Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 09:39 AM

242 posts, read 184,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post

All that being said, Encinitas has great schools as does their next door and somewhat pricier neighbor, Carlsbad. The San Diego coast is riddled with small beach towns, from funky Leucadia to upscale Del Mar. Generally speaking, the closer to the ocean, the pricier the real estate. However, the further south of the city of San Diego (closer to the Mexican Border), that is less a factor (and I don't like the beaches as much). If you opt to live Inland, I'd strongly suggest you select a place close to one of the few east-west highway's/freeways.

Good luck on your move.
Just wanted to mention that Carlsbad tends to be somewhat less expensive than Encinitas, hence the reason many families choose that area. Schools are still good there.

And yes, good luck on your move, and keep us updated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 02:34 PM

17 posts, read 30,404 times
Default move from VT

Can a family of 4 survive in SD on a$100,000 income?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:36 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paranto View Post
Survive is one thing. Getting the best schools, a large home and good location is another.

What age your kids? Where would your job be?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:39 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paranto View Post

Just about all you could want to know can be found on these links having to do with cost of living for a family of 4. Required reading.

//www.city-data.com/blogs/blog3...st-living.html

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM

109 posts, read 163,863 times
Default Welcome

California is home of the transplant so you will fit right in. Depending on what you make there are a lot of options. Estimate around $2000/mo for rent for a decent place 2/2 1000 sq.ft and parking. If you are smart live by the beach. the weather is better, its by the beach and the best restaurants, bars, etc are by the beach too. OB sound like a good spot for you. There are lost of small rentals that take dogs. Very dog friendly with dog beach and a dog park. A lot of hippies and homeless but they are harmless and if you lived in NY than you will be fine. South of Newport Ave is best this is where the bars are all at. North is a lot of college kids/bikers and an overall party enviroment. PB North is good too and so is crown point. Point is why rent inland when you can be close to the water. You can walk everywhere. Downtown is pretty cool too but a little to hectic for my taste. Coronado is awesome but it is pricey. Super clean beaches, shops restaurants, and no riff raft.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Survive is one thing. Getting the best schools, a large home and good location is another.

What age your kids? Where would your job be?
And that really is the question, isn't it?

The easy answer is yes, a family of four can survive in San Diego. The median household income is around $60K, and the median household has three and change people in it. So yes, people are surviving on less.

But surviving may mean giving up things you want. I would say that you need to compile a list of must haves, would like to haves, and things you can give up. See how much the must haves will cost you. You personally would not be happy without those things. Will you make enough?

Then add in the would like to haves. How are you looking now?

If your income can get you those things, you'll be fine. And you will have found yourself a nice source of things you can cut back on to save money.

Everyone's list will be different. As an example, some people like to drive a new car every five to seven years. Me, I like to drive them until they drop. So some people would not be happy with a 98 Mustang GT like I have, and they'd have replaced it two times by now. They need to factor in the cost of that car. I don't have to, because as long as the car is running and looks good, it's fine.

There's no right or wrong. It's all personal preference.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 PM

47 posts, read 83,651 times
Default Property Tax

What will happen when jerry brown finds a way to get rid of Prop 13??? Which is what they have been working on for a while....

Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And that really is the question, isn't it?

The easy answer is yes, a family of four can survive in San Diego. The median household income is around $60K, and the median household has three and change people in it. So yes, people are surviving on less.
San Diego's vast number of fixed income retirees, enlisted military and deeply entrenched underclass skew this number drastically downwards.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshb2 View Post
What will happen when jerry brown finds a way to get rid of Prop 13??? Which is what they have been working on for a while....
Possible utter meltdown of the Real Estate Market...

Prop 13 has been the law of the Land for 35 years... the voters supported it and the courts have not ruled against it.

Jerry Brown was Governor 35 years ago... I don't think he wants to tangle with voters again...

Old 02-20-2013, 12:09 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego's vast number of fixed income retirees, enlisted military and deeply entrenched underclass skew this number drastically downwards.
Absolutely true and this skewed number will have almost nothing in common with these types of people Sassberto mentioned from new families moving to San Diego with kids. It's a drastically different picture for those of us that have kids that move to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Possible utter meltdown of the Real Estate Market...

Prop 13 has been the law of the Land for 35 years... the voters supported it and the courts have not ruled against it.

Jerry Brown was Governor 35 years ago... I don't think he wants to tangle with voters again...

Yeah, I doubt they will ever get rid of Prop 13. Too many voters are for it and I don't see them repealing it. It's one of the things I LOVE about California with all their whacky high taxes. It's one thing that really makes owning a property here great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego