Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM

9 posts, read 12,728 times

Advertisements

Currently I am looking to install a concrete driveway and was wondering if there are any specific additions one can do as part of the driveway installation. I realize the concrete guys will prep, and pour the concrete and take care of the driveway essentials.

My question is more about if there are some simple things one can do so that the concrete does not have to be ripped out to install something in the future.. Thanks for your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Some people use decorative bricks instead of laying down concrete.

Disadvantage is that it will probably cost much more.

A neighbor of mine used bricks and his driveway looks very nice.

You could also install a pipe or two under your driveway before laying down the concrete.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
You could also install a pipe or two under your driveway before laying down the concrete.
That is an interesting suggestion. Can you please elaborate on the type of pipes that can be installed under concrete? If you can also suggest some potential uses that will be helpful. Cheers.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:04 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageh View Post
That is an interesting suggestion. Can you please elaborate on the type of pipes that can be installed under concrete? If you can also suggest some potential uses that will be helpful. Cheers.
I'm no expert at this, but have seen people who have had pipes under their driveway.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:17 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
People run PVC pipes under the driveway as a way to pass future things like garden hoses, sprinkler systems, electrical cords, etc. It can also be other material but it makes sense to do it. If you pour the concrete in sections it is easier to replace busted or pitched sections in the future but it will be hard to match dyed concrete.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People run PVC pipes under the driveway as a way to pass future things like garden hoses, sprinkler systems, electrical cords, etc. It can also be other material but it makes sense to do it. If you pour the concrete in sections it is easier to replace busted or pitched sections in the future but it will be hard to match dyed concrete.
That is exactly what we did. We bought a new home in San Diego that had a 3 car garage meaning a wide driveway. I laid PVC pipe under the driveway in 3 places before the concrete was poured. We used it mainly to connect our sprinkler system when we later installed it.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and use scenarios. I will definitely utilize this option.

JohnSocal, could you provide some details about your driveway installation? Did you use rebar/mesh as the formation? how thick was the cement pour? Any details help.

I received a few quotes and the prices are all over the range. Learning about the process before jumping on the project.

Cheers.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sageh View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and use scenarios. I will definitely utilize this option.

JohnSocal, could you provide some details about your driveway installation? Did you use rebar/mesh as the formation? how thick was the cement pour? Any details help.

I received a few quotes and the prices are all over the range. Learning about the process before jumping on the project.

Cheers.
I didn't actually install the driveway. The builder did that. I just laid the pipe before it was poured. We did do a lot of concrete work afterward including patios and a full sized basketball half court. We had it all done by Bob Brewer Concrete who did the job properly with rebar, mesh, etc. and was reasonably priced. Bob was a very honest person He lived in Anza, CA but did a lot of work in the San Diego area and other areas of Southern California. I believe he has retired and his son in law now runs the business out of Murrieta. I definitely trust them to do the job properly at a reasonable price.

I also highly recommend Robert's Construction in Murrieta CA which did a lot of concrete work at our present home. He did sidewalks, pool decking, 55' X 20' patio for us. I am sure he also does driveways. I got to know the owner Ken Roberts pretty well as he was personally very involved in all aspects of the work. He is very honest and does an exceptional job and is reasonable. I believe that they also do work in the San Diego area. Here is the link to their site.

http://rcmurrieta.com/Home_Page.html

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 12-20-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 PM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times

Tuscany Pavers San Diego, Installers of Driveway, Patio, Pool Deck and Walkway Pavers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego