Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakbird View Post
Excuse me if this question is dumb or racist sounding. I grew up in Temecula which is really safe. I just moved to East Village, San Diego and I found a great produce market at National & Cesar E. Chavez and I want to make trips there for groceries. I was telling coworkers about it and a black coworker told me I would "stick out like a sore thumb" and that I shouldn't go down there because it's "gang-ridden". I have to admit I feel weird being the only white guy in a neighborhood or grocery store and I worry about what other people think of me being there. I wouldn't be going there at night or anything. I'm scared enough to leave my studio complex here in East Village at night. I should probably also add that I'm 20 years old and gay.

But I really love this produce market and their salsa. Should I stay out of the barrio?
Don't listen to your co-worker, you will be fine in Barrio Logan during the day. Have you been to the new Farmer's/Public market yet? It's nothing but white people! LOL

And even if you were rollerblading with sparklers in your hands while wearing a tubetop and leggings, the gay thing is a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:29 PM

19 posts, read 64,103 times
My suggestion is no. No way. If you do...get out before it gets dark. It is not safe and do not listen to anyone who says it is. Btw...I am 6'ft tall, weigh 210 pounds, and do Crossfit. I would not feel comfortable or safe.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill23 View Post
My suggestion is no. No way. If you do...get out before it gets dark. It is not safe and do not listen to anyone who says it is. Btw...I am 6'ft tall, weigh 210 pounds, and do Crossfit. I would not feel comfortable or safe.
I'm female, 5'6", and 135 pounds, and I have no issues with Barrio Logan.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:33 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Don't listen to your co-worker, you will be fine in Barrio Logan during the day. Have you been to the new Farmer's/Public market yet? It's nothing but white people! LOL

And even if you were rollerblading with sparklers in your hands while wearing a tubetop and leggings, the gay thing is a non-issue.
Dude, that was Terry... Didn't know he made it down to SD.

A Tribute to Terry - YouTube

Old 05-20-2014, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,043 times
Default Barrio Logan

The way you talk, the questions you ask, you mentioned Temecula twice and that you're gay which could easily be something they won't know but if you mentioned it I take it that it's something obvious about you... I can tell you would really stand out, don't know how to act around gang members

I spent some weekends there and grew up in these kinds of neighborhoods and was in a gang for a while. One thing is you can never say for sure what will happen. Every hood is unpredictable because people are all different. If one kid feels like showing off or thinks you'd be easy to mess with or doesn't like you it can turn into something. I been shot at in a neighborhood that was less tough in broad daylight just for walking up on something. Also my girl almost got raped in broad daylight in Barrio Logan. She's a model with a tiny waist and F cups but still, if you think there isn't anyone in that neighborhood that would do that to you 5'6" 135 Jen... my girl thought she was safe, too and she had friends there. Everyone says they haven't had any problems until one day they have a problem. There's human trafficking in that gang. They have ties to the Mexican Mafia. I have family in that Mafia, it's not joke. Go there if you want but know if a van pulls up and takes you there will be no escape, witnesses or news coverage.

And every guy I know if he is in the barrio long enough ends up in a fight. Maybe not so much after you're old but you sound young still. I know you're gonna go so don't act weak/scared but don't act hard, drive up, get your salsa and drive home. I eat at a Cambodian place in Long Beach. I know it's gang territory so I don't act like I'm in Temecula when I'm there.

"If you ain't ever been to the ghetto don't ever come to the ghetto cuz you wouldn't understand the ghetto stay the f*ck out of the ghetto" - Naughty by Nature same's true of Barrios. But you can go to that farmer's market jaja

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyramirez View Post
The way you talk, the questions you ask, you mentioned Temecula twice and that you're gay which could easily be something they won't know but if you mentioned it I take it that it's something obvious about you... I can tell you would really stand out, don't know how to act around gang members

I spent some weekends there and grew up in these kinds of neighborhoods and was in a gang for a while. One thing is you can never say for sure what will happen. Every hood is unpredictable because people are all different. If one kid feels like showing off or thinks you'd be easy to mess with or doesn't like you it can turn into something. I been shot at in a neighborhood that was less tough in broad daylight just for walking up on something. Also my girl almost got raped in broad daylight in Barrio Logan. She's a model with a tiny waist and F cups but still, if you think there isn't anyone in that neighborhood that would do that to you 5'6" 135 Jen... my girl thought she was safe, too and she had friends there. Everyone says they haven't had any problems until one day they have a problem. There's human trafficking in that gang. They have ties to the Mexican Mafia. I have family in that Mafia, it's not joke. Go there if you want but know if a van pulls up and takes you there will be no escape, witnesses or news coverage.

And every guy I know if he is in the barrio long enough ends up in a fight. Maybe not so much after you're old but you sound young still. I know you're gonna go so don't act weak/scared but don't act hard, drive up, get your salsa and drive home. I eat at a Cambodian place in Long Beach. I know it's gang territory so I don't act like I'm in Temecula when I'm there.

"If you ain't ever been to the ghetto don't ever come to the ghetto cuz you wouldn't understand the ghetto stay the f*ck out of the ghetto" - Naughty by Nature same's true of Barrios. But you can go to that farmer's market jaja

I think a lot of people are just dumb. And it's a reason, sad to say, why a lot of people do have bad things happen to them. When you walk around the same no matter where you are and think nothing will ever happen to you, it probably will at some point. I mean yeah I spent time down in Colombia and stood out like a sore thumb, but nothing ever happened to me, so it must be safe. That's dumb logic.

It's like anywhere really. Some areas are worse than others and obviously if you look like somebody who isn't from the area and you act aloof and out of touch with reality, something might happen. There was this girl I knew where I grew up on the East coast who never locked her house doors, never locked her car doors and said nobody would ever steal or break into her old beat up car. We were both around 19 at that time and she was ok with it and I thought she was crazy. But nothing ever happened to her for a long time. Nobody ever broke into her car. Nobody ever stole anything out of it.

So a couple years later, when we were like 21, she contacted me out of the blue crying and sad and pissed and everything in between. Somebody opened her car door. She was devastated as they stole all her cassette tapes, stereo system, her CDs, and back then CDs were one of those things many people didn't even have, they tore up her back seat with a knife, and so on. They left her car but stole anything that was worth anything in it.

So yeah nothing might ever happen anywhere, but people need to use common sense no matter where they go. If it's an area where it's kind of obvious that you aren't from there, it's stupid to think you can just go along like it's the same as anywhere else. Common sense goes a long way in life.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Excuse me if this question is dumb or racist sounding. I grew up in Temecula which is really safe. I just moved to East Village, San Diego and I found a great produce market at National & Cesar E. Chavez and I want to make trips there for groceries. I was telling coworkers about it and a black coworker told me I would "stick out like a sore thumb" and that I shouldn't go down there because it's "gang-ridden". I have to admit I feel weird being the only white guy in a neighborhood or grocery store and I worry about what other people think of me being there. I wouldn't be going there at night or anything. I'm scared enough to leave my studio complex here in East Village at night. I should probably also add that I'm 20 years old and gay.

But I really love this produce market and their salsa. Should I stay out of the barrio?
It's fine. Here's a hint, just bacause people in a neighborhood aren't all white doesn't mean it isn't safe. Admitably I have only been down there during the daylight hours but I have never found it to not be safe. I am going to guess you don't shop at 2am so it should be safe for you too. Hell, the public market, where you are going, is filled mostly with white yuppies from the burbs anyway. Who do you think is buying organic humus and heirloom tomatoes?

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 05-21-2014 at 12:46 AM..

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Did I mention I grew up in Temecula?

lol, but thanks. Hopefully my coworker was just teasing me.
It's in your head. No, there are not hoards of dark skinned people waiting to attack white people. Seriously, I say that as a white guy who has traveled all over this country and dozens of others. The secret to not becoming a victim is to not being an idiot. That means, don't look like an easy target, don't be drunk and flashing cash, don't be drunk and showing everyone your Rolex, trust your instincts so if it feels unsafe take extra precautions like going in a group with friends. Don't engage in illegal activities like soliciting drugs or soliciting prostitutes, stay in well let areas, pay attention to what the people around you are doing and pay attention to if anyone is following you.

Even criminals want an easy target so be a hard target and they'll move along looking for easier prey. This has nothing to do with Barrio Logan, which is actually a very safe location, and instead is a general life skill. If these rules can serve me well every where from the slums of Latin America, to slums in the middle east, to back alleys in east Asia, to post communist hell holes in Eastern Europe as well as run down places in the EU and the US then it can serve you too. Don't look like a victim, don't act like an idiot, and use common sense and you'll be fine. People are the same the world over.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:37 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
I went there to take pictures of the murals one day and there happened to be a bunch of cholos showing off their cars. I asked permission to take pictures of the cars without issues. We even chatted for a while.

The thing I like about mexican hoods is they treat you at face value. If you handle yourself well they respect you and leave you alone. Some other ethnic hoods don't let you off that easy.

Being gay shouldn't matter as long as you aren't flamboyant. Obviously you can be anything you want but being too outwardly gay in the hood could backfire on you.

Go early dress down and know where you are going. If you are still uncomfortable listen to your instincts and don't go.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I've spent time in barrio logan during the day and had no issue what so ever. I've been in the commercial area and also residential streets for work.are you talking about the new Northgate market? Northgate does have great salsa!
They have a nice marinated meat counter too. Perfect for BBQs and much cheaper than Vons, Albertsons, or Ralphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego