Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:43 PM

32 posts, read 69,099 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I meant Oceanside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 09:47 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
With all of those animals, you'll have to live in a rural area.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Ramona has all the box stores and other stuff you would need and zoning/your price shouldn't be a problem. Poway is just a hop and a skip from there too.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica456 View Post
Why won't 10,000 get me far for to long? I will have a job and income right away once I move. I admit, I am not familer with the cost of living there other then the housing I am seeing online
Have you researched automobile expenses like insurance, registration, etc.? Way higher than Texas.

Have you also factored into your expenses that when you will need to get homeowners insurance for a mortgage, most companies will reject you because of the dogs being considered a dangerous breed and you will have to pay extra?

Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage | Einhorn Insurance

Old 01-30-2013, 12:57 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
if she will have a steady stream of income right away on top of her 10k i don't see why money would be a problem. her biggest problem is going to be finding housing with all the animals.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
if she will have a steady stream of income right away on top of her 10k i don't see why money would be a problem. her biggest problem is going to be finding housing with all the animals.
I think the point some of us is trying to make is to look at her specific situation. Realistically she won't be able to rent a place. ANY move across the country is difficult enough but imagine trying to coordinate and plan a move with 11 pets. Then add in the stress of having to buy a place with all these pets.

I'm sure she will have to come out a few times to see where exactly she will want to live. What she is trying to accomplish isn't so easy.

GMUAlum, you're in a different situation as you said you can live free with parents. But imagine having to move out here with only $10,000 and trying to find a place to move with 11 pets. At the same time trying to find a place to buy with only $220,000.

$10k isn't much savings for trying to accomplish all of these things. I guess everything is relative but I sure don't consider $10,000 "a good amount in savings" with the situation she is in being forced to buy a place.

Heck, one of my best friend adopted 2 cats (2 brothers that he didn't want to have separated). In 8 months he has had over $2,000 in expenses and vet bills as one of them got sick. I can't imagine dealing with 11 pets.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Have you researched automobile expenses like insurance, registration, etc.? Way higher than Texas.

Have you also factored into your expenses that when you will need to get homeowners insurance for a mortgage, most companies will reject you because of the dogs being considered a dangerous breed and you will have to pay extra?

Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage | Einhorn Insurance
Great point on car registrations! Great example: our Ford Raptor truck cost us $36.00 in Texas to register. Here, it was over $500.00! The rest of our cars were all on the $350.00 to $ 400.00 range. Whereas, in Texas, I was able to register them ALL for less than $200.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Great point on car registrations! Great example: our Ford Raptor truck cost us $36.00 in Texas to register. Here, it was over $500.00! The rest of our cars were all on the $350.00 to $ 400.00 range. Whereas, in Texas, I was able to register them ALL for less than $200.

Yeah, all kinds of taxes and fees here in California. We pay over $1,000 a year in these registrations on our 2 cars.

But in this case, I don't even think that is a concern compared to the 11 pets.

I've never had 11 pets before. How much would that even cost in food? Anyone else have 11 pets that can answer?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
I surely don't have 11 pets, but I do have one very large Golden...Bought him a bag of quality dog food yesterday, @ $55.00 for a 40lb bag. This will last him about 1 month, and he is not a big eater. Vet bill for him the other day for a yearly checkup, Rattlesnake vac was over $200. That included a heartworm test and fecal. Normal run of the mill stuff. Cats are just as expensive. A good quality bag of food runs about $40 as well. Have no idea how far that would go with 11, but I guessing not long at all. My 3 go through a bag a month. Kitten food is even more expensive. Then there are all the vacinations kittens require. I imagine she could forgo all the vacinations, and buy cheap food, but only the kittens suffer then. My guys are all indoor, so I do not have to get them vaccinations, but vet bills can run pretty high if even one gets sick.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
If you have a job right away and you can find a place to live -- that's going to be your biggest challenge -- while you look for a place, you should be able to swing it with $10K.

Are you looking to sell a place in DFW and then buy one here? If so, what kind of equity will you be netting? Are you saying that you don't want to borrow more than $200-250K? And if so, then what kind of cash on hand will you be able to bring to the table.

I'll be honest. I have no clue what the real estate market is like for places where 11 animals is feasible. But if it's anything like the market is for places downtown, you need to be able to pull the trigger fast. As in you see the place, decide you're cool with it, and then have an offer the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego