Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:44 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,681,724 times

Advertisements

As I sit here in tears in Texas watching my beautiful home town burn from 1300 miles away...it makes me feel good to see how well the city has responded to this disaster. So happy to see see how everyone is being taken care of there. God Bless you all and I hope this is over soon!! My thoughts are with you ALL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 09:20 PM

31 posts, read 201,845 times
Default Great job San Diego

I second that! I'm up here in LA county but am so impressed by what I am seeing and hearing about the San Diego response. That's just an amazing number of displaced people and it sounds like the city and just plain folks are doing a tremendous job handling this unprecedented situation. Apparently many people are showing up on their own initiative to donate food, pet supplies, tents,cots, hygiene things, sleeping bags, toys,diapers, everything that might possibly make the situation more bearable for the evacuees. Good job! Californians sometimes get a bad rap for behavior but sure looks like we are rising to the occasion this time.Folks are getting along in the shelters too, heck even the animals are getting along and did not have to left behind like in Katrina. Personally I'm not in any hurry for FEMA to arrive and screw things up.Sue

Old 10-23-2007, 09:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,819 times
Yeah I agree.SD is doing an "A" grade job.But we can still do better.Lots of people not wanting to leave homes where area properties are on fire creating a hazard for firefighters,and personal who have to leave the fire to rescue IDIOTS!!!Same with the whole looting and identity theft thing.SD is one of the top 10 cities in the US in ID theft.When bringing important documents to your car,either lock them up as you go back to your house or take them last.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:23 AM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
It's nice hearing San Diego getting alot of praise. In my opinion, this restores the city's image of America's Finest City.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:00 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Great job, I agree!!! It makes me proud to be a Californian!!!
My thoughts and prayers are with all you guys!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,720 times
No doubt Katrina was not handled in any way that can be called exemplary.

I was mortified and ashamed of the suffering endured before the different branches of government (local, state & fed) finally got their acts together (although it's debatable that they EVER got their acts together at all).

What really surprised me was the shock of fellow Americans that poverty to the level we saw in NO even existed. How can anyone live in such a vacuum as to not realize that kind of poverty exists in our own country? (but that's another topic)

But San Diego/California has done an excellent job so far dealing with the evacuees and setting up relief. Would it be any different if disaster had hit Barrio Logan or City Heights? I don't know but I would hope that the same outpouring of support would have been been displayed as well.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:34 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I have to say, I think Arnold is doing a good job too. He was very quick to swing into action and he's been on the scene everyday. I think he's been very good at crisis management.

I didn't vote for him originally but I've been impressed at how willing he's been to offend both the right and left while he's been in office. Now I see this as a good skill because you know, in your heart, he's trying to do what's best for California. Fug the politics. (And Bush will be here tomorrow to take all the credit. )

Quote:
But San Diego/California has done an excellent job so far dealing with the evacuees and setting up relief. Would it be any different if disaster had hit Barrio Logan or City Heights? I don't know but I would hope that the same outpouring of support would have been been displayed as well.
No, the response would have been the same. Californians have always been quick to help each other in an emergency.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM

I agree - Arnold is doing a fine job. He's in Jamul this evening.

I met him when I was a senior in college while working a temp job at NBC Sports in NYC. He was waiting for Maria Shriver who had a meeting with one of the NBC execs. He stopped to talk to me & when he found out I was an international studies major, he sat there in reception and talked foreign affairs & politics with me for the next 45 minutes! My opinion of him changed that day - this wasn't just some dumby body builder. He KNEW what he was talking about, had really informed opinions/ideas and gave me a few things to include in my senior thesis. I also found that he had compassionate ideas about people.

I went on to another career leaving foreign affairs/politics behind me but Arnold moving into the political arena was not at all a surprise after that exchange.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Hehe! For some reason, that doesn't surprise me about Arnold.

Since he really can't go any further in politics and he really doesn't need the money, I think he's doing his job just because he wants to and he CAN! I think he is truly concerned about California and it probably makes it easier for him to make some decisions.

I heard something on Monday but I can't quite remember how it was said exactly... He talked to Bush and said "We need action, not dialogue! We've already had enough dialogue!" That made me laugh! After all, he's an Action hero, not a movie star well known for talking roles!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM

Indeed...he's right!

I also caught that he mentioned the ill-effects of global warming on these fires. He's a smart cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego