Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,687,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
There's spending wisely, and then there is spending just to spend.

Yes, the Padres could have spent another $20 million and that could have gotten them a big name free agent.

For one year. But the big name free agents want severl years and they can't do that.

Anaheim can carry Josh hamilton if he gets hurt and they have to carry his salary. The Padres cannot.
This poster Tony is why the perception of San Diego fans is one that is soft and apathetic. Your response is one of resignation and bending over. You sound like you expect them to remain irrelevant on a shoestring budget for years to come.

Look. I understand you are at a disadvantage in the So Cal Market. Your market does not extend north of Escondido into Orange or Riverside Counties. Your only fanbase outside of SD County is the armpit of Imperial County. The land of Mexicali Migrants making the nations produce on the cheap. Regardless, grow a set and demand change with your wallets and boycott. I've had a soft spot for the Padres myself since the late 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
Nobody can come in here and spend more than the market will support. Not if they want to own the team for very long.

When someone inks a TV contract that is three times, four times, five times or even more than what you ink, you cannot compete on payroll.

Period.

The owners of the Padres did not get rich enough to afford the team by being stupid. What so many unrealistic people want is for them to be stupid and to spend way more than they bring in.

Demand change with my wallet? Guess what? It doesn't really change my life if the Padres win or lose. I go to the ballpark, enjoy myself for a few hours, and go home. It's better when they win, but if they lose, whatever.

Maybe that means I'm not a true fan in your book. So be it. It's foolish for me to let a child's game affect my mood.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:18 PM

195 posts, read 207,748 times
Why are the Padres a "small market team" if San Diego is the eighth largest U.S. city?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,964,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vespa View Post
Why are the Padres a "small market team" if San Diego is the eighth largest U.S. city?
This is a common misconception -- that because San Diego is the eighth largest city, it's a big media market. And media market is what matters. It's all about how many eyeballs advertisers can reach. Advertisers were willing to pay $4 million for a 30 second spot in the Super Bowl because they reached over 100 million people.

If you take a look at the San Diego media market according to Nielsen, it's the 28th largest.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Ma...DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Now, you might say, but there are MLB teams in places with smaller DMAs than San Diego. And you'd be right.

But San Diego is uniquely constrained. Teams like the Reds draw regionally. They've got radio stations in Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville, for example.

San Diego's draw to the east is desert. To the south it's Mexico. To the west is ocean. And to the north, it ends at Orange County. So the Padres don't get to add to their market through a regional draw.

We live in a small media market, and since media revenue makes up the biggest source of income for a sports team, the team is going to be constrained.

You want the Padres to be able to compete with teams like the Yankee$ and Dodger$ and Angel$ for big name free agents?

Then get a salary cap in place. Without one, it ain't happening.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:46 AM

195 posts, read 207,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
This is a common misconception -- that because San Diego is the eighth largest city, it's a big media market. And media market is what matters. It's all about how many eyeballs advertisers can reach. Advertisers were willing to pay $4 million for a 30 second spot in the Super Bowl because they reached over 100 million people.

If you take a look at the San Diego media market according to Nielsen, it's the 28th largest.

http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Ma...DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Now, you might say, but there are MLB teams in places with smaller DMAs than San Diego. And you'd be right.

But San Diego is uniquely constrained. Teams like the Reds draw regionally. They've got radio stations in Columbus, Indianapolis, and Louisville, for example.

San Diego's draw to the east is desert. To the south it's Mexico. To the west is ocean. And to the north, it ends at Orange County. So the Padres don't get to add to their market through a regional draw.

We live in a small media market, and since media revenue makes up the biggest source of income for a sports team, the team is going to be constrained.

You want the Padres to be able to compete with teams like the Yankee$ and Dodger$ and Angel$ for big name free agents?

Then get a salary cap in place. Without one, it ain't happening.
Good answer, Tony. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:25 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
Padres management answers questions about the video

Change the Padres: Keeping Ownership Honest - YouTube

I just don't believe these guys.
Lie after lie after lie ***smh****

Old 03-01-2013, 04:42 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,730,217 times
They know their promises are being remembered by fans. We'll see.

There should be yet another video coming out soon. Props to David Marver.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:50 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,811,495 times
Yes, I remember it well. We did get sucked into building that stadium, although it has helped downtown.y. But, IMO, the money would have been better spent on the Chargers stadium.

firstly, so many people who live in SD come from other areas of the country and don't have any allegience to the Padres whatsoever, nor do they want to. Alot of old people that enjoyed watching the Padres on TV got that taken away from them.

The Padres will always just be thought of as a fun day at the park with the family, and never have the competitiveness to contend for the division, no less a World Series. It's entertainment, not sports. If you're not going to go for the big prize, then it just exists for family fun once or twice a year. IMO, of course.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM

54 posts, read 99,292 times
Not sure how a Chargers stadium would have been money better spent. Even if you assume that a Padres and Chargers stadium would have led to an equal amount of East Village development (which is a huge assumption), at the very least, you can say that Petco Park provides an influx of 20-30K people 81 times a year. A Chargers stadium would lead to 8 uses a year which wouldn't provide nearly the level of economic stimulation into downtown.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,979,063 times
I gotta be honest. These guys look like mafioso.

Rapid fans, disgusting politics around TV rights, awful decisions and lip service.

By location I am a SF Giants fan and not the best one. When they were losing I suggested selling Cain who turned out to be a stud in 2010 and 2012. Good pitching beats good hitting and the Giants are the exciting team to beat.

The Padres fans deserve better! These guys have absolutely no baseball sense just paddling water in the deep south of California.

My DNB told me to have the Padres as my 2nd fave team. OK. I'm down.....

To bad about Bochy. Look at what he did north. Amazing.

UT article coming up on the Padres $$. That should be amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego