Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:56 AM

15 posts, read 21,644 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my first post here.

We are young married couple, both close to our 30s, no kids. We do not want to stay in Montreal for many reasons; language discrimination, very high cost of living (only rent is slightly cheaper than SD), extremely high taxes and very bad shape of Canadian economy and of course the weather .

My wife is American, so I can easily get the green card. I am an engineer with 4 years of experience in aerospace, also work as a waiter at a high class restaurant (7 years of experience). My wife is make up artist with over 6 years of experience on 5th av NYC (cosmetics retail industry).

Now, we do realize that we are moving to an "expensive" city, but she is from NYC and I'm from Canada, so it is actually cheap compared to where we live/lived.

Few points:

- We DO NOT want a house, we will probably always rent or buy our own condo.
- We DO NOT want to live 2 min away from the beach, but do not want to be too much inland as well.
- We will learn Spanish. We already speak 3 languages including French, so it will be relatively easy for us.
- We will come with substantial savings, probably around 80-100K
- We do not mind to be in "Mexican areas", as long as the area is relatively clean and is not high crime.
- We will visit SD this summer, to look at different areas and options and probably will move by next summer (2014).

My questions are:

What are some good areas considering the criteria above? We do not want to be in DT, but also not deep suburbs. We prefer large appartment complexes, but it all depends on the price. Also, weather is important, not too far inland.

Our chances to find jobs. I uderstand that I might not get an engineering position right away (even though I can ask for a transfer, we have a n office in SD, but not sure they will take me, considering I only have 4 years), but with 4 languages and multiple skills, should I be able to get something pretty quickly?

Restaurants in San Diego. It was always my dream to open one and I have couple of interesting ideas. I would never do it in Montreal (hate this city), but maybe we can do it in SD? Is SD saturated with restaurants just like Montreal and NYC.

My wife does not drive (NYC girl, no need a car). She will obviously learn, but how difficult it will be for her in the beginning? It is not easy in Montreal, public transportation sucks.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
It sounds like you'd want to look in the central neighborhoods, such as Mission Hills, Hillcrest, Kensington ... some else can provide a better list.

A lot of aerospace engineering here is by government contractors. With you not being a US citizen, you might have an issue getting a security clearance, which would limit your opportunities. Even if you did have security clearance, the job market here isn't wonderful. If you can manage to transfer, that would be preferable.

San Diego can always use another good restaurant. It is saturated with mediocre restaurants, but not with really good restaurants.

Public transportation here is also pretty bad, especially as you go farther outward: Transit.511sd.com

Drivers in San Diego are horrible - non-skilled, selfish, and aggressive. That will make learning to drive more difficult. But that may be something that you are already accustomed to.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks!

Job market can't be worse than in Montreal, with our 10-11% unemployement rising every year.

Drivers here are THE WORST.

As for aerospace, I am not aming at aerospace only, any mechanical or industrial engineering will do. Not sure about US, but in Canada engineers work pretty much everywhere, banks, consulting etc.

I looked at those areas you listed, and rent is pretty much similar to Montreal rent. How long is the drive to the beach from these areas?

Also, I am European and used to have these little pastry shops all around. Are there many in SD? It might be an opportunity for us to start our own business. Honestly, I am not really interested to work for someone anymore, I'd prefer to establish family owned business. Ideally we would work and manage our restaurant/deli/SPA (my wife can manage it).

What is REALLY missing in SD? I also work in one of the best sushi restaurants in Canada and know a lot about it, how is sushi market in SD?

Sorry to bombard you guys/girls weith all these questions, but we are really serious about moving to SD.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:42 PM

Location: San Diego via Orange County via Toronto via Rome Italy
390 posts, read 795,377 times
I'll tell you what's missing . . . . . POUTINE!!

Just kidding.

I'm a Civil Engineer, originally from Toronto. My move here was a transfer. Getting an engineering job will be challenging. The job market here is still very tight. The down economy is a big factor . . .but also the fact that San Diego is a bit of a limited market and it's tough to climb the corporate ladder . . . far better to be transferred here in a fairly senior position that to try and start from the bottom. Not to discourage you, but just giving a heads-up.

Restaurant-wise - agree with other post that SD could use more excellent restaurants . .. not necessarily 5-star high-end, but more inventive and different. A Euro-style pastry shop MIGHT do well . . .though you should know that while SD is a city, it's not a particularly big one, and being in California, there are really no high-density walking/shopping streets as you are used to in Europe or Montreal . . . most of the city is very car-dependent so the "walk-by" clientele is limited.

Neighborhoods - there's a stretch of cool urban neighborhoods parallel and south of I-8 Mission Valley . . . Mission Hills, Hillcrest, Kensington . . . these are the most hip-urban areas we have, and they are all 15 minutes or less from the good beaches.

Driving - your wife will have a pretty easy time. I know, everyone thinks every other driver is BAD (and conversely, that they themselves are above-average . . . which is statistically impossible). My own observation is that some SD drivers tend to be inattentive/distracted, and in certain touristy areas you'll have . . .tourists. But overall it's not bad, and the streets are MUCH more laid out in orderly grid pattersn - nothing like Europe or Montreal.

Coming from Montreal, driving will seem like child's play. For those not familiar . . . my old professor put it well: "Montreal is a blend of English and French culture - and this includes driving. The English Way is lawful, but vindictive to those who break protocol. The French way is lawless, but it's a friendly kind of lawless. Put them together, you get the Montreal driver - lawless and vindictive."

Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 AM

Fantastic, thanks!

For some reason I am not too corcenred about getting a job. I can work in purchasing, quality, customer support, banks... Does not have to be engineering. I can also work as a waiter

I will do more research and when time comes I will ask for a transfer, nothing to lose anyway.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschibuola View Post
I'll tell you what's missing . . . . . POUTINE!!
A messy order of Carne Asada Fries > Poutine!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Also, what about Chula Vista? Rent is pretty cheap and it looks like it is not too far from downtown. Could it be a good location for 1-2 years?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestati View Post
Also, what about Chula Vista? Rent is pretty cheap and it looks like it is not too far from downtown. Could it be a good location for 1-2 years?
Depends on what area of Chula Vista. East Chula Vista is pretty nice but suburban. West Chula Vista is not the nicest. You really don't want to live south of downtown San Diego. What kind of engineer are you? There are some pretty good companies in San Diego where you could apply. I have spent a lot of time in Montreal. I did consulting at the SIDBEC-DOSCO steel plant down the river from Montreal. I loved visiting Montreal but would not want to live there. You will like San Diego very much. It is a great place to live. I would look at some of the areas in North San Diego.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,274,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hestati View Post

Before we start throwing areas out in all directions just based on price alone, what are your expectations? What one person sees as "you dont want to live south of downtown San Diego" is totally different for someone else.
I am not trying to make the argument that this is a false perspective, because in many ways it is spot on but again relative to your expectations. Being that you want to live close to downtown San Diego, I dont agree with living in northern San Diego county unless you are near the Coaster or Surfliner train that goes up and down the coast, which goes into downtown SD. Otherwise the northern parts of the county will leave you stranded with dismal mass transit options.

What area of Montreal are you in now and is this the same type of area you want to live in or something nicer? What i mean are the cultural things you would want. Because Chula Vista has a strong latino population. For some people this is a sign that you should not live there. But I have been to some run down parts of Montreal as well that dont even come near what 'bad' is here. Not even close.
I have no problems with Chula Vista. Its not a first choice to live, but can be acceptable especially for 1-2 years.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Before we start throwing areas out in all directions just based on price alone, what are your expectations? What one person sees as "you dont want to live south of downtown San Diego" is totally different for someone else.
I am not trying to make the argument that this is a false perspective, because in many ways it is spot on but again relative to your expectations. Being that you want to live close to downtown San Diego, I dont agree with living in northern San Diego county unless you are near the Coaster or Surfliner train that goes up and down the coast, which goes into downtown SD. Otherwise the northern parts of the county will leave you stranded with dismal mass transit options.

What area of Montreal are you in now and is this the same type of area you want to live in or something nicer? What i mean are the cultural things you would want. Because Chula Vista has a strong latino population. For some people this is a sign that you should not live there. But I have been to some run down parts of Montreal as well that dont even come near what 'bad' is here. Not even close.
I have no problems with Chula Vista. Its not a first choice to live, but can be acceptable especially for 1-2 years.
To be honest, If I were him I would live right in downtown San Diego but I don't think that is what he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego