Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:55 AM

316 posts, read 664,157 times

Advertisements

A lot of great suggestions so far. If you can, I'd recommend the USS Midway Museum. It's not free and probably not considered cheap, but I think they offer military discounts. Your boyfriend will likely appreciate the history of it, as well as the stories from the old timers (most, if not all of the volunteers are retired veterans, some of whom were stationed on the Midway). You'd have to plan for it to take the majority of the day (if not all). My friend and I did it over the summer; we only had about 3 1/2 hours and wished we had planned for the entire day. Any of the suggestions will be fun though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,398,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt518 View Post
A lot of great suggestions so far. If you can, I'd recommend the USS Midway Museum. It's not free and probably not considered cheap, but I think they offer military discounts. Your boyfriend will likely appreciate the history of it, as well as the stories from the old timers (most, if not all of the volunteers are retired veterans, some of whom were stationed on the Midway). You'd have to plan for it to take the majority of the day (if not all). My friend and I did it over the summer; we only had about 3 1/2 hours and wished we had planned for the entire day. Any of the suggestions will be fun though.
that sounds like it would be cool! He loves that stuff. we may have to do it another trip though. I showed him the hangliding thing and he really wants to do that too so we may just plan a completely separate trip to do all that stuff in one trip.

oh, and thanks for the great ideas guys! I've been to seaport village quite a few times but I love the areas near it so that's an idea too!

Old 12-07-2012, 02:59 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,549,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
that sounds like it would be cool! He loves that stuff. we may have to do it another trip though. I showed him the hangliding thing and he really wants to do that too so we may just plan a completely separate trip to do all that stuff in one trip.

oh, and thanks for the great ideas guys! I've been to seaport village quite a few times but I love the areas near it so that's an idea too!
Your boyfriend will have a great time. Youtube and Vimeo have lots of gliderport videos. Just search 'gliderport' and you'll see lots of clips.

Here's an example: https://vimeo.com/31176101

Old 12-07-2012, 05:06 PM

9 posts, read 11,354 times
Balboa park is a great option. It isn't clear what days you'll be in San Diego, but there is Free Tuesday for the museums where residents and active military get in free:
Free Balboa Park Museum Admission

As for La Jolla Cove, there is a short trail that offers beautiful views: La Jolla Walking Trail

Tell us how your short trip turns out!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:31 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,398,264 times
Hi anna, We'll be there Sunday the 30th but we plan to drive up to LA around 5 p.m. though so we have enough time to chill for the night with my friend that we'll be visiting. If the cost of gas isn't too bad, we may decide on a whim to do something in SD on the drive back, but that is pretty unlikely.

I'm hoping traffic isn't too bad but being that its New years weekend, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego