Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 11:38 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

Is is worth it to add this to one's tenant's / renter's insurance policy in SD ?

Last edited by bloom; 10-05-2007 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 02:08 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Why would anyone need quake insurance? If a big one hits there will be plenty of free gov'mint money handed out. Just make sure we get some women on TV crying and the money will flow like tears from Tammy Faye's mascara blighted eyes.

Seriously, I don't have it, as a "Big One" is very unlikely here in San Diego. As for the lesser-sized quakes the deductibles on the insurance are so huge, moderate quakes would never reach the threshold of damage that would result in a payout.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:10 PM

76 posts, read 215,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Why would anyone need quake insurance? If a big one hits there will be plenty of free gov'mint money handed out. Just make sure we get some women on TV crying and the money will flow like tears from Tammy Faye's mascara blighted eyes.

Seriously, I don't have it, as a "Big One" is very unlikely here in San Diego. As for the lesser-sized quakes the deductibles on the insurance are so huge, moderate quakes would never reach the threshold of damage that would result in a payout.
That is so naive.

A "big one" is very likely in San Diego, it sits on several large faults, and money is not freely handed out by the government after quakes. After the Northridge quake, my mom got $20,000 loan -- it cost her $100,000 to fix the house.

Yes -- GET earthquake insurance.

After extensive research, I went with this company. You will have to see if they cover renters, and what areas in San Diego they cover, however.

Pacific Select
(stand-alone earthquake policies)
1-800-774-1012
www.pacificselect.com (broken link)

After our last quake, The San Simeon Quake, they called us, to see if we needed to file a claim. Fortunately, we lost little enough that we didn't need them. Myself and my family having been in several large quakes, (there's a difference between being in one, and just feeling one) I hope we never do.

Good luck, and I hope you never have to use it.

Caat

Old 10-08-2007, 03:37 PM

27 posts, read 72,369 times
not worth it especially on a renters policy

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
I didn't know you could get quake insurance anymore. When I tried to quake insurance (renter's policy), it was just after Northridge and no one was offering it.

We do not have quake insurance on our HO policy. My understanding is that the premiums & deductibles are so high that they are not worth it when compared to the probability of a big quake in SD. I honestly don't know anyone in our neighborhood with earthquake insurance and none of our close friends have it either.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:52 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I didn't know you could get quake insurance anymore. When I tried to quake insurance (renter's policy), it was just after Northridge and no one was offering it.

We do not have quake insurance on our HO policy. My understanding is that the premiums & deductibles are so high that they are not worth it when compared to the probability of a big quake in SD. I honestly don't know anyone in our neighborhood with earthquake insurance and none of our close friends have it either.
When I looked at it they wanted $1000/mo for the premium!

Old 10-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Sass - I was kind of dismayed that we didn't have earthquake insurance until my husband and the other neighborhood husbands informed us "nervous" wives what the premiums were. Too rich for us!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:07 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
When I looked at Earthquake insurance the premium was about the same as fire insurance but the deductible was 50k. That was over a decade ago. I'm sure that by now, the deductible would be be at least 75k. A payout would require an earthquake of the size that San Diego just doesn't seem to get.

Anyone know the last time San Diego had a 6.5 or greater earthquake? LA gets them every 10-20 years. San Diego? Probably hasn't had one like that in a century or more. Not while I've been living here, and the news has never had any retrospectives about the "Big One" of 1917 or whenever.

And Sampaquita, welcome back. Haven't seen you posting in the SD forum for quite some time.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Hi, Kettlepot - thanks for the welcome back! Lots going on in our neck-of-the-woods. We're preparing for the arrival of TWINS in late March/early! LOL - we weren't expecting 2 at once. I'm not sleeping very well & DH keeps telling me to get used to it. (nice)

Have you seen the progress on 54th & El Cajon? Looks like the only tenants so far are still H&R Block.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:13 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Hi, Kettlepot - thanks for the welcome back! Lots going on in our neck-of-the-woods. We're preparing for the arrival of TWINS in late March/early! LOL - we weren't expecting 2 at once. I'm not sleeping very well & DH keeps telling me to get used to it. (nice)

Have you seen the progress on 54th & El Cajon? Looks like the only tenants so far are still H&R Block.
It looks like they are almost done. Planting is finally going in on the medians too, those should look nice when they are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego