Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,543 times

Advertisements

Sad situation. I happened to be working in North County that day. It had a weird/disturbing vibe for me before this even happened ( my job involves some field/investigative work and I had a VERY weird encounter in Carlsbad. One much more scary than the mean streets of Cleveland). Naturally i got caught in the snarl of traffic and road closures. Im so sorry this happened, but the closer I got to San Diego and my peaceful home, the more settled I felt. the disturbia that exists in the suburbs has always freaked me out (including the time I was raised in them....got the heck out ASAP post HS graduation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,974,193 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I do not believe there is any way we will be able to figure out what triggers these mass shootings.

There are just too few of them.

Science is not good at analyzing the outliers. And we should be very happy that these incidents are outliers.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
IGosh, back in the 90's Leucadia was called the Meth Capital of California.
Who called it that? Link please.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I have read that Orange County, specifically Riverside, was the meth capital of the US.

Encinitas? Come on.

PBS did a special on meth trafficking and production in the areas around Riverside. Much has changed since the '90's.

They cited San Diego County as having the highest consumption of cold medication in the nation... consumption meaning pseudophedrine was being extracted from medication purchased via retail.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
I have read that Orange County, specifically Riverside, was the meth capital of the US.

Encinitas? Come on.

PBS did a special on meth trafficking and production in the areas around Riverside. Much has changed since the '90's.

They cited San Diego County as having the highest consumption of cold medication in the nation... consumption meaning pseudophedrine was being extracted from medication purchased via retail.
Riverside is not Orange County. Riverside is, interestingly enough, in Riverside County. But yes, the Inland Empire as it's called is the epicenter of meth. Not my hometown. I've never heard anyone say that Encinitas is the meth capital, which is why I questioned the poster here. I'm not saying there's not meth here, because I'm sure there is. But capital? Hardly.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Riverside is not Orange County. Riverside is, interestingly enough, in Riverside County. But yes, the Inland Empire as it's called is the epicenter of meth. Not my hometown. I've never heard anyone say that Encinitas is the meth capital, which is why I questioned the poster here. I'm not saying there's not meth here, because I'm sure there is. But capital? Hardly.
Sorry, wasn't thinking. Yes, meant Riverside County.

I don't think there is a meth capital in the US right now. That is, there is no longer a center region (in the US) where it is produced and shipped like there was in the '90's.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:01 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Dont know about Leucadia specifically, but SD County on the whole throughout the 80s and 90s apparently was the unofficial Meth Capital of the World.
This is a top 10 list that I am sure we are glad to be off of.

the rEgion: SANDAG's Electronic Newsletter

San Diego's meth problem touches all of us | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 02-22-2013, 10:39 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times
I agree with a previous comment about having gone to elementary school when I did...in Minnesota in the late 60's. The one "bad apple/bully" at the school could be dealt with easily. Take two steps toward him after one of his bully attempts and he would simply run away...and I was not physically imposing by any means in those days or even today. It gave us a laugh, anyways.

In high school in the late 70's in California (family moved in 1972) there was the kid that would occasionally ask if you wanted to "buy some grass, man",when walking home from school, but he had no weapon/no violent tendencies...just trying to act cool and I simply said "No" and he walked away.

You could not do that nowadays. We live in times where it can happen at a mall, school, post office, park, restaurant...you name it.

The mentally disabled and those with drug addiction histories should never be able to get guns. I don't care what the NRA says. Those school children in Newtown have ZERO rights. They are not alive to enjoy them.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post

Encinitas? Come on.

Spokane, we are the Meth kings......full of doped out zombies.

Violence is everywhere.....but the area in question(Encinitas) is generally safe.....like most of California!

Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Spokane, we are the Meth kings......full of doped out zombies.

Violence is everywhere.....but the area in question(Encinitas) is generally safe.....like most of California!
I'm surprised to hear that Spokane would be the meth kings. There are many counties throughout the US that have been affected by meth.

Back in the '90's, though, the major meth hub was going from and through Riverside County. Changes in laws and enforcement shifted that over the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego