Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

Just saw this one today...

23, moving from ___________, have SAD, want to pay $800 for rent in an artsy community. Want to cycle for commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:44 AM

6,802 posts, read 6,715,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

23, moving from ___________, have SAD, want to pay $800 for rent in an artsy community. Want to cycle for commute.
You all could refer then to the CA general forum and Fresno, and I will take over from there.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:52 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post

The poster did say he didn't mind a little grit. Not so terribly unrealistic. I live in that area, I pay $825 for a great 1-bedroom cottage, and I often don't use my car at all on the weekends. If I worked anywhere within probably a 20-mile radius instead of escondido I'd be cycling to work myself.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Some perceptions of San Diego...

Quote:
It seems most of the girls here are from either broken families or grew up with the ghetto mentality or attitude. Everyone has to be tough or dangerous to get respect or something.
Quote:
We would like to live near the beach within like a 5 to 10 minute commute. Because the closer to the beach the better we are from surviving a wild fire if it may happen while we are in the area.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:59 PM

26 posts, read 32,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Safe, clean, walkable area, close to the beach and nightlife. I don't want to own a car. I want an artsy community with vegans and close to great schools and shopping. I have 3 pit bulls and run a small engine shop out of my garage. My budget is 600/mo

With the exception of the beach closeby, you just described parts of Portland. All vegan, all artsy, all the time. Lots of small "local, organic, sustainable" (note buzzwords!) boutiques for shopping, dogs welcome, entrepreneurs welcome (especially if they work in the local/organic/sustainable market). Rent is much higher though- you pay for that sutff- and wicked cold. But vegan, artsy, walkable. Check.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:04 PM

26 posts, read 32,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehjeh View Post
And the other side of the coin: Why don't people here dress up when they leave their homes? I went to the grocery store and saw people wearing shorts. Why are San Diegans so sloppy?

Funny that here, that's sought after. Nice restaurant? Birkenstocks and shorts in every direction. The Opera? Jeans and a hoodie. All that's required is that the jeans are A) 2nd hand, B) you have black rimmed glasses and C) bike to the location in question. Tell them to come here. (Sans sunshine, of course).

Old 04-19-2013, 08:19 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Artsy community in a military town? Artsy? I want to puke.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:43 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
How about this one
I lived in San Diego 20 years ago for 5months so I'm a expert on the people of San Diego

Old 04-21-2013, 04:50 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
I make $8.50 per hour, only work 10 hours per week, have no education to speak of, don't own a car because I've gotten four DUIs, and can't understand why I can't afford a 6000 sq ft mansion by the sea. What the hell? This place is horrible! In east Cow Plop, TX I could have all that for $350 per month even though it's 600 miles from the beach and the picture I linked to is a double wide instead of the mansion I said I wanted. And what is up with the Nazi cops out here? Sure, I had a few drinks but why the hell did they arrest me just because my BAL was four times the legal limit? I only ran over three people and two of them could have walked it off, I'm sure. Damn California liberals! This would never have happened in Texas.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:59 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleugirl View Post
With the exception of the beach closeby, you just described parts of Portland. All vegan, all artsy, all the time. Lots of small "local, organic, sustainable" (note buzzwords!) boutiques for shopping, dogs welcome, entrepreneurs welcome (especially if they work in the local/organic/sustainable market). Rent is much higher though- you pay for that sutff- and wicked cold. But vegan, artsy, walkable. Check.
That just sounds funny in some vegan artsy person having 3 pit bulls and a engine repair shop. Just doesn't match up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego