Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 PM

223 posts, read 694,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over60 View Post
I didn't want to start yet another thread on the fire subject, so maybe somebody could answer these (pretty naive, I admit) questions:

Just because the winds seem to be dying down at this point, is this any reason to rejoice? How long does this darn Santa Ana season last anyway? Could the winds blast through the area in another week or so, and cause even more damage? (Of course there's probably little left to burn.)

Now for a really dumb question (keep in mind I'm a total greenhorn out here): As everybody knows it's inevitable that the annual Santa Ana winds will likely cause major havoc, why in the heck haven't brighter minds than mine (that would be almost everybody) come up with some preventive measures?

Let's say it's the end of August/early September. Couldn't there be a way to douse the lands closest to the houses with ocean water before those vicious winds kick in so as to keep them moist in the event of the worst scenario? Maybe on a daily basis? Wouldn't this be cheaper in the long run than having to later delcare this a Federal Disaster area -- which will require shelling out the big bucks? Or...because of the cinders that the winds toss hither and yon, would this just not be worth the bother?

Most of us are smart enough to eat right and exercise in order to prevent diseases...why can't we do the same regarding the whims of Mother Nature? Especially since we know we can pretty much count on her to sic the area with "mighty winds"?

Maybe we could all try to make contact with her a month or two prior to her "due date" (usually in October?). Make nice-nice....send out positive thoughts and affirmations. Might that be a solution? (It couldn't hurt!)
To extend a little bit on what sassberto has said, most of these fires were started by downed power lines. Many residential communities use Underground power distribution to avoid major fires starting in these areas, and it has helped quite a bit. More rural areas still have above ground lines, mainly because of cost and building limitations.

Dousing the land with ocean water would kill any vegetation present. "Ice" plants, or plants that do not require water to survive and are harder to burn have been planted en mass around the county for years.

We do have quite a bit of prevention in place - it's just that mother nature has been doing this for alot longer then we have, and she's a heck of alot more powerful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 11:14 PM

50 posts, read 185,885 times
Ahso. Well then, let's get to work with those positive thoughts and affirmations -- seems to be our only recourse.

Seriously!

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Were you planning to move to a very populated area or a rural area? If you live in a crowded area (high population density like most of LA or San Diego) your chances of having any sort of "wildfire" are really slim because the city fire departments jump on those really quickly. As you can see, they can really spiral out of control in a hurry -- so they jump on inner-city fires immediately.

Griffith Park had a fire in the last year. Griffith Park is surrounded on all sides by LA or big cities so the fire was a huge concern. If it had gotten outside of the Griffith Park boundaries, it would have really wreaked havoc! Anyway, they knocked it down after it chewed up part of Griffith Park but before it got to the homes.

I also saw a "Report of Fire" on the CHP website in the last few days. It was over near Dodger Stadium which is pretty much smack in the center of LA. That one was knocked down in less than an hour.

If you plan to live in a new suburb surrounded by wilderness, or you think you'd like to live where you have several acres all your own, well, you take your chances.

The firefighters will try to save the homes they can save. (This goes along with the "defensible space" that Sassberto talked about above.) In areas where the fires have gotten really bad, we've watched them save only one house (on TV) because it was the only house that had "defensible space" around it. There was a new home development they showed in Saugus that they were able to save because the builder built the homes with a huge "defensible space" behind the homes around the perimeter.

So, there are no easy solutions.

One more thing: If you have valuables or heirlooms or things you would *die* if they were destroyed -- you might think about getting a safety deposit box and a storage space in a "concrete block and steel single story" storage unit. I have one of each. It can be hard to get a storage space in the most desireable storage facilities, but it's worth it if you have things you really care about. The storage facilities are primarily built out of corregated steel and they are individually alarmed. They are pretty much "disaster proof" unless you have a flood. (So don't rent one in a flood area!) Single story corregated steel holds up well in earthquakes and fires.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:34 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I don't want this thread to turn into a Bush-bash thread, so let's try to stay on-topic as much as possible.

IMHO FEMA is a resource - but should not be expected to step in and deal with emergencies. They are a support resource at the discretion of the state and local government. In that way, our region showed how things are supposed to be done. Local and municipal governments communicated and coordinated closely. State government was onsite quickly and continues to be onsite. Technology was widely utilized to great success. And of course, our expert firefighters stepped up in a way that is inspirational to me.

FEMA has provided needed resources but I don't want to see the federal government stepping in unless it is a last resort. The ability of the county, state and city governments to work together and handle a crisis is a testament to the self-sufficient and hardy nature of California's people.

Over the next few weeks we will hear a lot of Katrina comparisons - and in my office today it was a topic on many's minds - but almost universally there was no dispute that our leadership stepped up, handled the situation, and made us all very proud. That is a rare thing in such a divided world we live in.
I agree. We can go bash Bush over in Politics and Other Controversies!

Still, it will bum me out if the Feds try to take credit for everything. California is really a great state and it's been wonderful at handling disasters. Even before Katrina, with the Northridge Earthquake in '94, California's first responders and emergency personnel were right on top of everything. There were National Guard on the streets on the DAY the Northridge Earthquake happened -- just to prevent looting!

Not only that, for all the cwap people talk about when they talk about Californians, we really come together when something happens. As much as I think I'd like to leave the state sometimes, I look at times like this and I think I could never leave the state. It's really just a great big gigantic wonderful state!

P.S. Did you hear the news this morning when they said Tijuana was sending us firefighting personnel and trucks? I thought that was really funny!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:07 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Clinton made showing up at disaster sites standard presidential practice. For any future president to do something other than that, creates a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. People, let it go.

I think Sassberto's point about FEMA is the more pertinent one. FEMA is not a "First Responder." It is merely an agency that backs up and resupplies the local and state authorities. If the state, county, and city, fail to provide leadership, FEMA can't give them a leadership transplant. It the local authorities respond with alacrity everyone comes out looking good. Clearly, San Diego's government agencies have been practicing for a repeat of the Cedar Fire, and the results have been good.

As for preventive measures, probably the only one that would be of any use would be to prohibit building in the back country or any further expansion at the exurban fringes. However, that would drive up the cost of housing in the urban core and the wildfire crisis would be substituted with a "housing affordability crisis." (Oh wait, we've already had that.) Personally, I would choose the housing affordability crisis, because I'm no fan of ever-expanding urban sprawl, and ever lengthening commutes. However, a democratic society would probably choose a combination of fire-prevention and affordable housing.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

50 posts, read 185,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Were you planning to move to a very populated area or a rural area? If you live in a crowded area (high population density like most of LA or San Diego) your chances of having any sort of "wildfire" are really slim because the city fire departments jump on those really quickly. As you can see, they can really spiral out of control in a hurry -- so they jump on inner-city fires immediately.

Griffith Park had a fire in the last year. Griffith Park is surrounded on all sides by LA or big cities so the fire was a huge concern. If it had gotten outside of the Griffith Park boundaries, it would have really wreaked havoc! Anyway, they knocked it down after it chewed up part of Griffith Park but before it got to the homes.

I also saw a "Report of Fire" on the CHP website in the last few days. It was over near Dodger Stadium which is pretty much smack in the center of LA. That one was knocked down in less than an hour.

If you plan to live in a new suburb surrounded by wilderness, or you think you'd like to live where you have several acres all your own, well, you take your chances.

The firefighters will try to save the homes they can save. (This goes along with the "defensible space" that Sassberto talked about above.) In areas where the fires have gotten really bad, we've watched them save only one house (on TV) because it was the only house that had "defensible space" around it. There was a new home development they showed in Saugus that they were able to save because the builder built the homes with a huge "defensible space" behind the homes around the perimeter.

So, there are no easy solutions.

One more thing: If you have valuables or heirlooms or things you would *die* if they were destroyed -- you might think about getting a safety deposit box and a storage space in a "concrete block and steel single story" storage unit. I have one of each. It can be hard to get a storage space in the most desireable storage facilities, but it's worth it if you have things you really care about. The storage facilities are primarily built out of corregated steel and they are individually alarmed. They are pretty much "disaster proof" unless you have a flood. (So don't rent one in a flood area!) Single story corregated steel holds up well in earthquakes and fires.

Hi there. I posted on an earlier thread that the apartment would be in the Balboa Park/Zoo area. I'm "on the list" at a senior complex (two of them, in fact).

I have a feeling my name will get closer to the top because of all this. (Some eligible out-of-towers may be too chicken to move to SD?)

I figure maybe by late spring, if I'm still brave enough to take a chance!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I just read this: FEMA faces wildfire, Katrina comparisons - CNN.com

and it made me ill! Where was FEMA on Monday? Those evacuation centers were set up by whoever was in charge in San Diego -- not FEMA! Everything moves smooth in California because we know we are going to have disasters.

Anyway, I hope people in other states don't count on FEMA stepping up to the plate in any sort of an urgent way if there is an emergency. FEMA shows up later! Days later!
Now Now.....Chertoff showed up.....in time to try and take the credit.......

Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Yes, I saw Bush a few hours ago on TV. I think it was cool of him to come out there and see first hand what is going on.

My thoughts and prayers are still with you guys in Ca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego