Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 04:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times

Advertisements

I need a place from 3/1-6/1 that's furnished for the most part (could bring an air mattress, bedding, stuff the kitchen, but that's about it). I already looked into Extended Living places and Corporate housing but it's way out of my budget.

Just trying to see if anyone knows of a place (motel, hotel, guesthouse, etc) that would be for the most part furnished under $1000 a month with all utilities included. Already checked out Craigslist and college newspapers.

I really do not want to have to rent a room from someone but will probably end up doing that due to my budget.

I'm open to most areas and will be working in Lemon Grave. I'm very familiar with San Diego as I lived there a few years ago in La Mesa and loved it. Ideally I would want to be in Point Loma or Ocean Beach but given my budget I am very open!!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:42 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Have you thought about going with VRBO for that budget and contacting some owners? It is not the summer, so you might be able to get a better monthly rate that fits your budget, for a place in La Mesa perhaps? I am not so certain Pt Loma would work for that budget.

Otherwise as far as furnished, I dont really know of any other resources that could help besides the usual suspects like craigslist.

The good thing is that if you lived west of Lemon Grove (Grave), it would largely be a reverse commute with little to no traffic on the 94 except maybe going home and having to connect with the 5 and 8 westbound.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:25 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
VRBO is mostly more expensive stuff. Also try www.airbnb.com. I'm not sure how big they are in San Diego but growing tremendously world wide. GREAT system.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
VRBO is mostly more expensive stuff. Also try www.airbnb.com. I'm not sure how big they are in San Diego but growing tremendously world wide. GREAT system.
ah yeah, for 1k/mo that might be tight.

earlyretirement, do you have any opinions on homeaway.com?

Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,382,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
ah yeah, for 1k/mo that might be tight.

earlyretirement, do you have any opinions on homeaway.com?

Yeah, I agree that $1k a month is tight. But the thing is with short-term furnished rentals..if it's last minute and an owner still has it empty they are more willing to discount it. My philosophy is a rental night is much like life. Once it goes by you can NEVER get it back. So I'd rather discount if it's last minute and I think more owners of short-term furnished rentals probably have the same philosophy.

I don't usually discount my properties if it's far in advance but if someone emails me and one of my properties is still available and it's only in a few days I'm more likely to take it. As far as I'm concerned it's "found money". So Naomi, even if there are listings that are a bit more...better to try to email the owners to see. If they are empty last minute they might deal with you.

Yes, I know HomeAway quite well. Some of my buddies work at Google Ventures which owns part of HomeAway. They made a capital investment in HomeAway a few years ago.

I own several properties and have been working with both VRBO and Homeaway for many years. Homeaway actually owns VRBO. Many of the same properties on HomeAway are actually on VRBO as well. HomeAway's strategy has actually been really intelligent. What they have done over the years is they have gone out and bought all of their competitors. And once they did they, they drastically raised prices each and every year! When I started listing my properties over a decade ago, I was paying something like $250 a year to advertise on VRBO. Now it's more like $750 to $1,000 depending on the package I choose.

And in some cities where I own properties, you actually have to go with a Platinum package if you really want any exposure on top. So I'm paying as much as $1,000 a year on Homeaway per property. Same as on VRBO. It's gotten quite expensive to advertise with them but they have the best results.

VRBO is by far the most popular vacation rental website and been around for a long time. Homeaway is also good. Another newcomer is Vacation Rentals ? Beach Houses, Cabins, Condos, Cottages, Vacation Homes & Villas | FlipKey which is owned by TripAdvisor. All of these sites are safe to book on but typically it will be expensive. The properties are higher end than sites like www.airbnb.com

But Airbnb has gotten so popular that now most owners are starting to advertise there as well. The best thing about AirBnb as a tenant is you are totally protected. No bait and switch because they don't even pay the owners until 24 hours AFTER check-in. So if you show up and it's not the same property, you just let AirBnb know right away and they won't pay the owner. You can also always pay with credit card on AirBnb which is always recommended. The same can't be said on VRBO or Homeaway as many owners don't take credit cards.

Paying with a credit card will always protect you. But again, with AirBnb if the apartment is a scam, you only need to call AirBnb at the check-in and you're protected and can leave. Typically however VRBO and Homeaway are totally "what you see is what you get". My family and I have been renting properties off of VRBO/HomeAway for many years. We travel a tremendous amount around the world each year and all the properties we've booked have been really wonderful.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,215 times
We rent our place under market value in clevleland.tenent is a single, pet less, physician, female...need I go on? It's worth it not have to worry about her trashing the place.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,987,854 times
Thanks guys. Yeah I figured I wouldn't be able to find a place like that. Moving this weekend and my options are pretty limited so it looks like I will just be doing a roommate thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego