Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to the east Chula Vista area and am interested in Bonita and Eastlake. Can anyone provide an opinion on these two places?

Last edited by nmguy; 01-13-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
I live in Bonita. So I will try to lay it out without bias, but they are two different areas.

Eastlake is families and exclusively new construction (past 10 years). Mello Roos tax everywhere. Eastlake has shopping, dining, and big box retail stores. Not too many unique restaurants, lots of chains, but there are some popping up here and there, especially around Otay Ranch. Eastlake has amenities, parks, movies, mall...etc. It really is set up for family life. It is always busy in Eastlake. Real estate prices have hit rock bottom there but stabilized, in fact they have ticked up the past year...slightly. Eastlake has traffic. It does have the 125 run right through it now, but that is a toll and still expensive in my opinion. Your option for a commute is to drive out to the 805.

Bonita is older construction and is an unincorporated part of the county of SD. Not very much Mello Roos. It is not part of the City of Chula Vista as many think. Bonita has families but a lot are older, empty nest, and retirees. Half of Bonita is rural and has horse property. There are run down areas in Bonita, not really bad areas, just run down and ignored as far as maintenance, old ranches and horse boarding mostly. Bonita is quiet and everything closes early. You will have to go to Eastlake for walmart and target and other big box visits. No shopping in Bonita proper. There is the Plaza Bonita Mall but that is in National City. Bonita has original and independent restaurants. Really good ones in my opinion. Bonita construction varies and is unique, from farm houses, spanish, stucco, to straight up gangster mansions. Not a lot of traffic in Bonita and quick access to the 54.

OK here is the bias....

I'm an older guy, so I like the peace and quiet of Bonita and there are two golf course here which I love. Lots of open space and views but I often find myself in Eastlake for shopping, home depot, and visiting friends. I have a big house with a big lot that has a great view, that I couldn't find in Eastlake...to much cookie cutter for me. If I had a young family, I would consider Eastlake, it is very nice, clean, and friendly people.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Eho42, Thanks for your informative post. I'm 68 years old and retired. Currently, I live in Placitas, NM, which is a semi-rural area. I grew up in Chula Vista in the 60s and used to ride my bike in Bonita and enjoyed the bucolic feel of the area.

I'm looking for a quiet place to live with reasonable access to local grocery stores and restaurants and a relatively easy drive to San Diego on occasion.

Thanks again for he helpful info.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,824,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Eho42, Thanks for your informative post. I'm 68 years old and retired. Currently, I live in Placitas, NM, which is a semi-rural area. I grew up in Chula Vista in the 60s and used to ride my bike in Bonita and enjoyed the bucolic feel of the area.

I'm looking for a quiet place to live with reasonable access to local grocery stores and restaurants and a relatively easy drive to San Diego on occasion.

nmguy, I would agree with everything echo42 stated. I would like to state however, that even though Eastlake and Otay Ranch have much of the shopping choices, it's far from giving you that bustling metropolis feel. It is a very laid back suburban area.

It is quite lovely with plenty of walking paths, a lot of trees (as does Bonita - a lot of trees), quite a few parks, very good schools, golf course and more and more independent type eateries. But for the most part, in the shopping areas, it is predominately chains. There is also a Sprouts and Trader Joe's in Eastlake; and a pretty decent Farmers' Market on Tuesdays at the Otay Ranch Town Center.

You wouldn't go wrong in either place, I'm in Otay Ranch; it's very new but I like Bonita a lot and would consider it since we want a little more land to our home and Otay Ranch does not offer that possibility.

Good Luck!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post

Well, I would say it is quite different here now. I grew up in San Diego in 70s and early 80s and it is really different now. Bigger, faster, ...etc. Some say progress and growth, I say bloated and strained at times. But pound for pound, still one of the nicest places to live in the US. And the one thing you can't change is the weather...still glorious. The same old favorites as well, beach, bay, park, open space and mountains.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Well, I would say it is quite different here now. And the one thing you can't change is the weather...still glorious. The same old favorites as well, beach, bay, park, open space and mountains.
echo42, Did you say beach and bay? This is what our back courtyard looks like in January.

Last edited by nmguy; 01-14-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 01:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
We have taken the bike trails around Rohr Park and always love driving through there either going to the mall or heading into Otay Ranch/Eastlake. Cant think of too many areas like it around the county that are so close to the ocean and older/not HOA...maybe Del Mar Heights around Crest Canyon park.
Mature, natural landscape and established community vibe.

IMHO really underrated area to live in the county

Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM

200 posts, read 354,034 times
A really informative thread.

Last edited by possum_magic; 01-14-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: word substitution

Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum_magic View Post
A really informative thread.
I agree and am grateful to the contributors.
Paul

Old 01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
I lived in both Eastlake and Bonita. Personally much preferred Bonita.
Had a half acre lot in Bonita vs 10k sqft lot in Eastlake. Way more privacy than Eastlake.
Small kids might be better off in Eastlake due to more parks etc.
Anecdotally, my house in Bonita was burglarized 3 different times. Probably because of the distance between homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego