Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times

Advertisements

Yes, I figured it would be about a year wait. Wow, I didn't realize HUD housing was THAT affordable. That sounds like the best bet for the OP. HUD goes on your income, and the buildings are for seniors and disabled. Since the OP's income is $1,100 per month, the rent would be higher.

sundreamer, maybe stick around in San Miguel while you apply if you're not willing to live in Tijuana. There is probably no guarantee you'd even get HUD housing but it's probably going to be next to impossible without getting something like that. This is a better idea.

I just can't see anyone surviving comfortably in San Diego paying the higher rents and only netting $1,100 per month. This is true!

But since the OP wants to live by the beach, there will be a definite problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 09:55 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,436,516 times
I've considered the possibility of living in Mexico, but I considered part of the appeal would be the opportunity to save money. The formula to figure out what you should be able to afford in rent is $1100 x 25% (since you won't be paying income tax) divide that by 1/3=$458. The fact that you have no savings shows regardless of how frugal you are, you can't realistically spend more than this on rent.

Being homeless with a car would be miserable. Being homeless without a car would be hell. You will be very vulenerable with no savings and no family or friends. To me, this is a recipe for disaster. Those roommate scenarios do not come without risk. You can be held responsible for damage done by others and be stuck having to pay utility bills. People in this income bracket will either be young, and want roommates like themselves, or very possibly be very unmotivated and doing things you might not want to live with--think scary drug habits. That's why even if it isn't appealing to live with other seniors that are on a fixed budget, you'd (hopefully) at least be in a decent environment.

If you moved to TJ and saved a few hundred dollars per month, and then moved to the beach area in TJ, you'd have a little cushion.

Or you could just be realistic and accept that you'll need your rent to be subsidized. If you volunteer you'll likely find yourself a spot sooner than most.

SD county is not the only warm place in CA. What about some of the desert communities where you could swim everyday?

Last edited by Litlove71; 01-30-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 AM

BTW--Applying for subsidized housing is (almost always) going to have residency requirements. The restrictions can even require you to already live in the city, or certainly the county. It would be easier to move to somewhere like Palm Desert, get Section 8, and then transfer it. Even HI would be doable then (excluding Oahu.)

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
BTW--Applying for subsidized housing is (almost always) going to have residency requirements. The restrictions can even require you to already live in the city, or certainly the county. It would be easier to move to somewhere like Palm Desert, get Section 8, and then transfer it.
This sounds like really solid and important advice.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... people always make the mistake of trying to imagine the best case scenarios instead of the worst case scenarios.

Even in the best case scenarios, I can't see things going too well on this small budget. Worst case scenarios I could see the OP ending up homeless, just like many people in this same situation.

I think in life sometimes you can't or shouldn't always do what you want but what is realistically possible or intelligent.

Also, it's NEVER too late to start saving and trying to build up some savings. It's a shame there is no savings or retirement account to fall back in in the mid 60's but that isn't an excuse to just live somewhere where you will just scrape by and spend the entire monthly income. It's never too late to save up for the future and live below your means until you get a comfortable safety net of savings built up.

Last edited by earlyretirement; 01-30-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM

35 posts, read 50,216 times
Appreciation spread all around, here!

BTW, what does "OP" mean?

Y'all have pointed out the incredible challenges I would face living in the SD area and offered some reasonable alternatives like living in Palm Desert while applying for Section 8, or south of the border while saving money.

I'd like to thank everyone for their point of view. I have a number of months to figure things out and I'm taking your advice seriously.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundreamer66 View Post
Appreciation spread all around, here!

BTW, what does "OP" mean?

Y'all have pointed out the incredible challenges I would face living in the SD area and offered some reasonable alternatives like living in Palm Desert while applying for Section 8, or south of the border while saving money.

I'd like to thank everyone for their point of view. I have a number of months to figure things out and I'm taking your advice seriously.

Good Luck sundreamer66! Hopefully, you can work something out.
By the way, OP means Original Poster

Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Good Luck sundreamer66! Hopefully, you can work something out.
By the way, OP means Original Poster
+1
Good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,383,345 times
Good luck sundreamer. I hope you take the spirit of the advice in a positive way. No disrespect in any way was intended. Please do keep us posted how things go. Best.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
If you volunteer you'll likely find yourself a spot sooner than most.

Volunteering doesn't make a difference on where your name is on the waiting for subsidize housing. There are strict rules that have to be gone by, and playing "favorites" isn't one of them.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
If you volunteer you'll likely find yourself a spot sooner than most.

Volunteering doesn't make a difference on where your name is on the waiting for subsidize housing. There are strict rules that have to be gone by, and playing "favorites" isn't one of them.
There's not supposed to be, but it happens. There are always exceptions and ways to work the system, without doing anything illegal. Those that become homeless are generally given priority, and it's not hard to imagine the OP ending up in just such a situation unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego