Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Looks like you've done some homework. Yes, the further away from the ocean you are, the warmer and drier it will be. What's chilly to you? Summer days at my house are typically in upper 70's/low 80's, with random heat spells in between (This past summer, it went about 100 degrees 3 times), and I'm not as far inland as the places you mentioned. Sorta similar to New England weather, wouldn't you say?

I also disagree with those who say that the coast is cloudy for most of the year. If that were the case, I wouldn't be living here. Just don't come here thinking you will be wearing shorts and flip flops all year, but you won't need a parka, either.

If you want hot weather day in and day out during the summer, why not consider the desert? Palm Springs, Phx, Vegas and Tucson would all fit the bill. Temecula could work, too.
Yes, I have done some research already, to tell you the truth. If you can't tell from my typically very long posts on City-Data.com, I'm a rather thorough person. Haha. Most of the research I've done on the weather in the eastern suburbs of San Diego has been on this website, as well as weather.com. Weather.com, which is a fairly accurate website, indicates that Poway's average monthly high temperatures in the summer months are 90 degrees Fahrenheit or greater. To elaborate, that website lists July's average high temperature as 90 degrees, August's as 92 degrees, and September's as 90 degrees. But based on what you're telling me (upper 70's/low 80's), that doesn't seem to be the case...

That's why you cannot rely on these websites to provide you with the most accurate data. I think that the locals provide you with the most accurate data because people can provide you with perceptions, insight, and opinions whereas websites can't.

However, you are right: If Poway's average summer high temperatures are only really in the upper 70's/low 80's, then summer temperatures aren't that much different from those in New England...

Temecula seems like a better alternative than Palm Springs because it doesn't seem to get as hot as Palm Springs; which as we all know gets very, very hot in the summer. Also, Temecula is closer to the coast, most likely newer, and more family-oriented/family-friendly than Palm Springs, which I always think of as a retirement/resort community with a rather large LGBT population. Temecula also seems more connected to not only San Diego; but also Orange County, L.A., and Riverside; than Palm Springs.

How is the job market in the Temecula-Murietta area? I've heard that this area is similar to the Tri-Cities region in Washington state: One big, sprawling suburb. That's something I don't mind, believe it or not. I actually prefer a new-ish suburban community that's somewhat removed over a gritty city/metro area any day. Again, I'm originally from New England. Lol. And if the job market in that area is strong, even better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 04:36 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post

However, you are right: If Poway's average summer high temperatures are only really in the upper 70's/low 80's, then summer temperatures aren't that much different from those in New England...
Sorry for the confusion, the highs I referred to were for my house which are at least 8 degrees cooler than Poway. I think Weather.com has it right if it says average highs in Poway are in the upper 80s. Upper 90s are not uncommon there.

Quote:
Temecula seems like a better alternative than Palm Springs because it doesn't seem to get as hot as Palm Springs; which as we all know gets very, very hot in the summer. Also, Temecula is closer to the coast, most likely newer, and more family-oriented/family-friendly than Palm Springs, which I always think of as a retirement/resort community with a rather large LGBT population. Temecula also seems more connected to not only San Diego; but also Orange County, L.A., and Riverside; than Palm Springs.
Another good observation

Quote:
How is the job market in the Temecula-Murietta area? I've heard that this area is similar to the Tri-Cities region in Washington state: One big, sprawling suburb. That's something I don't mind, believe it or not. I actually prefer a new-ish suburban community that's somewhat removed over a gritty city/metro area any day. Again, I'm originally from New England. Lol. And if the job market in that area is strong, even better!
I think most would agree that Temecula serves as a bedroom community to both LA and SD, meaning lots of people have long commutes. Can't imagine there are plenty of high paying jobs in the area, but I could be wrong. It's definitely a new-ish community.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
San Diego has micro-climates... can vary within a few miles. I agree with previous poster, if you are expecting SD (anywhere) to be shorts and flip flops weather all year round, it won't be. Poway can get pretty darn hot in the summer (90's+). A few days ago it was 80 degrees and today it is pretty chilly and overcast, nights get into the mid-high 40's. SD isn't a tropical climate, like Florida. We do get a range of temperatures but nothing extreme (100+ or zero degree type weather) and it doesn't rain alot or ever snow...so it is mild. I think you would do better in Palm Springs, or Las Vegas.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The desert gets really cold at night. We are talking only about 15 miles inland during the winter. Cold as in friends in Santee had ice in their pipes. Even close to the beach you will have a few days of ice on the windows overnight.

Unless you move to Hawaii or closer to the equator you are going to have to adapt in the States.

We that live here would rather have June gloom over 115 they get in the desert that causes the whole thing.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:37 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Overall, isn't Poway a much nicer community than El Cajon? Are there any communities as nice as Poway east of El Cajon?

Again, I'm not familiar with the area at all.
We lived in Poway for 20 years. Poway is definitely much nicer. Poway is a great place to live and much better than the other places mentioned. Poway has a very low crime rate, great schools, very family oriented, and is just great place to live. Poway's climate is what you are looking for.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Yes, I have done some research already, to tell you the truth. If you can't tell from my typically very long posts on City-Data.com, I'm a rather thorough person. Haha. Most of the research I've done on the weather in the eastern suburbs of San Diego has been on this website, as well as weather.com. Weather.com, which is a fairly accurate website, indicates that Poway's average monthly high temperatures in the summer months are 90 degrees Fahrenheit or greater. To elaborate, that website lists July's average high temperature as 90 degrees, August's as 92 degrees, and September's as 90 degrees. But based on what you're telling me (upper 70's/low 80's), that doesn't seem to be the case...

That's why you cannot rely on these websites to provide you with the most accurate data. I think that the locals provide you with the most accurate data because people can provide you with perceptions, insight, and opinions whereas websites can't.

We have lived in the Temecula valley for 10 years. We moved here from Poway when I retired in 2002. We love it here. It is not a typical bedroom community for San Diego or OC. There are many wealthy areas here in Murrieta and Temecula where the people live here because they like it. This is a very low crime area. You can't begin to compare it with Palm Springs. We frequently visit Palm Springs for 3 day get aways but would never live there. It is hotter here than in Poway but not brutally hot like Palm Springs. I wouldn't live in Temecula/Murrieta if I had to commute to San Diego or OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego