Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 11:03 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

I'm considering my first day-trip to Mexico and am seeking advice (overlay with safety issues). Provide weblinks. Thanks in advance.

1. TJ or other (near border) city, ?Tecate
2. Logistics: 1) drive to border (where to park?), walk over, how to go from there?; 2) I don't think there is train anymore?; 3) other
3. What specifically to do in TJ? or other city, Tecate? Cultural things?
4. They take US dollars there I assume?
5. Other suggestions?

Last edited by bloom; 11-07-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
When I go to TJ, I walk across the border. It only takes a few minutes to do that. Or you can take a Mexi-Coach bus.
You should be able to park for under $10 close to the border.
Everyone takes US dollars in TJ.
I only go over to buy medication, so I don't know what there is to do there, but you also might want to post this in the Mexico forum for more suggestions.

Last, but not least, make sure that you have a passport or passport card to cross back into the US.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
You can drive down and park at any one of the pay lots near the Las Americas Plaza. The security there is militant about people parking to cross, so just pony up the dough and pay.
Or you can take the trolley straight down. It literally drops you right off there.

When I have gone, it was mostly away from Revolucion (the tourist area a la 42nd St in Manhattan). But when you cross over the border by foot, its really right there and its full of what you would expect in a touristy area (snowglobes, plastic pirate swords, I heart TJ shirts, restaurants with food generally not much better than a decent place here etc lol)

I prefer el centro de TJ/business district as its more reflective of what you would see in any bustling city. There is a great restaurant there called La Casa del Mole. Easily the best mole and carnitas I have had since living in SoCal and its cheap.
This part of TJ is best to get around by scooter or car.

I mean really it depends on what you want to accomplish on this trip. Is this a try out? Or are you looking to explore? If its just to dip your toe in the water, then just stick to the main routes and stay where its busier and get a feel for it and then bounce. Then as you take more trips, you can feel more comfortable with exploring around a bit. Just be street wise and low key like in any other major international city you are visiting for the first time.
TJ gets a bad rap, but its rich with culture and can be a very rewarding experience, especially if know locals to get around and really get the best of the area.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Well, I was in TJ yesterday. I found myself without dental insurance last week and needing a root canal. I got a rot canal in TJ yesterday and it cost $150.00 in US currency, I paid cash. It will cost another $150.00 for a porcelain crown when I go next week.

But alas, that is not what you are interested in and could actually be a whole different post.

Some observations:

They have changed the south bound gate into Mexico and it is now on the immediate east side of the San Ysidro Port of Entry (directly south of the trolley stop)

I drove my car and parked in the pay lot on San Ysidro Blvd about a block north of the port, across the street from Jack in the Box. Cost $7.00 for the day. The car was safe and secure and sitting with lots of other high end cars. There is a gate system with a ticket to punch with a guard on duty. Also, there is so much law enforcement in the area, SDPD, BP, and transit po-po, feds from the port, and others, I left my car there with no problem. This is a departure from the late 90s when it was the car theft capital of the US.

You could take the trolley very easily as well. It drops you off literally feet from the gate.

I walked into Mexico and caught the first yellow cab. You will walk past many people offering taxi service and other transport. I would ignore them if you are staying in TJ local and go straight for the yellow taxi stand. Yellow taxis are licensed by the GoM. There are also Taxi Libres (free taxis-not literally). Their licensing system is not so strict (hence the free mention), but they are cheaper. You should not pay more than 5 bucks to go downtown. My wife takes the taxi libre all the time-I am not as brave.

My suggestion for a day trip is to go to Rosarito. it is about 15 miles down south of TJ. Try and get the best price from either a yellow cab or transport co. Don't worry, you will have plenty of options, and they will be presented to you. Don't be afraid to haggle over price. Rosarito has the beach, shopping, restaurant, and hotels. it is nice, although I haven't been in quite some time.

Yes your dollars are accepted.

I worked in Mexico City for quite some time and have some observations as far as safety in Mexico:

Mexico is like the ocean-don't fear it, but definitely respect it. Obey the law, drive with insurance, and don't be an ugly American

If you are a tourist and don't plan on breaking the law and stick to the tourist areas, you will be fine.

If you are a criminal, narco trafficker, fugitive, prescription abuse seeker, you may and probably will end up in prison or worse.

There is general crime in Mexico, much like here and you need to have situational awareness of where you are and and possible threats. Don't get so drunk that you don't know where you or your wallet is. Tijuana vs south Chicago- I'll take TJ any day.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:00 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
I visited wine country. Beautiful and interesting.we toured and tasted at Dona Lupe and L.A Cetto. The issue is it was a cruise ship tour out of ensenada so I would not know how to link you to one that is more independent. I normally highly frown upon organized tours, prefer to explore on my own. But even I would not want to drink wine and drive around baja. I like designated drivers!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:29 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,239 times
If you are looking for an incredible restaurant, try Mision 19 in TJ. A little off the beaten path but you won't be sorry.

Mision 19 - San Diego Magazine - November 2011 - San Diego, California

Old 11-07-2012, 04:19 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Is this a worthwhile visit, or not so much?

Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT)
CECUT - Centro Cultural Tijuana

Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Visit some of the restaurants! No really, google Tijuana restaurant reviews from places like the New York Times or Chicago Tribune because there are a ton of really great restaurants which offer good value compared to similar offerings in the US which have gotten major international news coverage. We're talking the NYT's food critic calling TJ's food and dinning scene as being one of the best food destinations on the continent.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
If you are looking for an incredible restaurant, try Mision 19 in TJ. A little off the beaten path but you won't be sorry.

Mision 19 - San Diego Magazine - November 2011 - San Diego, California
I've been really wanting to go here. Once I start planning..the drive to the border, the crossing,getting a cab, and then the long line back over the border, belly full of food and drink...long drive home, I start think in&out is looking good. Maybe if I spent the night it would be more worthwhile.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Is this a worthwhile visit, or not so much?

Tijuana Cultural Center (CECUT)
CECUT - Centro Cultural Tijuana
My wife went a few weeks ago and saw an Imax film there and some local artist type of stuff. She said it was fine but does not rival the museums or theatres in Balboa Park. But still nice for TJ.

It probably has the most distinct architecture in all of Baja.

I saw a news article with Robert Redford visiting there:

Actor Robert Redford visits Tijuana | UTSanDiego.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego