Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,506 times

Advertisements

If Poway is too boring, with less amenities, where in that area (San Diego) would be similar to Walnut Creek?

Thanks,

The OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 02:47 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Walnut Creek offers much more than Poway overall it in terms of amenities. Poway is very quiet and suburban. WC has a pretty big downtown with way more shopping, restaurants, NIGHTLIFE (does that exist in Poway?), and cultural amenities. I think WC would be much better for someone single and in their 40's than Poway.

Even if schools mattered pretty sure they aren't any better than Walnut Creek at all.
Not really. Other than a few sports bars and pubs and annual events like the rodeo, night life is pretty much non existent here.

Used to have a club called Dad's, but that closed not long after the Van Damm murder, which gave it attention.

We mostly go into town or elsewhere for nightlife.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
If Poway is too boring, with less amenities, where in that area (San Diego) would be similar to Walnut Creek?

Thanks,

The OP
Kind of a tough question to answer but I suppose maybe Carlsbad or possibly Encinitas. Although their downtown's aren't as big but they both have plenty of retail and restaurants overall. I hear Carlsbad Village has decent nightlife although I never personally experienced it.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:38 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,678 times
Really the decision here comes down to whether you want to live in the San Francisco area or the San Diego area. Both Poway and Walnut Creek are suburbs. I have a relative in Walnut Creek and would compare it more to an inland LaJolla in terms of the downtown itself. Poway is classic strip mall suburbia. Both are inland which means warmer summers and colder winters. Winters are rainier in Walnut Creek (doesn't bother me personally but does bother some). Walnut Creek is definitely not as laid back as Poway, probably owing to the fact that San Fran is not as laid back as San Diego. There is definitely more of an urban yuppie vibe in Walnut Creek.

If you didn't like WC or Poway, you could always live elsewhere in the area and commute to work. Again, you really need to decide which of the two major cities you want to be near and which part of this beautiful state you'd rather be in--there is a difference. It would be a tough choice. Both San Fran and San Diego are great cities. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM

Are there any areas closer to downtown that would have enough space for two large dogs?

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
This is interesting. When I first moved to San Diego, I expected Poway to be a lot like Walnut Creek. In reality, I think the demographics/income are similar but overall they are nothing alike.

Walnut Creek has a cute walkable downtown with lots of restaurants, bars and shopping. Poway is pretty much strip malls, cookie cutter houses or older homes with large lots. There is little in the way of walkability in Poway if that is important to you. Walnut Creek also has the BART(Bay Area Rapid Transit System) that comes right into downtown allowing easy access to Oakland, San Francisco and the airport. Except for limited bus service there is little public transportation in Poway and public transportation is looked down upon. I'd say they are both about the same distance from their respective city centers (San Francisco and San Diego) and both would offer a variety of interesting hiking. Weather is great in both places, with Walnut Creek having more of a four season climate. Walnut Creek has very early springs, late falls and a gorgeous sunny, dry summer. Winter would be a bit rainier with Poway definitely getting the edge for winter weather. If skiing is important, Walnut Creek is closer to world class skiing at Tahoe. The closest "real" mountain to Poway is Mammoth which is a good seven hour drive.

I think tax structure would be the same as they are both California - high income taxes. I really don't think there is too much of a COL difference between the two, my hunch is Walnut Creek is getting lumped in with general Bay Area costs compared with general San Diego costs which are higher.

Good luck
+1. I absolutely agree with this. I had a good friend/client from Walnut Creek and I'd go out and visit him and sfosyd is spot on target.

Walnut Creek had a huge run up in the bubble. I remember my friend sold his house at the top of the bubble for a great amount. Values plummeted but they probably have recovered a good bit. I'm not sure what the real estate market is like now there but I remember he was so relieved he sold at the top of the market.

Walnut Creek is a nice area. But I agree the decision comes down more if you want to live close to SF or SD.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM

686 posts, read 1,138,092 times
The main job centers in the Bay Area are the Peninsula, San Francisco and the south bay. Not that you would have to worry, but Walnut Creek is a brutal commute to any of these which is why I think values plummeted. Poway held its value well because the commute is not so bad to any of the SD job centers. Even though, Walnut Creek is technically part of a more expensive metro area, this is why I ascertain housing is about the same.

What do you define as space for enough two dogs? California definitions of space can vary from other regions? Also, will you buy or rent?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
I have the option of relocating to either the Poway or Walnut Creek office of my current employer.

Walnut Creek seems to have higher housing costs, but what about COL other than that? Utilities? Tax structure the same? What is the general vibe in each city? What about the climate?

I am an early forties divorcee, no kids. Could care less about School systems or commuting issues as I would work from home a lot.

What do you see as the pros and cons of each area?
Walnut Creek is part of the inland East Bay, which is cheaper than other parts of the Bay Area (SF, San Jose, & the Peninsula)...I don't absolutely know this, but I still suspect the general COL in Walnut Creek would be at least a little bit higher than Poway.

Walnut Creek is chilly and somewhat rainy (not every day) in the winter and warm to hot in summer (Typical January high/low 55/39. For July 87/60). Poway would probably be the better climate if you like warm weather...probably mid 60s in Jan with chilly nights and high 80s to low 90s in summer.

Walnut Creek is pretty suburban but it does have a small downtown and it also has a BART train for convenient access to San Francisco, Oakland, & Berkeley.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 01-09-2013 at 02:43 PM..

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
San Diego is my favorite city in the USA, so if it was me I would choose Poway or one of the surrounding areas hands-down. However, in your situation, based on what you have articulated thus far, Walnut Creek may be the best fit for you. The easy BART access would give you a myriad of interesting places to visit without having to drive everywhere. Adequately accommodating your two dogs will be the primary challenge wherever you decide to go.

Wish I was in your situation with this decision to make!

Old 01-10-2013, 01:16 PM

Yes, accommodating the dogs would be the primary problem. Someone asked whether I would buy or rent...I will buy....I long ago stopped trying to find rentals with 2 large dogs. I would be relocating from the NYC suburbs, so the costs actually look cheap to me. I notice Ramona has larger lots...is that area the same climate wise as Poway? Don't see anything like that in Contra Costa county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego