Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,555,398 times

Advertisements

How did you line up your job before you moved without a local address? Was it a company transfer or did you just get lucky and land an interview?

It seems most people offer those who want to move to San Diego some simple, but not so easy advice: Line up a job first.

To me, it seems most people could unsuccessfully spend the rest of their lives trying to line up a job in San Diego before moving there, yet it seems that plenty of people have managed to do so.

So please, tell us your story on how you were able to do this?

As someone planning on moving to San Diego in less than a year, I'm interested in hearing your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 02:10 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,353,375 times
I can't answer the part about finding a job as I already own my own company so I didn't need to line up a job. However, I've met several people that moved here from other areas.

Most of them had something lined up before they came out here via getting transferred from their company which had offices/business here or they were in a C-Suite position (CEO/CFO/COO) type and got recruited.

A few others that didn't have jobs lined up moved out here where at least their spouse/significant other had a job and that gave them some time to find a job. And in at least a few that I met, they decided to take a job that they were way overqualified for but wanted to get employed so they took it anyway.

There were only a VERY small handful of people that I've met since moving here that didn't have a job lined up. They used a local address of either a friend/family for the address and got a local phone number via Google Voice so they had a San Diego phone number.

It seems like it's essential to do this because local companies get so many resumes from out State that they really don't take seriously anyone that isn't already here. There might be some exceptions to the rule (especially at the C Suite position) but most of the companies here want you to already be in San Diego.

I know for some people it will probably be impossible to line up a job before they move out here. In that case, my only advice would be to have plenty of savings built up.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:35 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,761,303 times
Company transfer. I'm in a specialized field in tech. There was request for someone who held certain unique skills so I went after it after going from the DC area to Los Angeles (2 yrs) then to San Diego(1.5). Loved both, enjoyed everything SoCal offered and had no regrets.

However, I was working long hours in both cities(60-70hrs/wk) so the work/life balance for me was going down the drain and I didn't like the management in the SD job. So eventually I moved back to the DC area after taking a more stable and less hectic position (still not relaxing but tech isn't really an easy career) and haven't left since. I don't have any plans on going back to SoCal except for visits.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 6,142 times
In an ideal world, lining up the job before moving is the smartest thing to do. Unfortunately, tough times require risk taking so it really depends on how much of a risk you are willing to take. It also depends upon your current employment status. Obviously, if you have a job, you shouldn't move out here without lining up a new job. But, if you are currently unemployed and can afford to take a risk, it might be a risk worth taking. Your job search and opportunities for success depend upon your skills and how you fit in the SD market.

The biggest challenge is housing, especially if you are a renter. Most rentals require some proof of income or employment. It will be a significant challenge if you have kids or pets. Extended stay hotels are a great option and comparable to rentals in the SD area.

My advice: secure housing before moving to SD and starting your job hunt.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:35 PM

289 posts, read 394,709 times
The question people who are willing to make the move without a job is; Why San Diego?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
The question people who are willing to make the move without a job is; Why San Diego?
I think for many people it just comes down to them kind of falling in love with the city. Some probably came out for vacation and just totally fell in love with the area. Also, it's not difficult to really appreciate the great weather as much of the country either has brutally cold winters or hot summers.

Personally, I think San Diego is one of the most beautiful cities in America. Great beaches, nice mountain setting as well. Many cities really are blah or down right ugly.

I've seen the same type of thing with other cities in the world that I've traveled to. People just fall in love with the city. However, it's one thing to be out on vacation and one thing to realistically deal with the economy, etc. here.

I don't fault people for wanting to live here at all. I just constantly stress that people need to understand the dynamics of the job market and economy here. Not to mention the "vibe". Some people hear that San Diego is one of the largest cities in America and just totally underestimate the small town vibe of the city.

Many people mistakenly think because there are millions of people living in San Diego and it's one of the largest Metropolitan areas in the USA there are tons of jobs. Unless you're in one of the specialized fields here the chances of landing a very high paying job are few and far between here. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that. But you have to understand that going into it.

I've been coming to San Diego on vacations since I was a kid but didn't really truly understand what a different vibe this city has until I permanently moved here. Also, for as big of a population as the San Diego metropolitan area is, you can find it a "small world". I can't tell you how many times I've ran into a friend of a friend type situation where as many as 8 or 9 people I met were connected by a "1 degree of separation type thing". Especially here in North County.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,236,439 times
I didn't have a thing lined up and it was my gf (now wife) that got the job offer from someone she worked with already on the east coast. I just finished school for business and needed a break so helped her move out. Applied for finance, chamber jobs etc. Fail.Tried to volunteer as an intern at the chamber of sd, they were not interested. This is coming from someone that studied/lived abroad and had legit international working experience. I noticed really fast my credentials meant **** for the local market.

Had been to SD before and while it wasn't like twisting my arm to come, it certainly wasn't s place I 'had to' move to either. We came out to scout apartments for a week and prepaid 6 months in advance for a place near her office, flew back amend drove cross country.

Worked with some of my 'back up' experience in hospitality for a couple of years in SD to get some local experience which is miles different from what I do now in tech. Never in a million years did I think I would help start a tech company and sell it to a company on the NYSE ( meaning this wasn't a plan, two years prior)

In other words, there was no grande plan. Sometimes oppts come that have nothing to do with jobs or a dream to live somewhere. About the only thing I had was a good attitude, sizable savings and keeping an open mind when meeting people. Last but not least, luck. I believe if you do the right things, oppts can come your way.
You never know who you might run into, but you gotta be here to play and this applies to anywhere.

SD is our home, we like it, but is definitely not the end all be all. In my experience, No place is. Every city I have ever been to has pros/cons just like SD does. We don't have an itch to move any time soon.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 11-27-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,555,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toroid View Post
Just curious if you grew up and lived in SD your whole life?

So from what I'm reading in this thread, most people got a company transfer (or their SO did) and moved out here. I haven't heard of anyone applying for a job out of state and getting an interview lined up yet

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,528,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
I haven't heard of anyone applying for a job out of state and getting an interview lined up yet
Local employers don't need to look out of the area for employees. Unless you have some very unique skill, San Diego employers have an abundance of willing and able talented people living right here in San Diego to choose from.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
So from what I'm reading in this thread, most people got a company transfer (or their SO did) and moved out here. I haven't heard of anyone applying for a job out of state and getting an interview lined up yet

I'm sure it might happen but I do think it's few and far between. I have an executive recruiter friend here in San Diego and she told me that most companies right away toss out or set aside out of state applications. She said they have so many qualified (or over qualified) locals in any given search that they don't need to consider out of state applicants.

I'm sure this won't apply to some high demand fields here. But for the vast majority of the jobs out there in San Diego it sounds like they are just getting thousands upon thousands of resumes and have their pick to choose from. It's much easier for them to pick someone that is already living here and established here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Local employers don't need to look out of the area for employees. Unless you have some very unique skill, San Diego employers have an abundance of willing and able talented people living right here in San Diego to choose from.
EXACTLY. I have seen some C-suite positions where it was a "national search" and they were entertaining strong candidates from across the USA. But in the end they still typically hire a local that has ties to the local community and a built in local "network". That seems to be big here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego