Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2013, 11:47 PM

43 posts, read 67,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Like I said He plays country hardball. He took a pitch to the chin and a well placed pitch at that. He has been pushing big buttons since he was elected. Let's see his play now. I am on his side. He is a human being and I really don't care for the PC drones who feel that human attraction is a negative. Don't flame me, that is the way nature built us.
So your daughter, mother, sister was slapped on the ass and told to bring some coffee your good with that?

You don't need to be flamed. You flame yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 11:49 PM

43 posts, read 67,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
I heard this as well. I think if anyone supports him, it might be political suicide.

Filner is poison now. I also think he is nuts and will claw onto power until it is pried from him. We gotta recall this one.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:47 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,761,226 times
I like my Mayors straight, Lib and strong minded. He'll do.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:36 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Like I said He plays country hardball. He took a pitch to the chin and a well placed pitch at that. He has been pushing big buttons since he was elected. Let's see his play now. I am on his side. He is a human being and I really don't care for the PC drones who feel that human attraction is a negative. Don't flame me, that is the way nature built us.
You can't legislate people's feelings, but you sure as hell can legislate their actions. His alleged (and now acknowledged) actions were illegal. As much as I would like to - because he's a welcomed punch in the face for politics as usual - I can't find any way to excuse his behavior in this respect.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:41 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
You can't legislate people's feelings, but you sure as hell can legislate their actions. His alleged (and now acknowledged) actions were illegal. As much as I would like to - because he's a welcomed punch in the face for politics as usual - I can't find any way to excuse his behavior in this respect.
Exactly. Before this latest incident, I would have even given him a second chance and would have still wanted to see him serve out his term in office.

But no way I'd want to see him stay in office now. Like I mentioned earlier in my thread, people become desensitized sometimes to horrible behavior and this is a good case of it, IMHO.

I don't know any rational person that would want to see their mother, sister, daughter, significant other at work and constantly sexually harassed. Yet it seems in this situation people are willing to look the other way when it seems like there is a clear and long history of this. See this to me isn't rational at all.

Also, the guy is 70. It's not that easy for people to change their ways at that age. I'd assume the guy has been like this his whole life. Is he really going to change his ways after 70 years?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
Also, the guy is 70. It's not that easy for people to change their ways at that age. I'd assume the guy has been like this his whole life. Is he really going to change his ways after 70 years?
Certainly the most comedic element of this whole thing...

The reality is that if you are bull-headed and aggressive in business (or politics) you are going to make enemies... that style can be very effective or it can fail miserably. Being a change agent requires a significant support base or you risk alienating all the people necessary to make the change occur. As someone who is a mellowing type-a aggressive competitor, I have been bitten many times by being too aggressive, too fast.

His miscalculation was thinking he could apply the same rules as congress to the mayor's office... SD is still in many ways a small town and he failed to realize how close his support base is to all these enemies he's creating. Now they are mobilizing against him and there's little he can do to look like he's not a massive jerk.

Even if he clings to office his reputation is sullied and his respect level low - it will be hard to see how he's going to get anything done. If he attracts any more lawsuits he's going to have to resign - the city is broke and spending tens of thousands to defend him is going to be unpalatable even to many of his supporters.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
If you believe that sexual harassment is a natural expression of human attraction..... That's disgusting.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I hope he goes kicking and screaming to the point that this will put him out of politics forever. He thinks he's a pro football player with zero boundaries and personally, I don't want some clown like this representing our City.

It doesn't matter what party you belong to, or like me, none. This is about personal responsibility.

Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Certainly the most comedic element of this whole thing...

The reality is that if you are bull-headed and aggressive in business (or politics) you are going to make enemies... that style can be very effective or it can fail miserably. Being a change agent requires a significant support base or you risk alienating all the people necessary to make the change occur. As someone who is a mellowing type-a aggressive competitor, I have been bitten many times by being too aggressive, too fast.

His miscalculation was thinking he could apply the same rules as congress to the mayor's office... SD is still in many ways a small town and he failed to realize how close his support base is to all these enemies he's creating. Now they are mobilizing against him and there's little he can do to look like he's not a massive jerk.

Even if he clings to office his reputation is sullied and his respect level low - it will be hard to see how he's going to get anything done. If he attracts any more lawsuits he's going to have to resign - the city is broke and spending tens of thousands to defend him is going to be unpalatable even to many of his supporters.
Absolutely 100% agree with you. Being a Congressman is totally different vs. Mayor. And Filner is quickly realizing that. There was a time in my life when I thought about going into politics but I realized early on that it's a dirty and ugly business. Especially at the local level in a town like San Diego.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
If you believe that sexual harassment is a natural expression of human attraction..... That's disgusting.
Amen. I really hope that we're misinterpreting his words because as someone that respects females so very much, it seems unfathomable that someone would have this logic and justify this horrible behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I hope he goes kicking and screaming to the point that this will put him out of politics forever. He thinks he's a pro football player with zero boundaries and personally, I don't want some clown like this representing our City.

It doesn't matter what party you belong to, or like me, none. This is about personal responsibility.
Yep. I don't think this has anything to do with Republic vs. Democrat vs. Independent thingy. Although, I disagree and hope he resigns sooner rather than later. And make NO mistake. His future political career is over. Done. Put a fork in it. Filner should feel thankful he will ride out of the office with a "golden parachute" of a generous pension, and free medical care for the rest of his life.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:42 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna_Driver View Post
So your daughter, mother, sister was slapped on the ass and told to bring some coffee your good with that?

You don't need to be flamed. You flame yourself.
Is that what he has done? I have not read that.

As to the comments about my family you know where you can put that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego