Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 03:09 PM

175 posts, read 183,262 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 30s, single, no kids.

What would be the best area to live for someone like me? I'm trying to be 30 mins (max) from the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
If you are a 9 to 5 er working in El Cajon, you'd be going against traffic. You could theoretically live anywhere west of El Cajon along the 8 freeway from Ocean Beach to El Cajon itself and it would be a 30 min max drive.

Now if your work starts in the afternoon, the story changes...

Old 06-06-2019, 05:41 PM

175 posts, read 183,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
If you are a 9 to 5 er working in El Cajon, you'd be going against traffic. You could theoretically live anywhere west of El Cajon along the 8 freeway from Ocean Beach to El Cajon itself and it would be a 30 min max drive.

Now if your work starts in the afternoon, the story changes...
This is good to know. Job is flexible. I'd probably start around 9am.

Where do you think would be a good area to live, though (besides downtown) and more towards El Cajon?

I like to be around good restaurants/cafes. Is La Mesa decent?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:12 PM

6,506 posts, read 7,538,629 times
Since you are 30 and single, I take it you will be living the apartment life...?

Yes, as a new comer I would totally live in La Mesa especially if it were walking distance from the village area and the Trolley which would allow me to explore the rest of the city without having to drive. La Mesa is the up and coming town/neighborhood.

If you are into hiking, the San Carlos area is also very nice and quiet neighborhood near the Mission Trails Park with lots of apartments.

If you want to be near bars, restaurants and breweries then I would look at University Heights/Normal Heights/Kensington or maybe North Park. Lots of action in that area and quick easy access to the 8 freeway to get to El Cajon every weekday morning.

If you want to save on money and drive as short a distance as possible and don't mind living in a gritty neighborhood, then just live in the city of El Cajon.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM

26 posts, read 19,470 times
1. Mission Valley. You'll be driving against traffic and find a thousand places to rent in every price range. Shops, restaurants, night clubs. A lot of young people.

2. UTC- The area around University Town Center (La Jolla'ish) would be another choice but it will push your commute another 10 or 15 minutes. Not sure about the cost of housing VS MV.

We actually live in the City of El Cajon (Fetcher Hills). I wouldn't recommend this area or La Mesa if you need to fill your evenings socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego