Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm brazilian, married, with an one year old daugther. I've been living in SD for almost 14 years. My husband and I have been thinking about move to Soufla, but we don't know for sure, cause we're afraid not to like it there. I believe is very different compares to CA. Here are the positives things: we'll be able to buy a nice house, 100% cash (no finance) maybe in Boca Raton, be closer to Brazil (cheaper ticket and less hours). What scares me is the hot. I need people's experience, people that lived in both cities before or one of those. Other great thing to consider is about job, cause we don't have the great job, I'm a nanny and my husband works as a cab driver. I'm looking forward to hear from you. Thx!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,338,911 times
I would try some of the Florida boards and ask about your professions. I lived in FL for years and hated the heat that was present half the year but it was a good place for both my husband and I to work our ways through college without debt, and even a buy a home on an average salary. Once you both got jobs- not sure how hard that would be, I think you would find the cost of living lower and I suspect your wages might not be much different, but you must do your own research. Crimewise, FL is a cesspool compared to San Diego. I literally witnessed a shooting and a handful of street beatings when I lived there. This was in Tampa, Boca Raton is not quite as bad but has plenty of crime.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 PM

20 posts, read 152,791 times
Hi Laibella!

Please know that this was our (my husband and I) experience, I'm just sharing it.
As it turns out we had been living in San Diego for about 11 years, when we decided to move to FL. Our priorities when we left were: cost of living (cheaper in FL), proximity to family (we have several relatives there) and closer to Puerto Rico, which is where we are from (so air tix are cheaper). We lived there 16 months, and returned to San Diego just last summer.

We spent about 4 months in West Palm Beach (about 20 minutes north of Boca Raton) and then moved to St. Petersburg/Tampa. In FL, the cost of housing is much more affordable, the cost of living (groceries, dining out, dry cleaners, etc) we found to be comparable to San Diego, and the salaries (depending on your industry/field/profession) are about the same or only slightly lower than in San Diego. Only bio/tech jobs pay a lot less, but this doesn't seem to apply to you.

Yes, it gets really hot and humid in the summer and the bugs are in a league of their own. However, the thing that we didn't quite like about FL was the overall quality of life. Most people we met (especially in St Petersburg/Tampa) had a gloomy, pessimistic view of life in general. They were unhappy with their hometown, lives, jobs, etc...but were too complacent to do anything about it, so they liked to complain. When people asked us where did we come from and we replied "San Diego," the usual reaction was a baffled look asking "Whyyyy!?!? Why would you leave San Diego to move here?" Most San Diego residents are very proud of the city and have nice things to say to guests and visitors. Most people we met in FL bashed and criticized the state, hometown and other Floridians.

The other thing that was very difficult to get used to was crime and safety. In San Diego, most of us know which neighborhoods and areas are safer than others, and were not to hang around after a certain time. In FL, super nice neighborhoods and incredibly dangerous zones are intertwined. You REALLY have to know your way around.

We tried desperately to like it there: we reached out to neighbors to make friends, explored different areas, attended local events, shopped local... but eventually, the constant pessimism and not feeling particularly safe got to us. And we started feeling really unhappy. And even though family was near, and things were generally cheaper, it didn't make up for us feeling depressed most of the time. So I guess, for us, it just wasn't a good fit -- and we returned to San Diego, which is not by any means perfect, but it's definitely our bright, warm home.

If you already have friends or relatives in Boca Raton, I would talk with them and ask about their lives there. What they like, what they wish was different, how would they describe the area to a complete stranger. Ask them about crime, traffic, the grocery store, house maintenance, their neighbors and going out at night. These are the things that make up every day life and will likely help you make a better decision.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 PM

73 posts, read 167,457 times
I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and I been living in San Diego for a few months. Just from the short time living here in SD i like South Florida waaay better. I like the Caribbean weather, the diversity in other Hispanic cultures, the clear water warm beaches, people here CANNOT drive!!!! the Mexicans drive like they are the only ones on the road and the Filipinos drive SLOW!!! im half Filipino too so im not picking on anyone ,also im not sure on taxes but i feel like i pay a TON of money in taxes here ( little example my wife bought the Iphone 5 when it came out and she PAID 199$ for it but we had to pay taxes on the retail price which was 699$ i was like why we paying 80$ in taxes and the guy at bestbuy said its a California thing u pay tax on the regular price not the sale price) thats one reason im not buying a car here taxes is way too high id rather buy a car back home and ship it here and save a couple grand. Sorry for my rant but if it was me id move to South Florida with the quickness.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,768,557 times
Never been to FL, but yeah it's pretty damn expensive here with the outragous housing cost, gas, and taxes, that's why I a moving out of here soon, I just can't afford it here any longer. I am sure Northern FL, like Tampa, is much different compared to South FL.

Even though San Diego is right next to Mexico, it doesn't feel like at times. There isn't as many Hispanics, or the same kind of Latino influence here in SD like Miami or it's surrounding cities from what is told to me by a lot of people. One major reason for that is because of LA. LA was where everybody lived and moved to almost 100 years ago. San Diego was a small town at the time compared to LA, so that is why more Latino's from all over the world live in LA than here since the majority of all industry and work was in LA.

SD overall does feel sorta "Middle America" (which has a lot to do with the military) and less Latino especially the farther north you go of the city, plus the border being here contributes to a lot of drug related crimes, which leads people to look down upon Mexicans in general and creates this sort of hostility towards Hispanics in SD. The Southern half is heavily Hispanic and Mexican, but not as dominating like say.........the majority of LA is. You still see a lot of White people in Chula Vista, but go to many parts of LA, and you'll none for miles! It's a trip.

When I visit LA, it's like crossing the border into TJ, lol

Old 02-28-2013, 03:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
Default a California thing u pay tax on the regular price not the sale price)

what! that is just not true....

Old 02-28-2013, 03:41 PM

581 posts, read 920,473 times
Default It is true

^^^^
I had to pay CA sales tax for the full price of my iPhone 5 at the AT&T store

Old 02-28-2013, 04:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
I would try some of the Florida boards and ask about your professions. I lived in FL for years and hated the heat that was present half the year but it was a good place for both my husband and I to work our ways through college without debt, and even a buy a home on an average salary. Once you both got jobs- not sure how hard that would be, I think you would find the cost of living lower and I suspect your wages might not be much different, but you must do your own research. Crimewise, FL is a cesspool compared to San Diego. I literally witnessed a shooting and a handful of street beatings when I lived there. This was in Tampa, Boca Raton is not quite as bad but has plenty of crime.
I went to Tampa for the first time last Fall and quickly realized I never have to go there again. And if it wasn't for family, I'd never step foot in Florida again.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,381,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I went to Tampa for the first time last Fall and quickly realized I never have to go there again. And if it wasn't for family, I'd never step foot in Florida again.

As usual you NAILED it sdurbanite. I went to Tampa about 2 years ago. We stayed in an amazing amazing house but you drive just 5 to 10 minutes and you see really shady areas. It was very depressing going there. We ended up spending most of our time in Clearwater and St. Petersburg. I couldn't believe how many businesses and storefronts were boarded up.

As Ymla77 mentioned, you'll probably see a lot of pessimistic and gloomy people in Tampa. Heck, if I lived there I probably would be depressed as well.

There are really nice parts of Florida. I'd have no desire to live there but I know many people are happy there. We have family near Sarasota and they really love it.

Real estate is dirt cheap there compared to San Diego. But there is a reason for that.

Yeah, it's easier to get to South America (Brazil) from Florida but I'm not sure I'd use THAT as an excuse to move to Florida. Unless you are going down every month or so? Do yourself a favor and spend significant amounts of time in the city you plan to live before moving there.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
I actually prefer FL to San Diego. Well, South FL, and maybe Central FL. San Diego is just too dry. Wildfires here happen always, and one gets tired of the brown landscape after a while. FL is so green in comparison, many different types of palm trees there because of the climate. It's so much warmer (ocean water is just a bit cooler than the Caribbean, and almost as clear). The heat and humidity isn't as bad as people say, but the bugs are pretty terrible. That's one thing I like better about San Diego. FL also stays warm at night-San Diego's nights do feel more refreshing, but they're just too chilly all year round! The ocean water here is also cold and dark, but San Diego has better coastal scenery and waves. San Diego's mountains are really pretty. FL has pretty marshes and wetlands, but is flat as a pancake. So weatherwise, I like San Diego, but FL is better. Another thing: FL is usually warm when it rains, so you can play in the rain. SD is too cold when it rains most of the time. FL gets awesome summer thunderstorms (which relieve humidity, repel bugs and cool things down). San Diego lacks this.

In terms of other things, South FL feels like the Caribbean, and has a heavy Latin influence. San Diego lacks diversity. South FL tends to be democratic (which I like), but San Diego is quite republican. San Diego is very expensive, while South FL is cheaper. But both places have lots to do.

I advise you visit the place, in summer, to see if you can handle the subtropical heat, laser-like FL sun and brutal humidity of the place. If you can, you'll be fine to move there, as the biggest real issue people have with deciding whether or not to move to FL is the summer weather. But since you're looking to move somewhere coastal, you'll get a nice refreshing breeze, so it won't be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego