Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:33 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times

Advertisements

I didn't know that there was a proposal for this, but it appears someone is pushing for a sculpture in O'side memorializing Junior.

I will always have fond memories of Junior's play on the field and admire his philanthropic nature. I know there are lots of unanswered questions regarding his suicide and why someone that popular would take their own life.

My two cents worth,

I think it is in bad taste and he is not an appropriate role model to memorialize, seeing that he took his own life. I think it sends the wrong message to our community and children.

My thoughts, go ahead and tear me a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
My two cents worth,

I think it is in bad taste and he is not an appropriate role model to memorialize, seeing that he took his own life. I think it sends the wrong message to our community and children.

I knew Junior personally and think about him and his contributions to san diego daily.
With that said i agree,no more memorials should be put up in his honor.

Last edited by hitman619; 12-18-2012 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Quote:

I would agree.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Was that memorial statue the surfer version of him? I thought I had heard that.

A statue might not be fitting and I agree. A more palatable solution might be to hold annual memorial events in his name, which it sounds like might already be in the works.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
From all accounts, Junior was a wonderful guy and helped out quite a bit with many causes and charities over the years. I do find it very sad that he took his own life but I can't even begin to understand what some of these professional football players go through that sustain hit after hit over the course of decades and their professional career.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that as long as private funds are used, I don't see any problem at all for his friends, family and fans to memorialize him with a statue. (Unless you're talking about some other statue).

Seau Memorial Statue - Home

The website is VERY clear they aren't soliciting the City of Oceanside or it's residents for funds and only asking people that want to donate to donate.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with that at all and in fact I admire them for specifying on their website that they aren't soliciting funds from the City.

May the guy rest in peace.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 191,727 times
Quote:
I didn't know that there was a proposal for this, but it appears someone is pushing for a sculpture in O'side memorializing Junior.

I will always have fond memories of Junior's play on the field and admire his philanthropic nature. I know there are lots of unanswered questions regarding his suicide and why someone that popular would take their own life.

My two cents worth,

It's just the opposite. Clearly you've never been depressed or had thoughts of suicide and I commend you, but it's a living hell. And, a lot of children will suffer from this kind of depression in their teenage years and in adulthood. Sending a message that people who succumb to depression and take their own lives won't be honored in any way only adds to the "the world is against me" mindset that depressed people are submerged in, and would only serve as yet another element to make them feel that suicide is the only way out. I would dare to say that honoring Junior would actually prevent suicides, as a matter of fact. It would send a message that it's ok to be depressed and *feel* like committing suicide, feel like suicide is the only way out, but you're not alone, because admired men like Junior Seau suffered from what you're suffering from. It's the feeling of utter isolation and loneliness that puts most suicidal people over the edge.

Last edited by RobSac; 12-18-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
From all accounts, Junior was a wonderful guy and helped out quite a bit with many causes and charities over the years. I do find it very sad that he took his own life but I can't even begin to understand what some of these professional football players go through that sustain hit after hit over the course of decades and their professional career.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that as long as private funds are used, I don't see any problem at all for his friends, family and fans to memorialize him with a statue. (Unless you're talking about some other statue).

Seau Memorial Statue - Home

The website is VERY clear they aren't soliciting the City of Oceanside or it's residents for funds and only asking people that want to donate to donate.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with that at all and in fact I admire them for specifying on their website that they aren't soliciting funds from the City.

May the guy rest in peace.
Didn't know it was private funds.
That puts a whole new twist on it.
We are so fortunate and proud to have the Jr Seau Football/Park sports Complex here in La Mesa

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Didn't know it was private funds.
That puts a whole new twist on it.
We are so fortunate and proud to have the Jr Seau Football/Park sports Complex here in La Mesa

Yeah, I agree it makes a big difference if they are trying to do something with tax dollars vs. private individual's funds.

I've never had depression before but I know other people that have. And I even know some people that committed suicide before. And while I agree suicide wasn't the right answer and not the way out, I don't judge their life by those few seconds during that act. I judge their life based on all the years that I knew them and all the good acts they did during their lifetime.

I don't think by any memorials going up anyone is going to be glamorized with the idea of suicide. Hopefully the memorials will help highlight all the great things these people did during their lifetime.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:07 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
In context, as far as who was paying for it and how it would be memorialized, makes perfect sense.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,161 times
Ah, well it all makes sense now. And that is ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego