U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,975,507 times

Advertisements

When I first came to SD I was referred to a dentist in Del Mar by my NY dentist.

The guy introduced himself as a military dentist and proceeded to tell me I needed $10 K worth of veneer work done and that time was crucial.

I get referred to a dentist in Tijuana and he compliments me on taking such good care of my teeth and tells me all I need is a little plaque removed behind my front teeth. He then proceeds to ask me how I keep them so clean. I respond I brush with 2 hands to get into the crevices.

This was a little over 2 years ago. Since then my TJ doctor replaced a chipped tooth for me for $140 which included the work, X rays, and the replacement tooth part.

Why does my USDA certified american doctor tell me I need $10 K worth of veneers ?

I hate feeling like prey when visiting the dentist.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,609,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Why does my USDA certified american doctor tell me I need $10 K worth of veneers ?
Everyone knows that it's so you can chip in for his third Bentley, his daughters Porsche, and the family Yacht. Not to mention pushing the drugs so that he gets his kickback...err...referral bonus from Big Pharma.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:03 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,722,220 times
Quote:
When I first came to SD I was referred to a dentist in Del Mar by my NY dentist.

The guy introduced himself as a military dentist and proceeded to tell me I needed $10 K worth of veneer work done and that time was crucial.

I get referred to a dentist in Tijuana and he compliments me on taking such good care of my teeth and tells me all I need is a little plaque removed behind my front teeth. He then proceeds to ask me how I keep them so clean. I respond I brush with 2 hands to get into the crevices.

This was a little over 2 years ago. Since then my TJ doctor replaced a chipped tooth for me for $140 which included the work, X rays, and the replacement tooth part.

I hate feeling like prey when visiting the dentist.
I have always felt that dentists were the medical version of mechanics. They want to get at least a grand out of you to sit in the chair. Dental insurance makes it no better.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:41 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,057,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I have always felt that dentists were the medical version of mechanics. They want to get at least a grand out of you to sit in the chair. Dental insurance makes it no better.
This is very true. I have good dental insurance and for major procedures it’s cheaper down there. I’d get rid of it but it’s through my company and my partners and managers all want dental so no sense in getting rid of it, besides we really wouldn’t save much if I came off.

Unless you have serious issues going to Mexico, or a really great plan paid for by your employer, it makes no sense in having dental insurance living in San Diego. tijlover made reference to how lucky we are in this regard, along with prescriptions and medical care too. There’s no denying housing costs a lot here, and like it or not it should because of our location, but you can really save a lot of money by taking advantage of our proximity to Mexico.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 PM

20,274 posts, read 23,808,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Everyone knows that it's so you can chip in for his third Bentley, his daughters Porsche, and the family Yacht. Not to mention pushing the drugs so that he gets his kickback...err...referral bonus from Big Pharma.
My dentist in Tijuana told me that in the U.S. dentists are under pressure to always install the newest available equipment in their dental clinics, whether they need it or not. Which, in effect, raises their prices.

My first dentist in TJ worked hard to become an American Dentist, he finally achieved that goal, and he wasn't over the Border long before he returned to TJ. Partly because of that pressure to keep buying new equipment.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:57 PM

987 posts, read 481,727 times
I went to the Dentist today on the US side in Chula Vista.
I had lots of x-rays done standing first. Then after I sat down in The Chair, I had more X-rays done of the problem tooth.
The dentist examined my mouth and told me to stick out my tongue. She said I have a white spot on the side of my tongue. She said the same thing my friend predicted: My back upper tooth was infected and I needed antibiotics for 5 days. She said I could come back for an extraction after 5 days and discuss alternative tooth options then. I let her see my previous dental work and she said I have gum disease. I was thinking so do 50 million other Americans, right? I bit my tongue. I was then told to wait in the front waiting room for my RX. So, the visit ended with the Dentist changing her mind about me coming back to see her for the extraction. She wrote me an RX and wrote me a letter to a new Ortho DR. of my choice. The X-rays that were taken were never shown to me either, nor did I ask for them (I will go back and retrieve them this week it's very close to my house)
So now I have to start all over, and I am thinking of going to TJ to see a DR about the tongue lesion. I googled it and it could be cancer, except I have none of the symptoms listed. Still, it needs to be checked out. I am in no pain from the visit today. I wonder if she could tell I was going to be a handful. I bit a dentist when I was 5 years old. Just that one time, I got in a lot of trouble!

Old 01-23-2019, 08:07 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,975,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
The X-rays that were taken were never shown to me either, nor did I ask for them (I will go back and retrieve them this week it's very close to my house)
My dentist in TJ always goes over the X-rays with me. He starts the explanation by saying " Now you will be the dentist this afternoon".

I appreciate it because it makes me feel like we are a team and not some pee- on wearing a bib AND I get to understand what is going on.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM

4,945 posts, read 5,030,409 times
Quote:
I appreciate it because it makes me feel like we are a team and not some pee- on wearing a bib AND I get to understand what is going on.
^^ And this is how healthcare should be. No one knows your body better than you know it yourself...not even our doctors.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:28 PM

987 posts, read 481,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ And this is how healthcare should be. No one knows your body better than you know it yourself...not even our doctors.

I have a Dr appt. in Tj on Saturday. I am going to cross via MTS Trolley and walk the 15 minute walk to the place. It is called simnsa:

SIMNSA - Health Plan

Should I wear a bullet proof vest and a hardhat just to be safe during my walk?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:06 AM

4,945 posts, read 5,030,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I have a Dr appt. in Tj on Saturday. I am going to cross via MTS Trolley and walk the 15 minute walk to the place. It is called simnsa:

SIMNSA - Health Plan

Should I wear a bullet proof vest and a hardhat just to be safe during my walk?
Nope, no need for that as you'll be fine as long as you know where you are going exactly. You might experience a long wait coming back being it is Saturday, but you'll be fine. MAP IT FIRST and let us know how it goes after.

Also, be careful about worrying yourself with Dr Google. I too have been down that path two or three years ago where I thought I had lung cancer thanks to Google, turns out it was just extreme case of GERD. I almost went "Walter White" thanks to Google's diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego