U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 10:03 PM

14,465 posts, read 28,196,913 times

Advertisements

The dentist's office that I go to in TJ has pictures of their practice on their website.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 PM

2,154 posts, read 1,124,048 times
Just curious, has anyone reading this thread gone to TJ for medical care besides dental?
What about dermatology?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM

3,059 posts, read 1,751,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Just curious, has anyone reading this thread gone to TJ for medical care besides dental?
What about dermatology?
I'm curious why this question is so remarkable. Everyone's aware that the 100 million people in Mexico all go to Mexican doctors and dentists, right? For some reason, an awful lot of Americans believe that medicine must be out of the 18th Century or something.

The reason for the huge price disparities isn't because Mexico "cheaps out", or because the town dentist is the guy who happens to own a pair of pliers. They just haven't saddled themselves with an enormous, complicated web of regulations, insurance, bureaucracy, and paperwork. Not to say there aren't medical standards, but they don't have or need offices full of people to bill insurance companies, people to monitor dozens of laws and regulations, people to do audits and fill out paperwork and to carefully track every grain of "controlled substances".

We could have the same thing here. We could have doctor visits be affordable and have house calls and the rest of it. But we don't want that... we've come up with this idea that health care should be "free", in that it's some kind of tragedy if anyone ever has to open their own wallets to pay for medical care. We think "insurance should pay for everything!" without wondering how they can pay that. We bemoan the sky-high costs of insurance, and screech that our employers should pay thousands a month for our families to be covered, then moan about no salary increases and jobs disappearing.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,731,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
What about dermatology?
Several years ago, I was working in Mexico City temporarily and living at the Marriott across the street from the US Embassy. On two different occasions I received medical care when I was down there, both non-life threatening.

First occasion I contracted a bad case of flu or Montezuma's revenge, not sure which. A doctor made a house call to my room and gave me an IV and an injection of something that made me feel almost instantaneously better. The bill was a 1000 pesos. I paid and got a receipt. My insurance reimbursed me when I got home.

The other occasion was when I was in a car accident. Not life threatening but they took me to a hospital in Polanco because they thought I might have had a concussion. I didn't. It was a modern looking facility and just as nice as any in the US. This was an on-duty type of thing so I did not have to worry about how to pay or insurance.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM

987 posts, read 490,031 times
So what is the process regarding finding a regular Doctor in TJ? Covered CA is not something that I want to join. I did sign up for a Catastrophic Health Ins plan,but I would like to find a Doctor. A naturopathic Doctor would be a bonus.

Tia!

Old 01-11-2019, 04:09 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,092,380 times
^^ This plan in San Diego offers health insurance with their medical facilities located just across the SY border.

SIMNSA - Health Plan

Old 01-11-2019, 05:20 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,432,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
The dentist's office that I go to in TJ has pictures of their practice on their website.
Yes thanks and it looks clean I just want to make sure they run everything through the machines that sterilize everything. I am sure they do I just want to see it.

I just need to plan a weekend now and go across the border and getter done.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 PM

987 posts, read 490,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ This plan in San Diego offers health insurance with their medical facilities located just across the SY border.

SIMNSA - Health Plan
This only works for Employers with 5 or more employees; not for individual coverage

Old 01-11-2019, 08:19 PM

14,465 posts, read 28,196,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Yes thanks and it looks clean I just want to make sure they run everything through the machines that sterilize everything. I am sure they do I just want to see it.

I just need to plan a weekend now and go across the border and getter done.
Everything is state-of-the art and clean. If you have doubts, don't go. I referred them someone else last year, and when she wanted to know if the office was clean, you don't want to know what I told her, because It wasn't very nice.

The office isn't within walking distance of the border, you have to take a taxi. If you want to be closer to the border, use Washington Dental.

Here are their Yelp reviews. https://www.yelp.com/biz/odontolog%C...xico-tijuana-4

Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,432,323 times
Thanks much can't rep you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego