Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 17,327 times

Advertisements

Looks to me that some of the TOUTED cities to move to - are NOT really that safe. I.e. look at Dallas-Fort Worth, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and forget Detroit!

I recall reading about many of these cities which are even worse than L.A. to move to and leave San Diego, yeah, right!

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004902.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 03:59 PM

226 posts, read 999,459 times
Phoenix is becoming the next LA.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:35 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I grew up in the NYC area. Per capita, it is among the safest cities in the country, but compared to San Diego, there are neighborhoods in NYC that feel like Baghdad. Still, there are cops EVERYWHERE in NYC. You see them all over the place. I rarely see SDPD aside from a black & white enroute to somewhere else.

LA is a different story. I can't count how many stories I've read about young children getting shot standing in their driveway in the past few months. That stuff just doesn't really happen in San Diego.

In my neigborhood, we have some minor crime late at night on the main roads, but rarely anything beyond a car theft inside our neighborhood. There are a couple streets I stay away from after dark, but they are adjacent to the main drag, are poorly lit, or contain some ghetto apartments. In some Brooklyn neighborhoods you can make a wrong turn and end up in a warzone.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKnight View Post
Looks to me that some of the TOUTED cities to move to - are NOT really that safe. I.e. look at Dallas-Fort Worth, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and forget Detroit!

I recall reading about many of these cities which are even worse than L.A. to move to and leave San Diego, yeah, right!

Take a look at the crime stats for Philly, Houston, or Atlanta sometime!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Well:the bigger the city the safer it is
It's all about population

Old 04-20-2007, 04:21 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I grew up in the NYC area. Per capita, it is among the safest cities in the country, but compared to San Diego, there are neighborhoods in NYC that feel like Baghdad. Still, there are cops EVERYWHERE in NYC. You see them all over the place. I rarely see SDPD aside from a black & white enroute to somewhere else.

LA is a different story. I can't count how many stories I've read about young children getting shot standing in their driveway in the past few months. That stuff just doesn't really happen in San Diego.

In my neigborhood, we have some minor crime late at night on the main roads, but rarely anything beyond a car theft inside our neighborhood. There are a couple streets I stay away from after dark, but they are adjacent to the main drag, are poorly lit, or contain some ghetto apartments. In some Brooklyn neighborhoods you can make a wrong turn and end up in a warzone.

I met a guy in Denver who went to NYC and said every corner he drove by had a body laying in the street with a white sheet over it.

As far as Phoenix being the next L.A., I'd give Vegas that honor.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I met a guy in Denver who went to NYC and said every corner he drove by had a body laying in the street with a white sheet over it.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:40 PM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Absolutely ridiculous.
Ridiculous because he's right or ridiculous because he might have exaggerated?

Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
Ridiculous because he's right or ridiculous because he might have exaggerated?
He exaggerated, obviously. 8 million people in NYC, including quite a few billionaires. if there was a dead body on every corner I'm sure some of them would leave ;-)

Old 04-20-2007, 06:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKnight View Post

Any large city is going to have high crime. But most folks do not live in the heart of the city.
There a very low crime rates for example, within 10 min of Dallas or Fort Worth proper.

MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: