U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,712,459 times

Advertisements

Which is worse? I am looking at a property in Banker's Hill, and it's right in the flight path. No two ways about it. However, given the fact that they are landing, not taking off, and the engines are powering down, I think most of the noise will be from the aircraft itself, not the engines. Unless the pilot's really crappy and is mashing the throttles back and forth as he oscillates the plane above and below the glide path. =)

Now, that's one thing, but then we have Doucheskank noise, which I have gotten used to. I get the woo woos starting at about 10PM on a Friday or Saturday night, and then there is the post closing racket. And then there are the idiots honking their horns when nobody can move.

I'd love to hear from people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,040 times
I live in the outskirts of Loma Portal / Point Loma Heights.

The Jet Noise can be loud at times. Take offs are only supposed to happen between 6:30 am and 11:30 pm.

Occasionally there will be take off's after that time and the airlines are supposed to be fined.

Also sometimes missed approaches happen after that time, or during bad weather planes will land over Point Loma.

For the most part though it's quiet after 11:30 and I usually get up between 6:30 and 7:00 during the week so it doesn't bother me.

In Banker's Hill you have to deal with the planes landing at all hours and deal with the Reverse Thrust of the engines.

Also hopefully you have double paned windows that helps. I also keep a fan on for white noise at night too.

(For me at least the Jet Noise is consistent and it's not some drunken Douche/skanks fighting screaming at all hours on a work night)

For me I'd rather take the Jet Noise.

Here is a useful website from the Airport Authority where you track flights coming in / out.

On each individual flight you are supposed to be able to track the Noise DB levels at various noise monitoring stations through out the City as well as track the Noise DB from the flight in relation to your location.

WebTrak: San Diego International Airport

Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 AM

1,584 posts, read 810,805 times
Tony,

For resale purposes, I'd pick doucheskank. They might not be obvious to a buyer and you could disclose in a way that wouldn't be a red flag. I learned the hard way that many buyers hate freeways, schools, shopping centers, power lines, excessive stairs, steep lots and on and on. The neighbor probably wouldn't even be noticed.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,056,035 times
I think that is true regarding resale (airplane vs. douche noise) But I personally hate doucheskank worse. I had some of that living downtown. For some reason annoying human voices keep me awake more than planes. I also hate thumping music.

Now we have airplane noise where we live. And I have to say it is a non issue. Keep in mind flights can Land anytime of the night....the regulations are on departing flights. So in Bankers Hill you might get a few planes coming in the middle of the night.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM

6,247 posts, read 10,292,758 times
If you haven't grown up with either of these noises, I'd skip them both. You'll be miserable living there.

I grew up in the shadow of Midway Airport when it was the busiest in the world. So I easily "tune out" airplane noise. But I spent a few years in Pomona, in a house right next to I-57. I could absolutely not sleep unless I closed the windows, even when it was in the high 90's overnight. Just can't tolerate that freeway noise. Nor could I ever be happy living next to the beach with the constant wave noise. It would drive me buggy!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:50 AM

4,630 posts, read 9,365,208 times
Tony, we lived not too far from where you are (4th and J) and faced 4th Ave for 6 years. So I hear you on the noise, but if you can avoid all together, do it. Because guess what? Lindbergh isnt moving any time soon and the crowds wont be either. 10pm-3am Fri and Sat after a couple of years starts getting old.
But its not just the people woo-wooing or screaming, it was the cars and motorcycles echoing in the corridor (for us) were loud and we would have window and doors closed at night anyway with the air on. That could be an option, but based on why you moved here from past posts, then you lose what you moved here for, which is the great weather having to close all windows just to get some sleep? Whats the point of that?

Word of advice. If you found two condos that have these two issues, there is likely a good reason they havent been snapped up yet. Is that what you are settling to buy or is this the reality of what is availble?
I think the compromise is like a robbing Peter to pay Paul tradeoff. I totally agree with Cabound1 as well.

I say pass and keep looking if you can afford the time and arent rushed. I would love to hear how long it has taken some people to find the right place for them within the past couple of years, let alone now.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,712,459 times
This is the reality of what is available. There are listings in Sandicor that go up, have a new tag, and come down the same day. I'm not screwing around with Trulia anymore. They show properties that have -- and this is insane -- 10 backup offers.

If you are not ready to pull the trigger fast, you will not get a place. Over, done, forget it. And I hate to think about what it's like for someone who has to sell their house before they can buy one there. I'd say they should stop wasting their time.

We've got an offer in at a place in Mission Hills and it is moving relatively slowly for these days. They are waiting a whole week to take offers and they will take the best one.

I'll check out the airplane noise this weekend. I'll ride my bike up there, and hang out there when a lot of planes are coming in. If it's not too bad outside, then I'll move forward. It may not be something I have to deal with -- my offer may get accepted -- but if it's not, I want a backup.

Oh, and BTW, the thrust reversers, if they use them, can only be deployed when the aircraft is on the ground. That will not be an issue in Banker's Hill because the planes aren't actually landing there, they are just flying overhead. There's actually a squat switch that only allows them to be activated when the plane is on the ground. And that's for a good reason. Imagine if you popped your car into reverse on the freeway. Now imagine an airplane doing that in mid air.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM

8,496 posts, read 27,480,264 times
My little brother lived directly under the flight path in Banker's hill and it was really loud and pretty much terrible. It hurts the property values in the area a lot iMO

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 9,365,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
This is the reality of what is available. There are listings in Sandicor that go up, have a new tag, and come down the same day. I'm not screwing around with Trulia anymore. They show properties that have -- and this is insane -- 10 backup offers.

If you are not ready to pull the trigger fast, you will not get a place. Over, done, forget it. And I hate to think about what it's like for someone who has to sell their house before they can buy one there. I'd say they should stop wasting their time.

We've got an offer in at a place in Mission Hills and it is moving relatively slowly for these days. They are waiting a whole week to take offers and they will take the best one.

I'll check out the airplane noise this weekend. I'll ride my bike up there, and hang out there when a lot of planes are coming in. If it's not too bad outside, then I'll move forward. It may not be something I have to deal with -- my offer may get accepted -- but if it's not, I want a backup.

Oh, and BTW, the thrust reversers, if they use them, can only be deployed when the aircraft is on the ground. That will not be an issue in Banker's Hill because the planes aren't actually landing there, they are just flying overhead. There's actually a squat switch that only allows them to be activated when the plane is on the ground. And that's for a good reason. Imagine if you popped your car into reverse on the freeway. Now imagine an airplane doing that in mid air.
Those websites are ok, but if you want up to the minute updates, just bookmark this page or other zip code and just hit refresh A LOT and look for new listings as they pop up. As soon as you see one, tell your agent and fire off an email to him to go check it out and possibly have contracts ready. Because its likely you will get to it before he/she does as well as any others.

We did it this way at the end of 2010 and the house wasnt even listed for more than 3 hours before we drove down, met the owners and sent an offer within the hour of seeing it. And this is in Lemon Grove a couple of years ago, I could only imagine what its like downtown in that price range.
SDLookup.com | Downtown Real Estate Market Changes

Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM

4,485 posts, read 8,593,679 times
Yikes. I'd say both options stink.

Yep Shmoov. We did things like that as well. You're the one that turned me on to SDLookup and I appreciate it. I found some things some websites are better for but other sites were better for other things. We used Redfin quite a bit as well and even Zillow seemed to have more information with some things like past sales records. We used the SD Property Tax website as well to see info and if owner's were late paying taxes or when they paid - https://www.sdctreastax.com/ebpp3/(g...3a)/start.aspx and of course we really used Google quite a bit with looking for info as well. Amazing what kind of stuff you find online.

Although, one thing I'll say about SDLookup is occasionally we'd get emails from the realtor that owns that website asking if we're still in the market for a property or another property. I had to finally ask they remove my email. (I never like getting unsolicited emails/phone calls from realtors that I don't reach out to).

Definitely I think you have to utilize the power of the internet when buying today. I do think realtors have their purpose as well. But we found the house ourselves. Really researched the comps and even did in-depth searches on all the neighbors in areas we were considering, how long they lived there, what they paid for their houses, etc.

I negotiated our realtor to rebate back part of her commission at the closing and it was nice getting a $10,000 check a few days after the closing from the Escrow company, further reducing our cost basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego