Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 PM

17 posts, read 38,060 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've been a lurker in these forums for awhile, so I figured I'd introduce myself! I am planning on relocating to San Diego around September of 2013. I am looking at getting some feedback from individuals who are familiar with the area on good places to live.

A little bit about myself... I'm an educated, 24 year old young professional who works in the IT/Software industry. I travel often for work, so my employer will be letting me work remotely from San Diego. I am open to the idea of exploring other similar career opportunities in the technology field, though. I enjoy staying in shape and spending time outdoors. I'm definitely past my college days of binge drinking, but I am still very social/outgoing, and love grabbing a few quality beers with friends.

Based on my research on City-Data and other websites, it looks like the area's of Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach sound like nice areas. Being around other young professional is always a plus, too. A clean, safe area with close access to the beach would be the most ideal scenario for me. As far as rent goes, I'm on a budget of around $1,100 (max). I'd almost prefer to live with another person to keep an eye out on the place when I'm on the road traveling... I'm sure they wouldn't mind having the place to themselves anyway

Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate any constructive feedback on places to live. Even a brief description of the various neighborhoods would be fantastic. Please let me know your opinion on PB/OB as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
This is off topic, but seriously, if you are a young professional, why would you come here? You'll be hit with the triple wealth killer of sky-high California income tax, California sales tax, and San Diego property prices. And if some of the upcoming tax propositions pass, look out -- California could lead the nation with the highest sales tax and the highest income tax. Just dreadful.

If you currently live in CA, then it's less of an issue, because you're already getting borked. But take it from someone who owns a business and knows how to manage money. If I were 24, I'd be looking to live in a low-cost state that pays a high salary. I'd do that for a few years, and save money hand-over-fist. Do that for a few years, and you could have a big portion of your retirement funds already squared away, because compounding will make that money grow to a very big sum as you age. You'll have a very nice sum awaiting you -- and it's going to come quick.

And what I would do is work in a low-cost state for a decade or so. After that, you'll have the enviable choice of either early retirement or semi-early retirement, choosing to work as you see fit, instead of being forced to work. Then I would think about extended vacations in the locales of my choosing.

I know this is not what you asked, but, for young professionals or young families, I can think of no worse a place than Southern California, where you are going to simply bleed money to pay for the basics.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
You know, if the guy wants to come here, let him come. Depending on where he's coming from all those things may be comparable to where he lives.

I'd rather live here without a lot to spare than live in Omaha or Des Moines a lot of money in my bank account.

The reason why California can do those things? People want to live here.

Now, having said that, PB may seem attractive to you, but a lot of people who have lived there tell me it's not a good place to be if you're beyond your drink til you puke years. From what I understand, OB is a little more laid back.

I'd also recommend you check out places like North Park, Hillcrest, and the downtown neighborhoods. You get an urban vibe there, and you can walk to everything you want.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:38 PM

USDefault - Thanks for the response. I completely understand that this may not be the most 'financially responsible' decision. A little background info on myself: I've lived in Kansas City my entire life, and am ready for a change. It's like this.. I'm 24 years old, and I'm fortunate enough to have a great job that I genuinely enjoy doing, while still having the flexibility to work/live wherever. Will I have to buckle down my spending a bit more? Sure. That's expected. I can afford to have a little less money in my pocket, but be just as happy (if not happier) in SD. Kansas City has an extremely low cost of living, and while it would be 'smart' to stick around and save, I'm just not interested in that. I can afford to take a risk like this at this age, but not so much 5-6 years down the road. I have no interest in getting married, buying a house, and having kids ANYTIME soon unlike the rest of my Midwest counterparts. California offers a completely different lifestyle that I really enjoy. Doesn't mean I'll be spending my entire life here, but I would like to get out and experience things from a different angle. Again, I really appreciate your insight and concern, but I have not overlooked the financial side of this move.

tonyinsd - Thanks for the response! I'm definitely on the same page as you as far as the lifestyle. I think I'll continue to look into OB... have heard great things about it having a 'smaller town feel' then many of the surrounding neighborhoods in SD. I will definitely look into the other neighborhoods that you mentioned as well. Could I expect to find rent within my budget ($1,100) in these areas? Again, living alone would be NICE, but I'll probably be looking for a roommate more likely than not.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:01 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
We live in OB but are older than you. There are a lot of young people here, that's for sure. Many of them work in service type industries and some are professional (as we are). There is in NO way a "scene" here where you will network at bars about work. Maybe about surfing.Lol. OB is much more laid back than PB. It is actually very quiet where we are for being so densly populated. people like living here to be relaxed, not obnoxious and loud. There is plenty of activity on Newport av, but it is quiet in the residential areas. It's funny you mention good beer. That is very appreciated in San Diego and OB is no exception. There is a microbrewery, and nearly every bar as a good selection of micros.

The biggest challenge will be housing and parking. I have heard the rental market is very competitive. I think your budget with a roommate is very doable. If you were alone, it could be challenging. Parking is really tight. Especially if you are close to the beach. Having a parking space would be important.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,445 times
And I should add, OB definitely has a small town yet urban vibe as well. We do 90% of our weekend errands on foot. It's built on a pedestrian scale which is nice.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 32,165 times
You're working remotely? Meaning you can move anywhere?

A 24 yr old professional in IT has no business in San Diego - the IT industry is terrible in SD right now. When it comes time for you to find another job you'll be leaving SD when you see that the salaries are lower than just about any other major city - but the costs to live there are just as high. Hell - you'd be smarter to move to LA. At least the salaries are higher.

You should really move to San Francisco/the Bay if you wanna live in California. If you work in IT/software you're making a big mistake if you choose SD over SF. Just my opinion - but I'm the same age, same field, and made the mistake of living in SD.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,862 times
Sheesh, people. This guy has decided he wants to be here. Let him make his move, and decide for himself.

And people, if you hate things so much in San Diego, what's stopping you from leaving? Seriously, when I see people say this is a horrible place to live, the first thought that comes to my mind is so why don't you do something about it?

All this talk about how horrible it is reminds me of the people who whine about their jobs and complain about how much they hate going to work in the morning. The question in my mind is always the same, even if I don't ask them it.

Why don't you do something about it?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:48 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
if you are looking to split with roomates I think you could get a very nice place on the north side of PB for your budget. There are some young professionals there. Not really in Ocean Beach or main drag areas in PB IMO.

IT is not great in San Diego but the OP said he is working remotely, so his career development shouldn't be too hindered. That said, don't expect to do any business networking in the beach bars.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 AM

Clevelandgal - Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely take all of this into consideration. I'm still open to looking into areas further east, such as Hillcrest/North Park

Bserra23 - I know for a fact that I do NOT want to work/live in LA. Too many people for my liking. I'm aware of the salary/cost of living variance in the IT sector in San Diego.Just out of curiousity, what is your IT background? I am not a developer, network engineer, or IT helpdesk of sorts. Most of my experience relates to consulting and analyst experience in the IT sector. I'd definitely be interested to hear more about your experience in SD. My main itch with SF is population density, HIGHER costs of living and a more mild (but still nice) climate. One thing to also add, is that my parents are looking at retiring near/in Las Vegas. Close proximity to them is important to me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego