Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

yes, I am referring to the 'Inner City', sorry to not be clear on that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 63,710 times
I'm flying into San Diego the 24th and staying until the 28th. I'm planning on relocating there within the next couple years and this trip is supposed to my initial info gathering trip. Not to sound inconsiderate, since I know people are losing their homes and whatnot, but will these wildfires affect me in any way if I'm staying downtown and going to places like the zoo and Sea World? I'm not really familiar with the impact of wildfires having lived in the northeast my entire life so any info would help. Thanks and best wishes to everyone being affected.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:08 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npknucks32 View Post
I'm flying into San Diego the 24th and staying until the 28th. I'm planning on relocating there within the next couple years and this trip is supposed to my initial info gathering trip. Not to sound inconsiderate, since I know people are losing their homes and whatnot, but will these wildfires affect me in any way if I'm staying downtown and going to places like the zoo and Sea World? I'm not really familiar with the impact of wildfires having lived in the northeast my entire life so any info would help. Thanks and best wishes to everyone being affected.
My guess is the fires will actively continue for another 48-72 hours. Most tourist activities will probably not be closed, but I would imagine attendance will be limited. I would not be surprised if either Sea World or the Zoo ends up closing for a day or two. The city itself is not directly affected but right now the air is very bad, it smells like an ashtray. Personally I'm basically staying inside today ... there is too much soot in the air to be outside.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 63,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
My guess is the fires will actively continue for another 48-72 hours. Most tourist activities will probably not be closed, but I would imagine attendance will be limited. I would not be surprised if either Sea World or the Zoo ends up closing for a day or two. The city itself is not directly affected but right now the air is very bad, it smells like an ashtray. Personally I'm basically staying inside today ... there is too much soot in the air to be outside.
Thanks for the quick response. In the event that the Zoo and Sea World close would there be too much soot in the air within the next week to walk around downtown San Diego safely? I'm from North Jersey so I'm used to less than ideal air quality but is the air downtown going to be unsafe? Thanks again.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Once the fires are put down, the air downtown will be clear within a day because of the constant onshore and offshore air flow. Also the largest fire is at least 10-15 miles north of downtown, and winds blow East to West to East. Because of that downtown is mostly clear now, and will be fine very shortly after the end of the fire. Even now, downtown is probably better smelling than the parts of New Jersey where all the refineries are.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:36 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Well I work at Sea World and I am trying to get information for this week.This can get ugly.If it gets into this Del Mar,N.County Coast it can go up and down thee 5.Not good.This is another reason why I hope to leave next year.Nevada or Colorado,here I come.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:13 PM

288 posts, read 919,362 times
I live downtown, and the air is relatively clear. There's a faint smoke smell, and the news is reporting that people should stay inside and run the AC to avoid inhaling micro particulate matter from the smoke.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 PM

101 posts, read 329,782 times
I just heard that some kids tried to get out of school by setting a fire close to San Ysidro High School. Now my area is threatened. I may be evacuating soon.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
We're watching the news in LA County. There are fires EVERYWHERE! A bunch of places in San Diego county, Arrowhead Lake, Saugus, Malibu, near Devore somewhere... This is going to make it tough to get enough firefighters and support equipment to put them all out! What a mess!

If they tell you to go -- GO!

Old 10-22-2007, 05:47 PM

253 posts, read 1,107,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
We're watching the news in LA County. There are fires EVERYWHERE! A bunch of places in San Diego county, Arrowhead Lake, Saugus, Malibu, near Devore somewhere... This is going to make it tough to get enough firefighters and support equipment to put them all out! What a mess!

If they tell you to go -- GO!
I was just going to email you. I'm glad to see you are safe Please take care of yourself. You have to be my shopping tourguide!

I've been lurking on the Cali boards for awhile now & iI just want to wish all of you Cali residents luck & saftey! This is a horrible situationTake care of yourselves & your families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego