Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 4,443 times

Advertisements

Hello!
We are a family who started their lives in San Diego in an apartment in UTC 2 years ago. Wife works at UCSD and will continue to do so, Husband works in Santee for now. Rent has gone up, but pay has not. Lease is up and family is expanding, with eldest child starting Kindergarten next year.

Wife is excited to find a unit on the border of North and South Park, that seems to be lacking only in parking space (1 space, 3 cars), as all local schools are on the IB track and everyone is that much closer to city/urban living (culture, arts, etc). Grandmother also lives with us and is very picky about not living near transients and those of alternative lifestyles, though enjoys the urban feel of UTC.

Can anyone offer some awesome pros about the area and neighborhood that might help us in winning Grandma over? We need her for the childcare aspect and can't move without her....

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,134,438 times
If you have three cars an don't want to live near transients, you'll have a definite problem living in the city. Parking is scarce for one car, let alone three. More than likely, parking will only be on the street, and current residents won't be happy about three more cars moving in.

As for the transients, they're everywhere, some areas have more than others, though.

If you have an actual address already, you can check the San Diego Unified School District / Welcome website for the school of residence for your kindergartner.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:51 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,328,366 times
Regarding grandmas concern about "alternative lifestyles".... That area is so well represented, she may bust a gut.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:45 PM

4,525 posts, read 12,338,387 times
Selling points: More and more families are moving into the area, so it's not devoid of children in the way it used to be. There is great access to neighborhood stores and restaurants, and Balboa Park. The architecture is charming.

However, Grandma is skittish and for the reasons you gave she's going to have issues. Parking is tight. Two cars might be doable, but three? Finally, it is not particularly well situated for commuting to your jobs.

I'm usually trying to sell people on the idea of moving to North Park/South Park, but in this case, I don't see this working out well for your family dynamics.

And I don't consider UTC to be an urban lifestyle. It's just auto-dependence on steroids.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,149 times
Three cars in North Park is a prescription for disaster. I don't know much about South Park so I won't speak of that, but it's likely going to be difficult there, too.

In any urban environment, you are going to find weirdos and homeless people. You'll find less of them in North Park than in the East Village or the Gaslamp, but they will be there. But then, they're by million dollar condos like the Mark or Legend, too.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:26 PM

100 posts, read 426,441 times
if you think UTC is urban, then north park/south park might feel like a ghetto to you. although, to people from the dense eastern cities, parts of north park and south park (morley field comes to mind) can even seem very suburban, but not in the way UTC is.

south park is a way better choice for you than north park. for one, it's less crowded, has more families, has less bars/nightlife that attract people that will irritate grandma. and very importantly, south park has two canyon systems that run through the neighborhood. this creates a lot of streets that are in little pockets that you'd never end up on without intending to be there, so there's more parking, no traffic, transients etc. transients may camp out in some of the canyons at night though.

i live in university heights, which has a similar geography. i live east of park blvd, which is an uninterrupted grid, lots of apartments, there's plenty of people around that would offend the sensibilities of the elderly, and very little street parking. when you head west of park or north of adams, you run into the edge of the mesa, and it's almost all nice single family housing with ample street parking, pretty much no foot traffic that isn't locals walking the dog, basketball hoops hanging over the street, and generally a much quieter, suburban vibe.

honestly, it sounds like you might want to consider east county, especially since one of you works there already? if you can't afford the nicer parts of SD proper, and would like to live the three car lifestyle without running into undesirables or driving endlessly around the block, that's probably the best bet.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 88,621 times
I agree with mdm1 here. I've lived all over the San Diego area. Coronado, University heights bordering North Park, Talmadge (great little nook in SD BTW, clean and on a canyon that no one really travels to, though there are the morning trash pickers >.>), La Mesa boarding City Heights, and La Mesa bordering El Cajon. (What can I say I get restless.) Honestly, if you want grandma happy, steer clear of north park, hillcrest, south park, university heights, and city heights is the worst. My hunny grew up there and people don't even bother calling the police beause, regaurdless if they are block away they may never come. A good rule of thumb though is two blocks north or south of El Cajon and University Ave respectively. And nothing in between. If you do, I know from experience that hobos urinating on your car or apartment is frequent, theft and drugs are on a real high, eh hem, so to speak. Good area for a young person perhaps, it's pretty trendy. If your man works in Santee try La Mesa near their little down town area, they have apartments in the mountain with great views and low prices, and I've yet to see a hobo pick my trash.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,234,402 times
I agree with the others here.

Considering G-ma has different needs to yours, budget (saving money), schools etc, your best bet would be a city or unincorporated part of East County.
La Mesa Village offers some good value and is on the border of SD City. If not, I think its worth taking a look at as the village is very walkable with restaurants, shops etc and quick access to the 8, 67 and 125.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,561,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnotn2u View Post
Hello!
We are a family who started their lives in San Diego in an apartment in UTC 2 years ago. Wife works at UCSD and will continue to do so, Husband works in Santee for now. Rent has gone up, but pay has not. Lease is up and family is expanding, with eldest child starting Kindergarten next year.

Wife is excited to find a unit on the border of North and South Park, that seems to be lacking only in parking space (1 space, 3 cars), as all local schools are on the IB track and everyone is that much closer to city/urban living (culture, arts, etc). Grandmother also lives with us and is very picky about not living near transients and those of alternative lifestyles, though enjoys the urban feel of UTC.

Can anyone offer some awesome pros about the area and neighborhood that might help us in winning Grandma over? We need her for the childcare aspect and can't move without her....

Thanks in advance!
Lots of gay people in North and South Park for an example of one kind of alternative lifestyle if you want to call it that. Not sure if that is what she means, but people often think of gays as having an alternative lifestyle as thought they don't just clean house, walk the dog, go to work, save for retirement etc like lots of other people.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:22 AM

102 posts, read 235,574 times
I third La Mesa but if you're still dead set on the city I would suggest considering Kensington very close to the areas you mentioned wanting to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego