Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,770,445 times

Advertisements

Personally I believe he's a breath of fresh air that is finally standing up to the good ole boys network that has long been established over the years in SD. I don't mind some divisiveness, this city has been pretty drama free for a quite awhile now and it's about time someone starts to make some big changes in city hall even if it takes being a "Jerk".

I bet a lot of these long time staffers haven't had anybody get on their ass before, since the Repub mayors of the past got a long so well with all the big downtown developers and hotelier big shots. At least Filner is standing up for the working class people of SD like he said he was going to do, and that is one good reason why he didn't sign to release the money for the hotel marketeers. A tax that could be illegal, low pay wages for hotel workers that he wants increased, and more of that money should go back to the city.

Unless things get out of hand and he becomes reckless and doesn't do anything by lack of action, then that's when we can start making assumptions.

The guy just barely started his job of mayor, give him a full year, or 2 and we'll see how he performs at that time.

I personally didn't want him for mayor, but who else could have it been? I finally wanted a Dem mayor, and we got one, my guess is, that they are so many longtime conservative politicians on the inside, that he's secretly having to fight them off left and right, so I am sure the working environment at city hall isn't going so smooth for him right now.

He's a proactive and open mayor that's for sure.

He's been out everywhere recently, going to community meetings, supporting a San Diego family of the death of a loved one, speaking up for the ship-workers and talking about the importance of keeping the local jobs in SD protective from the Sequester. Sanders never did any of that stuff, he was so closed off from the public that it made he look very selfish and unsupported of anything that was going on in the city unless it had to do with some sort of construction project, or ribbon cutting ceremonies
The man was so isolated, so it's refreshing to see a mayor that cares and really wants to make a difference no matter how he does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I'm an independent voter. I think this dude is an extreme, hard line, partisan wrecking ball. The worst case scenario is the hostage stance he's taken on the tourism marketing deal.What money we'll get back is being lost in the amount of time he's delaying any new actual "marketing". He has union hands in his pocket and it appears to be nothing less than a payoff. His outburst with the CA was ridiculous. His photo op crap he pulls with special interests is straight up slap stick stuff you see on SNL. I don't think for a minute he cares about anything more than partisan politics in it's raw form. I can imagine he's a real treat to work for and from what I've heard people are scared crapless and fear for their jobs under his bully approach.

God I wanted Nathan Fletcher vs this guy.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
But oh that smile!

Can Do Anything - YouTube

"I'm a congressman... I can do anything I want!"

Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

So did i

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
But oh that smile!

Can Do Anything - YouTube

"I'm a congressman... I can do anything I want!"
Bahahahahaha! Dude looks like,the Grinch That stole Christmas.

Took this from his Wiki page
Quote:
Filner was born in Pittsburgh, in Squirrel Hill, into a Jewish family. He began his advocacy for civil rights at the age of 18 when he became one of the first people to set foot on a Greyhound bus that was headed into the Deep South on what would become known as the Freedom Rides. At the time he was an engineering student at Cornell University.[1] In June 1961, after pulling into the bus station in Jackson, Mississippi, Filner was arrested along with his co-riders for "disturbing the peace and inciting a riot." He refused to post bond for his release and remained incarcerated for two months.[2] His case was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court of the United States along with all the cases for other activists; the Court also overturned the laws for racial separation. Filner believes that what he did during that Freedom Ride is what he needed to do to have a say in what was happening. In Filner's own words he says "I've never been a passive person. I've always felt that, if you think something should be changed, it's your responsibility to actively pursue that change."[3]
Were in trouble!
This guy is never going to stop.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,384,106 times
I actually don't think everything he is doing is wrong. It's just that his abrasive style I'm not sure is going to make the working environment productive. I guess time will tell.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Oh, least I forget. His first order of the day was to slam the door on managed competition. This before he apparently even knew where we were with it. His post haste press conference just amplified the buffoonery. It has to be frustrating to speak at these events with persistent foot in mouth disease.That's not what I said, err what I meant, you read it wrong, what I actually said was, that information was jumbled, out of context.

Ya, whatever.

Voters approved managed competition. There is no reason to unravel it unless that reason is a favor to City workers who voted for him? The numbers in the savings speak for themselves. Has the City even lost a bid yet? I don't think so. Why would ridding the City of excess baggage be a bad thing? Process improvement? Streamlining? It reeks of corruption.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,133 times
I'm confused here.

Filner may be an ass, but don't we want people who go into office to change things they believe need to be addressed?

There's no question there's been a lot of palms greased and that a lot of the downtown hoteliers had a relationship that was way too cozy with past mayors.

Filner's way to address it may not be the most diplomatic but I'm glad someone's looking at it.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,567,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
So did I. The candidates that we got didn't inspire me. I voted Filner as the lesser of two evils, but I was hardly thrilled with the choice.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,348 times
He makes me nervous. I'm hoping things will get better but he seems to be at war with everyone including his own party members.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Filners Deputy Chief of Staff resigns. Coincidently, this is a day after Filner had a city attorney's staffer removed from a meeting with the use of police force.

Mayor Filner's deputy chief of staff resigns - San Diego, California News Station - KFMB Channel 8 - cbs8.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego