formative years and not have to wait until later to learn at an accelerated pace, if that makes sense. I know that I was not challenged for most of my school years and I became bored and grew to hate it. I don't want something like that to take root and color the whole experience of learning for a lifetime, if that makes sense. I am glad to hear that you knew of parents that were happy with Rhoades for their gifted kids. It does seem like it might be the top choice for us, but of course I would have to see them first to decide. Much too expensive of a choice to make from afar! :-O

Last edited by homesickgirl; 10-23-2012 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego