Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:19 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,576,477 times

Advertisements

maybe i'll just use my parents address on my resume and fly out there for any interviews I get. sounds like it has worked before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
maybe i'll just use my parents address on my resume and fly out there for any interviews I get. sounds like it has worked before
Get a local phone number too. Google Voice is good for local numbers.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM

I'm going to throw it out there that there is a 90% chance my fiance and I will be moving out there without jobs.

However, my family is letting us stay with them indefinitely until we get on our feet. I'll personally have around 70k worth of savings, no debt, an active TS clearance, 2 degrees, 5+ years experience in my field, and a CPA candidate.

its a calculated risk I'm willing to take at this point in my life

i was just curious how most people landed work before moving there. I'm not expecting to be one of those people unless I get lucky.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
I'm going to throw it out there that there is a 90% chance my fiance and I will be moving out there without jobs.

However, my family is letting us stay with them indefinitely until we get on our feet. I'll personally have around 70k worth of savings, no debt, an active TS clearance, 2 degrees, 5+ years experience in my field, and a CPA candidate.

i was just curious how most people landed work before moving there. I'm not expecting to be one of those people unless I get lucky.

I posted this in another thread but I'll repost here:

Actually GMUAlum, based on what I've read from you on the boards, you sound like you're an ideal candidate to move here. You have family here that is offering to support you and you have a place to stay until you get on your feet and find a job, you are in a good field where you should be able to find a good job (I think you mentioned you are a CPA) and you have experience. Plus your parents will probably have started to at least build up a network which you might be able to take advantage of as well.

Also, I think you mentioned that you own a place there. From what my friends tell me in that area, the rental demand is very strong so you shouldn't have to worry about renting out your place if you decide not to sell it. Or if you decide you want to sell it, as long as it's well located, it sounds like you can easily sell it and probably have decent equity to boot.

Those are all big pluses. I've met people that were forced in becoming long-distance landlords because they weren't in a desirable area and couldn't sell their properties. But everyone I've met from the DC area ALL have kept their properties and are easily renting them out.

I think your "calculated risk" is good and in your situation you should do well. Although the cost of living here is high, you are already used to it living in a high COL area already.

Your biggest expense here would be rent/mortgage and if you can live rent free, I don't see you spending too much. It's another story when you have kids but as you don't have kids yet.....you should be in a great position not to spend much money.

Your situation is MUCH MUCH different than the various people that post on these boards and move to SD without a job.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
ΔΔ agreed.

Totally different for you gmu. Having a support system here puts you at such a greater advantage and can help you settle in a bit more.

For family that we helped out here, staying with us was invaluable for them during their house search. While they were retired, there was no timer going off and they were able to take their time getting settled and finding a great house.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
I think thats great you have family here and savings! That really does put you in a different category than people who really are just not prepared. Like me, you will eventually get a job, but it might take longer than you think (buts lets hope you are pleasantly surprised) At least you won't go into debt in the meantime. I spent 9 months as a kept women, but I was really happy to get back to work. When ever I moved or was ready for a job change the past, I found one immediately, not so here! I'd never gone that long in my life without working so it was strange to say the least. If you don't find something as soon as you hope, prepare yourself to work through feelings of not being worthy, should they arise. Thank goodness for my volunteer work which gave me a sense of purpose..

Now knowing you have a safety net, I think the skeptics might go easy on you!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:10 PM

289 posts, read 396,367 times
Quote:

You really are in an enviable position and would be able to move anywhere in the country, even without access to a free place to stay, for more then one year if you were willing to spend a portion of your savings. With your situation you'd be able to move a family of four to most places and not worry about paying rent and making due.

I'd imagine someone who has an active TS clearance and 5 years experience is only a person or so removed from the job they want in SD. If possible, without compromising any job you currently hold, start working your contacts about openings in SD.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 AM

ER, i'll be a CPA candidate meaning I'll be in the process of taking the exam. Also, I just sold my condo two days ago to an investor in my building (no realtors involved ). I ran all the numbers when looking at the possiblity of renting it and no matter which way you cut it, I'd be taking a monthly loss so I decided to sell it. Even renting it furnished, when you take out the management company fee I'd be taking a loss. It's a 500 sq ft studio, and I'm now renting it back from the new owner until we move to SD. Its small, but it has also enabled me to save a good amount over the last year or so, hence the 70k.

Thanks Toroid. I think I'm in a pretty good position to make this move. My fiance does have a car payment as well as some student loans to pay. However she is out front of both of her payments and doesn't have a payment due for either loan for a few months. She has a college degree and a few years of experience but she works for a magazine publication so the opportunities won't be as many for her. However, she is willing to look at other career options as well. She is also a native Spanish speaker which apparently is a plus.

We are lucky to have family out there so our expenses will be very minimal while we look for work.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Ah ok. Got it. Well once you get your CPA license I'm sure you'll have many more opportunities. Heading into the future that is a good field to be in. In my former company I hired 3 in-house CPA's and they did an incredible job.

Congrats on selling your place before moving. That's one less headache for you. Being an out of town landlord is NO fun. I do own many properties out of town but I have family and VERY close friends in those towns that help me manage them and it works that way. But it still can be a nightmare at times. Just last week alone I had to buy a new LCD TV, new refrigerator, and new Air Conditioner. Not fun at all.

But as mentioned, YOU are exactly the type that can safely move out here. If you read the past posts, almost no one is in your situation. People on these boards will give very objective advice.

Go back and check and most that ask about potentially moving here that were in a weak position to move.....almost none of them come back to post follow up posts. The sad truth is the majority of people that move here with no job lined up, limited savings, don't know anyone, etc. don't make it here for the long term.

But definitely I see you doing well here in the future. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:35 PM

289 posts, read 396,367 times
Quote:
Thanks Toroid. I think I'm in a pretty good position to make this move. My fiance does have a car payment as well as some student loans to pay. However she is out front of both of her payments and doesn't have a payment due for either loan for a few months. She has a college degree and a few years of experience but she works for a magazine publication so the opportunities won't be as many for her. However, she is willing to look at other career options as well. She is also a native Spanish speaker which apparently is a plus.

We are lucky to have family out there so our expenses will be very minimal while we look for work.
Hope you two have a better wedding then you'd ever planned for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego